Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please explain preterm labor feelings to me...

At my routine sono 2 weeks ago, my cervix looked fine. I am 22 weeks on Wednesday. However, since then I have been having odd sensations. NOT Braxton-Hicks. This is my 5th baby, so I know what normal, even very strong Braxton-Hicks are! I also know when labor is almost here because they start to 'feel' in my cervix.

What I feel over the last week or so is an occasional cramp- like a menstrual cramp or- sorry for tmi - almost like the beginning of an orgasm-y cramp. (I feel it on my cervix like I would a 'real' labor contraction, but it doesn't hurt. However, my contractions don't hurt till I am in transition, so pain isn't really a reliable thing to look for, for me.) Then once it passes, I have a bit of heartburn for a couple minutes.

Obviously I am reporting this to my midwife (I hope she doesn't overreact or anything). At first I thought it might just be gas, due to the accompanying heartburn, but 2 nights ago it happened while driving and it really got my attention.

Today I decided to count, it may have happened 2x, but now that I am aware of it, I am hyper-aware and I think I may be paranoid and feeling it when it isn't happening- gah!

Anyway, can you describe what YOUR too-early contractions felt like?

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My water broke at 28 weeks with my last one. I just remember feeling blah that day, just really tired and body achy, not normal at all. Almost like the beginnings of a flu...then my water broke that night and I had a partial placental abruption also. I didn't go into labor though. I was on strict hospital bed rest with IV Antibiotics, mag sulfate, etc until I developed an infection at 30 weeks.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had sensations like this with my 5th pregnancy, started spotting at 35 weeks and drs assured me not to worry and I had lots of ultrasounds, nst's and again nothing to worry about,. At 35w6d I thought my water broke but it was blood, pouring out of me, a couple pints to be exact I wasn't in labor, my cervix was long and closed but but I was contacting like crazy. It was the scariest situation I've ever been in, luckily my baby was delivered by emergency csection and was a healthy 5 pounder, the problem was a placenta abruption that went undetected. I'm not saying I think this is what's going on with you, but I will say take it easy and listen to your body. I knew something wasn't right and I had never had those feelings or that Intuition with my other babies.

Deirdre~married to Joe, the love of my life & Momma to our 5 great kids- Emily {5/07}, Lilly {11/08}, Joseph {7/10}, Maggie {7/12} & Daisy {7/14}

Last edited by mommadeeof4+; 04-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.
mommadeeof4+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please explain preterm labor feelings to me...

Thanks, ladies.

I will try to get extra rest. I haven't had these sensations with my other pregnancies at all either, and I am very tired since these odd things started.

Time tells all, I suppose. In the mean time, you just have to stay calm, right?
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
cjdetweiler
Registered Users
seller

I felt very tired and had some cramping and inconsistent spotting over 2 weeks. I mentioned it to my doc at my next appointment. She checked me out and nothing seemed wrong, no dilation or any indications that I was at risk for preterm labor (especially cuz I'm s FTM) 4 days later my water broke and labor started.
cjdetweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Woke feeling flu-ish. Had a tiny amount of blood and decided to go to the doc. Was at a 2 at 22 weeks. Lost my poor sweetie the next day, due to undiagnosed incompetent cervix and a retro placental hematoma.

I had been in 3 times from 14 weeks on with strange cramping. Every time cervical length was fine, even about a week before.

My advice is not to scare you, but please listen to your body! You know yourself better than anyone! If at all possible with 4 other kids, rest as much as you can until 24 or even better 28 weeks. And bug your doc/ midwife if something doesn't feel right. That's their job and they knew they would deal with crazy hormonal women when they chose their profession
Titus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My last baby came a little early 36 weeks and I started having preterm labor at 34 weeks. Basically the first time it was all in my back, just waves of pain. I went to the hospital and they said I was contracting but they stopped on their own. After that my contractions just felt like normal labor contractions.