Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dodge Caravan & carseats

I just purchased a 2005 Caravan. 2 Captains seats and a bench seat. Each Captain's Seat has the LATCH hookups and a Tether Anchor hook up, the bench seat has 2 LATCH hookups (one at each side), there's 3 seatbelts, but only one Tether in the middle of the seat.
Question~I need to put 4 carseats in the van (sometimes a 5th), for my child and the daycare. Can I have Tether's Installed for the other two seatbelt positions in the Bench Seat?

Thanks

Advertisement

Single Mommy to Graciela (07-05-08) Born at 32 weeks
and my furrbabies Eeyore, Snicklefritz and Chance.Home Daycare Provider , . My princess is a cloth diaper Graduate! (4/11)Proudly Canadian, with American Blood, Nascar Fan!!!

ISO: Gymboree Girls 4T clothing
IHA: Cloth diapers, girls clothes 2-3T.
nicumama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

It is my understanding that you cannot have extra tethers added, but I could be wrong. Are any of the kids RFing?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Dodge Caravan & carseats

LATCH stands for lower anchors and tethers for children, so if there is the lower part of the LATCH, there is top anchors somewhere. Let me check my LATCH manual and get back to you.

ETA: Hmmmm...well my LATCH manual says if you have stow and go seats, you have one set of LATCH in the middle of the third row. If you don't have stow and go seats, you have a top anchor for the middle. It says nothing about having LATCH on the outboard positions of the third row in a 2005. Are you sure there is LATCH there?
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 12-20-2011 at 07:00 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The rear bench seat has a tether anchor hookup in the centre of the rear of the seat and in the seat (where the seatbelts comeout of), there are LATCH hookups at each outside seat, so you can hookup 2 LATCH seats. The are not stow and go seats. I currently have one child rearfacing in a Snugride 35, my DD is FF in Britax Frontier and the other child is currently FF in a Truefit. I will be getting another child come the newyear that will need to be in a seat as well.

and my furrbabies Eeyore, Snicklefritz and Chance.Home Daycare Provider , . My princess is a cloth diaper Graduate! (4/11)Proudly Canadian, with American Blood, Nascar Fan!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about the Caravan specifically, but I have had a tether added to a vehicle so I know it can be done. Perhaps call the dealership you purchased it from?
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The dealership said they can't do it. Called a Local Carseat Tech and she said, if I need more tethers then I should have them added, cause by law you must have them, she sugested I go to a local mechanic, not the dealership.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

The 2001 vans had LATCH on the outboard spots, maybe the seats are different in Canada. Regardless of all that, if there is the lower part of the LATCH there, there will also be top tethers. It's just a matter of figuring out where they are. I would think they would just be at the bottom of the seat back, which is where the LATCH manual says they are for all the seats that have either LATCH or just a top tether.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

In addition to all that, make sure all 5 carseats fit in your van. I couldn't ever get more than 4 in my Town & Country I would have needed skinnier seats to fit on the bench.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't retrofit LATCH lower anchors. You can have top tether anchors installed, but only pre-some year (that I can't remember right now). It's whenever they started requiring tether anchors to be installed in new vehicles.

For example: we had a 1998 Toyota Camry, it had tether anchors for all 3 back seat positions. We have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, it had no tether anchors at all but we have had 3 installed in it and could, if needed, have them installed for all 5 middle/back row positions.
But I know that getting newer than 2000 for the same van would mean we would not be able to have all 5 tethers - only 2 or 3 (can't remember) in certain positions.

It kinda makes me that a mini-van... which, really, is for a family, wouldn't come with anchors in all positions - who knows how many FF seats you'll need in at one time or where they would need to be!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
You can't retrofit LATCH lower anchors. You can have top tether anchors installed, but only pre-some year (that I can't remember right now). It's whenever they started requiring tether anchors to be installed in new vehicles.

For example: we had a 1998 Toyota Camry, it had tether anchors for all 3 back seat positions. We have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, it had no tether anchors at all but we have had 3 installed in it and could, if needed, have them installed for all 5 middle/back row positions.
But I know that getting newer than 2000 for the same van would mean we would not be able to have all 5 tethers - only 2 or 3 (can't remember) in certain positions.

It kinda makes me that a mini-van... which, really, is for a family, wouldn't come with anchors in all positions - who knows how many FF seats you'll need in at one time or where they would need to be
!
I've thought the exact same thing. My dad bought a brand new truck, and all three seats in the back have tether spots, yet a minivan does not.