Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Take him? Leave him?

Okay that probably sounds funny. Tomorrow my in laws are keeping my bigger boys so my mom and I can go shopping. I am expecting to take ds since he's still nursing but he CAN go 4 hours as he's done it before. I'm not sure how long we'll be gone so that's why I figured I would take him.

But it would be nice to have time with my mom without the baby. The last 2 weeks he's been getting a bottle before bed so if I did leave him he could get a bottle, but I just didn't bring my pump. I don't anticipate needing to leave him anymore during this trip so I'm not too worried about it affecting my supply. I can always nurse him like crazy the next few days. He's also been nursing a lot at night too.

What would you do? Take him shopping with you or leave him for maybe 6 hours?

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
luvinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Take him? Leave him?

I would let the in laws enjoy him for a few hours. I'm sure a break would be nice right? It will also give them some bonding time with your LO. Thats what I would do anyway, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm thinking we could be gone from say 10-4. He's been pretty attached to me and I haven't left him more than a couple of hours. I am more than ready for the break! My only concern is we will do our shopping about 30 minutes or more away so if he starts freaking out that I'm not there it may take some time to get back.

I know my mil would enjoy it. And my mom and I would enjoy it too. Now that he's crawling he is getting independent and loves exploring so he isn't needing to be right with me all the time.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Is he a very attached baby? And is your mom comfortable with crying? I have left DS with my mom for a couple of hours (he's just two months and still nurses often), but she had five kids of her own and she's very nurturing and comfortable with a fussy baby. So I knew if he were to scream and scream for me, she would rock him and hold him without stressing out. Or laying him down.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Personally, I'd take him. If he's pretty attached to you I'd rather take him, keep him happy and get your shopping done. Versus he's crying, wanting you, you have to leave before you're done shopping, etc. Or you try to rush the whole time or feel anxious about getting back before he gets too upset. Just me though.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

My LO would cry the entire time. He is very attached to Mama, but I'm attached to him, too so its mutual . I've never left him for more than an hour or two since he was born, and I wouldn't enjoy knowing he was unhappy, so for me, I'd just take LO along. Love my BOBA!

Do whatever you think will work best and you feel your LO can handle. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, just like with BF. What if you went shopping for 2-3 hours w/o LO, came home, got some lunch, fed LO, and went shopping again for another 1-2 hours, maybe with LO tagging along? I don't know about you, but I'm pooped after shopping for just a few hours. I don't like marathon shopping extravaganzas.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 12-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

How old is he? Also I guess it really depends on what you want. I wasn't comfortable leaving my daughter until she was a year and eating regular food. I wouldn't have enjoyed being away from her 6 hours worrying she was upset and I would have been upset too. My daughter never had a bottle either so that plays into it. If you need the break, take the break, but if it were me I would take my baby in a carrier and just be happy she was with me.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just did the same thing this past weekend. Brought my 7 month old along mostly because I didn't want to drag the pump around with us. Stuck her in the Boba and it was great!
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I actually took LO to Ikea over the weekend in the BOBA. He even nursed in the BOBA while I walked around with DH. I put the hood on over his head and no one was the wiser. He did awesome and loved all the people watching.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd take him. But I can't even imagine leaving my babies that long until they are at least a year. That's me though. If it were only 2-3 hours I might risk it.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote