Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
ladeeda
Registered

Stopping breastfeeding? Is this selfish?

So I have a bit of a dilemma. My hubby will be deployed in April and I really want to get pregnant again before he leaves. I'm in my mid 30s and want to have at least 2 more kids and well time isn't exactly on my side. DS is a little shy of 3 months and I'm exclusively breastfeeding him and think this will seriously limit my chances of conceiving. So we are considering pausing breastfeeding and switching him over to formula and then try to get pregnant and then either way whether i get preg or not in april I will start breastfeeding DS again.
What do you guys think I should do? Would you stop breastfeeding at such a young age. I feel selfish and am torn but really want to expand my family as well. I know my son will be fine on formula since it is enriched, etc but still would feel bad that I am not breastfeeding. I don't know what I should do??

Advertisement

ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

Re: Stopping breastfeeding? Is this selfish?

Could you cut back quite a bit and then attempt to increase your supply once you are pregnant? I don't know if that would work or not. I assume it would but who knows. You might not be able to increase your supply but the cutting back part would probably be ok.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Given the choice, I wouldn't stop breastfeeding a 3 month old just to get pregnant. I do understand the deployment and age dilemma. My DH is also deploying, in May. Even if your DH's deployment is a year, and you waited to get pregnant, your kids would still be close in age. Your body isn't yet recovered from your last pregnancy and birth, take the time to heal and spend with your new LO.
, ,
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Given the choice, I wouldn't stop breastfeeding a 3 month old just to get pregnant. I do understand the deployment and age dilemma. My DH is also deploying, in May. Even if your DH's deployment is a year, and you waited to get pregnant, your kids would still be close in age. Your body isn't yet recovered from your last pregnancy and birth, take the time to heal and spend with your new LO.
You could also if you were really set on trying give it a try while BFing. I got preggo with DS2 while BFing no problem it did however, completely kill my supply. I am also mid 30's.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, for me personally you hit the nail on the head, I would feel like it was to selfish.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't do it. I don't think it's selfish, but there's a chance that you won't be able to just start BFing again or get pregnant either.

Using my DS app, please excuse the lack of proofreading.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ddc

I say if you're meant to be pregnant it will happen even while your bf. My DH has been away this entire pregnancy and its very hard being alone.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, it stinks that so many of our Dhs are deploying

I wouldn't stop bfing just to try for a new pregnancy. I have had two pregnancies while nursing, they were both when the nursling was over a year and I was able to keep my supply throughout the pregnancy and then tandem nurse. Your fertility may not return in time even if you stop nursing. I hate scheduling a pregnancy around deployments, the last two babies were .
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
Laurshar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd also like to add that there is a chance that even if you did get pg, it might not go full term. I know many (seriously a lot, me included) people that got pg quickly after delivery, and all miscarried. I got pg when DS was 6 months and we lost that little one it was really too soon for my body even though I was in great health.
Lauren, mama to C & D, owner of Triquetra. Currently TTC baby #3! My ISO/IHA
Laurshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

I agree with people. I wouldn't stop bfing... It will happen if it's meant to happen. But also - after DS I breasfed exclusively until 6 months, and kept going until almost 2 years... And I was fertile within the 3rd month. I didn't know it till AF arrived.

I think for me it was because that was when DH started taking him once at night so I could sleep. I researched it after and found out that if there's a period through a 24 hour period that you don't nurse - I think it was for 4-5 hours or so, that your body registers that as "sleeping thorugh the night" and often your fertility returns. I have a friend who just didn't do well with waking up, and she started using one bottle feeding in the night that her DH would do to get rest. She ended up getting AF, and more rest, and her little girl had no problem with this much formula, and yet still getting the benefits of breastmilk.

So if it was me and I felt the way you do I might be comfortable doing something like this, but I wouldn't stop altogether, I think it's too important to the health of baby.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote