Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody ever donated their cord blood?

I looked into it too, but decided against it when I found out that MY baby would benefit greater receiving it after birth via delayed clamping, than down the line IF she got sick and IF whatever she had (or someone else's child) could be treated w/cord blood.

I am rH- & that is an even greater risk for not doing delayed clamping, according to my doctors, midwives, etc. It is also super costly to bank.

I loved the idea of doing it & even found a place to take it after our homebirth (no charge from our doctor to collect it either), but again, I declined after learning what I did. Also, our doctor said there could still possibly be enough blood to collect even after the cord stopped pulsating... it just depended upon how things went... but I decided we didn't need to any any more stress to the mix to even try to collect it... as it was, I had a waterbirth surrounded by boxes everywhere because we had moved a few weeks prior & were only in a temporary house, so things did not get unpacked... that was stressful enough .

OT, but not entirely... here's a thought... knowing there are stem cells in umbilical cords & knowing cord blood can possibly be used in the event someone else can use it (or the child him/herself), WHY do they THROW it out all day long at hospitals as medical waste?!?!? For every cord they throw out, how many potential lives could be helped?!?! Makes no sense...

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

We signed up for donation with DD, but she was a csection baby and there was a some complication with the placenta (not hazardous to me or baby) that ended up with the harvest team not being able to draw enough blood out for the donation
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

The article that I was reading was talking about the fact that most of the banks that charge are basically a scam (they implied this). If your child would develop a blood disorder that would require a marrow transfusion (and cord blood could be used instead) the child's banked blood would be no good anyway because it would most likely contain the same bad blood your child had (makes sense to me). And if you want to bank it for another child who already is at risk of a serious blood disease the donation banks will store the cord blood for free earmarked for your family if your child meets the requirements.

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

And there is no cost to donate the cord blood.... at least there isn't supposed to be. It would be like the Red Cross charging for people to donate blood at the blood mobile.

The expense comes in if you just want to bank your cord blood for a rainy day.....

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmm... that makes sense.
challmeyeralways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have to say I was not informed of what delayed clamping was at the time. My dr explained it as things were happening. Since I was anemic, he was early, barely 6lbs and at risk for respiratory problems my dr decided it was best. I am so thankful for him! He was still wicked away right after but I got that extra 2 min with him!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

We banked DS cord blood. It was expensive but they work with you on payment. I have no regrets about it. If you decide to delay cord cutting you can always TRY to do it. If there is not enough blood they don't charge you. I want to do it again with this baby but admittedly finances are much tighter so I am not sure how we will afford it. I also want to delay cord cutting if possible so that may mean not enough blood.

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 12-21-2011 at 08:29 AM.
FerventlyDreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've looked into it for a while. The general consensus is very rarely do people end up needed their own CB so it is commonly really expensive peace of mind. Donating on the other hand seems to be a really good way to go. Your gift could save the life of another's child. The more people that donate the higher chance there will be a good match for your family if needed.

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DDC. We donated the cord blood from baby #2 (4/2009). I was excited when I found out that my hospital was a collection site for a public bank. We delayed clamping and there was plenty left. My OB and the nurses said that they have never seen that much before. So even if you want to delay clamping, go for it! If you don't have enough then at least you gave it a shot. Gonna do it again with #3 (6/2012?).
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote