Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
~MamaMayhem~
Registered Users
Formerly: azmansmom
seller

My Mood:
Dilation and Effacement as a labor timer? ISO experience

Hi, mamas! A few questions for you;
How dilated were you and for how long before labor started?
How effaced was your cervix and for how long before labor?
How soon after the baby locked in place did labor start?
Any important changes you noticed before the onset of labor? ( besides the obvious: mucus plug, show, water broke etc)

Due in about a week and curious about what others mamas experienced before labor. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dilation and Effacement as a labor timer? ISO experience

I was effaced about 60% for about 2 weeks before labor and dilated to a 2 a few days beforehand. Baby was not engaged before active labor. I only had mucus plug, show and water breaking well into active labor.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was about a 3-4 for at least a week before my last birth. The only good indicator for me that labor was actually close was bloody show. I can say from my personal experience that once I see bloody show I will have a baby within 12 hrs That's good enough for me
Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have any cervical checks, so I can't say much about that, but I will say that I felt exactly the same the night I went into labor as I did every other night. I was 40 weeks exactly, I don't think she had dropped at all, and the only signs I had were mild contractions starting 10 minutes apart and loose bowels. I don't remember losing a mucous plug, I have no idea when my water broke, but it must have been just a few hours later during transition. So for me, it was totally unpredictable. I had no braxton hicks or "practice" contractions, either. 5 hours start-finish.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can say from my experiences it has been pretty different each time.

Baby 1- 3cm dilated at 40+1, first sign strong contractions that night, had baby 5.5 hours later. zero early labour and was 5cm when i got to the hospital, 3 hours later born.

Baby 2- no checks before labour, lost plug in morning, mild and irregular contractions for 5 hours and shocked to be 7cm when arriving at hospital thinking I was still in early labor, strong regular contractions began about 1 hour before baby was born. It took 4 hours to go from 7-10cm but with very mild contractions most of that time, so 'slower' than my first but definitely easier.

Baby 3- no checks ever, lost plug at 7am, water leak at 7:30, contractions started and got strong and regular around 8, baby born less than an hour and a half later. So once again, very fast active labor.

I know with subsequent babies baby can drop and then float up again a few times, that happened to me with my third, my midwife would say she was really low at one appt and then high up the next week (not by checking internally though).

Before all of my babies i felt no different really prior to going into labour. Actually I think I was having less BH than I had the previous nights, maybe baby was just resting and getting ready.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was 80% effaced and 3cm dilated 2 days before I had Lennon. I lost my plug the day before I had him.

ETA: Oh, and I was at +3 station

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 12-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My last pregnancy (2 weeks ago) I was 3 cm and 70 percent effaced at 32 weeks. By 36 weeks I was 4 cm and 80 percent. I delivered at 39 w 3 d. Was 5 cm and 90 percent effaced when we got to the hospital. I did modified bedrest from 32-36 weeks. I was engaged at 39 weeks.

Typicaly only first babies engage earlier than actual labor.

My 6 th pregnancy was just about the same.

Last edited by ktmelody; 12-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmansmom View Post
Hi, mamas! A few questions for you;
How dilated were you and for how long before labor started?
With #1 I was about 1-2 cm and 50% effaced for about 2 weeks before induction due to pre e, #2 I was 75-80% effaced and 3-4 cm dilated for over 4 weeks, and #3 75-80% effaced and 3-4 cm dilated for about 3 weeks before my induction
How effaced was your cervix and for how long before labor?
The only spontaneous labor I had was with #2 and i was 3-4 cm for at least 4 weeks

How soon after the baby locked in place did labor start?
The only one who ever engaged on her own before labor was #1. #2 didn't engage until I had been pushing for about 30 minutes and #3 engaged about 30 minutes before she was born
Any important changes you noticed before the onset of labor? ( besides the obvious: mucus plug, show, water broke etc)
nope
Due in about a week and curious about what others mamas experienced before labor. Thanks!
kk
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I don't recall exact percentages but I was dilated, effaced, engaged, and having regular contractions at 36 weeks. Even the midwife said they weren't Braxton hicks and I'd have the baby "this week"... but then (with no significant intervention or bed rest, and with continued cx every night) DS was born at 40 weeks (to the hour, I think, lol).
Old 12-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I refused to be checked after week 36 (for both PGs) so I have no idea about dilation or effacement.

I had no other clues about when labor would start though.

DS dropped at 32 weeks and then again at 36 and he satyed there. DD never dropped.

I never got a bloody show with either.

With DS, I only noticed I was losing my MP at the very end (the last few pieces about 3 weeks before the delivery). With DD,I was losing bits and pieces of my MP for the last 3 weeks before she was born.

I had no BH contractions with DS. He was so quiet those last 3 weeks, I nearly thought he had died.

With DD, I had tons of prodromal labor for easily the last 4 weeks.

I wish I had had a clue somehow, but there really was nothing so boldfaced and within 24hrs that made me think Aha! the time has arrived.