Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
philenabean
Registered Users

I am getting my first cold sore, I think...

I started showing the signs of getting a cold sore yesterday. I am very worried. I have never had one before, so am assuming that I became infected while pregnant. I feel so stupid. I had taken a sip of my oldest sister's drink at Thanksgiving, then quickly remembered that she suffers from cold sores. She did not have an active cold sore at the time.

I am very worried about passing this to my daughters and possibly the new baby. Anyone have experience with this? Apparently HSV 1 can be fatal to a neonate. I will see my doc on Friday. I plan to bring up the issue then, and to have him verify that it is/is not a cold sore. I am 11 weeks 2 days, and I've read that it's more dangerous if infected for the first time in the last trimester. I hope that's really true...

Advertisement

philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Get abreva...works!

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I am getting my first cold sore, I think...

I agree with the pp! get it NOW and use it every time you think about it! Like, literally, don't let it get dry at all, just keep that on it. It's easier if you catch it now, rather than wait til it's full blown. Good luck, mama!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:
Ouch, hope it heals rapidly for you. Sending prayers of wellness for you and your bump, and family.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
philenabean
Registered Users

Thanks, mamas! It's still very small so far! The doc only ok'd campho phenique. Abreva is a Cat B drug, but he doesn't recommend it for some reason.

Unfortunately, I decided to spend last night googling cold sores and neonatal herpes, and had a panic attack based on what I read. I just need to keep thinking happy thoughts, and stop fretting about worst possible scenarios!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go read the entry on herpes simplex on Wikipedia. It's a very good overview with good statistics and percentages. If your sister didn't have a cold sore at the time then it is very unlikely she was shedding the virus and infected you. Chances are you have been infected for years, often from childhood. Even though not everyone is infected with HSV-1, it is almost a universal infection. You can have it and never have symptoms, or only have 1-2 lifetime outbreaks, or have outbreaks a couple times a year. It just depends on how good your immune system is.

You're correct that it is the most dangerous if you get the initial infection in the third trimester, specifically shortly before delivery because your body wouldn't have developed antibodies to it yet.

Bottom line? I wouldn't worry about it.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
philenabean
Registered Users

Thanks, pharmmama! That makes me feel a lot better!

Last edited by philenabean; 12-21-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to say, my mom gets them. Who knows how many times I've drank after her (with or without permission or thinking about it, as a kid) and I've never ever had one, but she's very careful if/when she gets them.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interesting...I never knew it was such a big deal. My hubby gets cold sores occasionally, my ODD gets them about every time she gets a cold, my middle daughter gets them every once in a while, I have had maybe 2 ever, and I assume it is just a matter of time until the youngest one gets it, too! I can tell you that my middle daughter first got the virus when she was about 18 months old and it was AWFUL. Her whole mouth was full of sores and her gums were all swollen and she was just in pain...so I'm definitely diligent about trying to keep the youngest uninfected, but realistically I'm sure it will happen eventually!

ETA: We use campho-phenique every time and it seems to really help especially if you start putting it on when you know a cold sore is just starting. With the kiddos we usually to some campho-phenique followed by a little ambasol gel so that it bothers them less, which equal less touching/spreading. We haven't done the abreva partly because it is stinkin expensive and the campho-phenique seems to work for us!

Last edited by srpettitt; 12-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
srpettitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I get them all the time (mostly when we have family pics or I have to meet important ppl from DH work lol) but none of my kids or my husband had ever had them and they drink my drinks and my husband even kisses me.