Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
rahhlady
Registered Users
seller

I cannot do this :(

I cannot deal with the terrible two's and be pregnant. I am so exhausted I cannot see straight. I have no patience for the constant trouble my DS causes, who used to be the easiest kid ever. I don't understand why he can't play with his toys, watch TV, or just be good in general. He jammed three discs into my husbands playstation. Won't keep any light switches off in the house. gets into everything. Won't stay in the same room as I and I can't let him wander for more than a minute because he is getting into things I am so frustrated all I want to do is cry. No punishments work. Naptime is a huge struggle. How am I ever going to handle two? All I ever seem to do is yell and punish these days.

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
lovinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I cannot do this :(

you can do it momma! Remember that the twos are hard.. and your are pregnant.. which makes things harder. I would suggest picking one behavior to work on with him.. and just focusing on that. It will get better. *hugs* I have two right now and am almost 34 weeks pregnant and have had days where I'm just utterly exhausted and tired and feel like I am raising my voice etc. I just remind myself I'm human.. I hug my girls.. apologize and move on with the day. I try to pick one or two things to do with them (reading a book or coloring) and then even if its been a hard day I can focus on the few things I feel like I did well with them.. if that makes sense. It's hard. And I saw that you lost a baby before this pregnancy. I lost a baby inbetween the girls adn remember when I was pregnant with my youngest I was also dealing with feeling secure in the pregnancy.. etc. Everything felt more compounded. Hang in there!
I love Jesus Christ. I love my husband. I love my two little girls. Lydia Ann is here! She was born on January 7th weighing 5lbs 7 ounces. She survived birth and we are on day 15. It is a miracle that she is still with us, the doctors had told us that there was no hope for her survival. She still has severe brain damage and we are praying for a miracle, that Jesus would reform her brain. you can learn more about our family's journey at: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/l...createorsignin
lovinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there!! I went through the same thing (well, similar, she was great about not getting into things) with DD when pregnant with DS. It was like a light switch flipped in her one day and she was suddenly "2". Screaming fits putting on her coat, thrashing while I tried to wrestle her into her car seat.. I was physically exhausted.

Can you shut/lock the doors to the rooms you don't want him in? Borrow a baby gate from someone? Bribe him to stay with goodies? (Sometimes pregnancy is about survival!) Remember that he can sense your stress and that may make him act up more.. when things get crazy try to give him some positive one-on-one time and lay on the couch and read him a book or tell him a story, whatever fills his love tank. The pp is right, mommies make mistakes too and it is good for young children to see their parents mess up and then fix it the right way. Your children will learn so much more from a parent who messes up but shows love and humility in apologizing than a parent who is seemingly perfect, or worse, makes mistakes and doesn't apologize!

You can make it!! This is a phase and they don't last forever!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
philenabean
Registered Users

I'm so sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. The good news is you should have a little more energy to deal with your son in the second trimester! I also agree with using some bribery and goodies to get him to behave. Do you have any relatives/friends who could help out with child care once in a while? Sounds like you could use a break!
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
rahhlady
Registered Users
seller

I wish. My husbands mom is busy most of the time with church and stuff, plus she doesn't know I am pregnant yet so it would be weird to ask her, she may suspect. My family is off limits after I let him have some time with his grandma on black Friday while we shopped and she took medication that knocked her out... slurred speech, falling everywhere... she is never allowed to watch him again.

As far as the rooms, it's the kitchen that is the hardest part and it has no door.

Thanks for making me feel better guys, I just am having such a hard time dealing with all of this. I just finished with a 14 credit hour college semester and I work a few days a week so I am just about ready to fall apart.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He sounds like my LO. This might make you feel better and may not, but at the post office this morning an elderly lady was in line in front of me. She said: Oh, you must be tired, I had 4 girls and one of them was like yours. They totally exhaust you and there is nothing you can do about it. They do grow it out hon, so hang in there!

I nearly hugged the woman because despite me telling my husband, my friends, my dad that she is busier than all (but one) of her friends, they always just say: That's the terrible two's for you. You are not strict enough with her etc.

My god, this woman had 3 others to compare her busy kid to and then immediately recognized it in mine! I don't feel so alone and useless anymore. There is just nothing I can do to make it better.

I have decided a long time ago to stop fighting many of the battles and just stick to some.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been having the same issues here. I have a DS with a lot of behavioral issues. We just had another appointment with his psychiatrist today, in fact. In the first trimester and for part of the second, I just wanted to die. I mean literally wanted to die. I was so tired and frustrated and overwhelmed, that during one month I think I only showered every 3 days. And I barely wanted to eat either. It was so freaking hard! It seemed insurmountable.

People would try to give helpful advice, but sometimes there aren't a lot of good solutions. People told me to take him to daycare for a break - I would only do it for a few hours during my appointment time. But that created more work since DS came back sick all.the.time. Then I had to deal with a sick 2 year old! Or I would take him to certain therapies twice a week for an hour each time. And during that hour all he did was kick and scream and cry. And it is NOT fun to hold onto a 2 year old having a fit for an hour!

I don't think there are easy answers. I wish someone could help you. I would definitely get some help after your baby is here. DS's psychiatrist says that toddlers with behavioral issues often will act up MUCH more after the new baby arrives. But at least then you won't have the physical burdens (of pregnancy) that you do now.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Take a breath, and do what you have to do. I have 2 year old twins, and a 5 year old, and a 6 year old. Take a HARD look at your schedule. See when you can sleep. If nap time isn't working maybe the time needs to be changed. Go to bed as soon as the 2yo. Don't think about everything you have to get done because if you try and do it with out sleeping long enough it's always going to be more of a struggle. Streamline things best you can--I call the first trimester the trimester with out hobbies. I stop doing all things that are not productive to moving forward or keeping my house running. I limit errands.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Big hugs.

Having been through 2 and working on the 3rd going through the 2's I can tell you honestly, that consistency is the key. All the training and hard work required right now will reap the benefits of a well behaved, happy, smart, talented, and independent child. One of my favorite parenting books is the Spirited Child, it helped give me some great tools that I still use today with my now 7 year old spirited son. My girls didn't required quite the intense one on one, but I had a triple dose with my son. I saw almost immediate results with Zack and it was great, since I thought for sure I was the worst mother in the world not being able to even understand my own child, and I was a psych major in college!

The best encouragement of all, is that this too shall pass. It is really such a short period of their little lives, when they discover their own personality. I really try to focus on the amazing person emerging and it helps get through the bathroom floods, the gallon of milk burst open on the floor, and the bag of cereal ground into the carpet.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
fluffymailaholic
Registered Users
seller

Melissa, I'm working on reading that book right now! DS is only 17 months and he's not like all the examples in the book, but I definitely see some similarities! You've inspired me to keep reading it. He will turn 2 a day before my due date so I am in for crazy times with a 2 year old and a newborn. I'm just trying to save up my strength for then....