Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dilation and Effacement as a labor timer? ISO experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmansmom View Post
Hi, mamas! A few questions for you;
How dilated were you and for how long before labor started? 1cm for 5 weeks
How effaced was your cervix and for how long before labor? 50% effaced for 5 weeks
How soon after the baby locked in place did labor start? She was -2 station when water broke.
Any important changes you noticed before the onset of labor? ( besides the obvious: mucus plug, show, water broke etc) I had 11 weeks of PTL before DD was born. My only real sign was mucus plug and bloody show Christmas morning, 11:30ishpm Christmas night my water broke after a really painful contraction. Other contrax that day were very minor.

Due in about a week and curious about what others mamas experienced before labor. Thanks!
Now my aunt was totally different. 1st pregnancy water broke at 35 weeks. Her whole 2nd pregnancy she was scared she wouldn't know she was in labor, it happened. She only had pretty bad back pain. She moved her Dr appt up, had she not there is a good chance she would have delivered at work or home.

Everyone is different. I have known women to walk around 4-5cm dilated for weeks before delivery. Others to go from totally closed to and not effaced at all to labor in hours.

I know it isn't real encouraging.

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got checked at 40 weeks, 2 days and was 1 cm & 65% effaced. He was born at 40 weeks and 6 days. The day before he was born I started having contractions pretty regularly throughout the day, but nothing that was enough to consider I was in labor. I checked myself and had maybe dilated to a 2 & thinned a little bit more. He was born the next day at 1:34pm.

Using my DS app, please excuse the lack of proofreading.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
katerinaprice
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My most recent (3rd) I was 40% and 1.5cm at 30wks. Since both my previous pregnancies resulted in preemies, I was placed on strict bed-rest. At 35wks I was 60% and 3cm and started procardia to stop BH. At 38wks I was 75% and still 3cm. I delivered at 38wks 4days a healthy baby girl and wonderful precipitous birth!
katerinaprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
~MamaMayhem~
Registered Users
Formerly: azmansmom
seller

My Mood:
Well, I will go ahead with my experience since my precious baby girl is here now!

I was dilated to a 2 at 38 weeks, not effaced at all. Had been loosing my MP for about a week or so, although I didn't know it at the time, just suspected.
Woke up at 3 am on the morning of the 21st to go to the bathroom and lost the rest of the MP. Felt minor contractions and went to the bathroom again at 4 and found the show. Had that all day with minor contractions until things started picking up around 4 or 5 pm. Went in at 10:30 with contractions 3-5 min apart and was only dilated to 3 and 60% effaced. She was born at 8:42 am on the 22nd.
In hindsight I can say I had been feeling lots of pressure the weekend before, but other than that there was no real sign that labor was coming. Guess dilation and Effacement is NOT a labor timer after all!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #15
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmansmom View Post
Well, I will go ahead with my experience since my precious baby girl is here now!

I was dilated to a 2 at 38 weeks, not effaced at all. Had been loosing my MP for about a week or so, although I didn't know it at the time, just suspected.
Woke up at 3 am on the morning of the 21st to go to the bathroom and lost the rest of the MP. Felt minor contractions and went to the bathroom again at 4 and found the show. Had that all day with minor contractions until things started picking up around 4 or 5 pm. Went in at 10:30 with contractions 3-5 min apart and was only dilated to 3 and 60% effaced. She was born at 8:42 am on the 22nd.
In hindsight I can say I had been feeling lots of pressure the weekend before, but other than that there was no real sign that labor was coming. Guess dilation and Effacement is NOT a labor timer after all!
Congratulations on your healthy baby girl!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
star72232
Registered Users
seller

With my last I was 2-3cm dilated and 25% effaced at 2pm. I had him just under 12 hours later. Everyone is different though - I have friends who were 4cm dilated for weeks.
star72232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always dilate and efface LONG before baby is born!
Those things mean nothing for me as to when I'll go into labor!

With my last I was almost 4cm for over a week and had been loosing my plug for 2 weeks before my water finally broke!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
The Green Avacado
Registered Users
Formerly:MindingOurOwnBeeswax
seller

My Mood:
I was effaced and dialating weeks before I went into labor. DH and I thought that I was going into labor at any time but that proved to be quite false!

WAHM behind The Green Avacado Custom Printed Shirts from Newborn - 5XL
Find My Custom Printed Shirts: DS Thread Or Etsy or Facebook
Save 10% on Etsy with coupon code: DSMAMA10
The Green Avacado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didn't dilate or start to efface before labor contractions started. I was closed and tight the day before I had my son. No sign of labor till my contractions started.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been dilated to 4 cm and 50% effaced since Christmas Eve. I also lost my mucus plug. No babies yet (thank goodness though in my case!!).