Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Recommendations? and other Potty Learning suggestions

DD just turned one and we're going to start getting her used to the idea of using the potty. Which potty would you recommend? Also, I'm totally new to this idea of 'Potty Learning' as opposed to 'Potty Training', so any other suggestions are welcome.

Advertisement

rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We got the Fisher Price 'Royal' Potty. Pretty basic. I put it in the bathroom and let DD come in with me. At first she just played with it, then she sat with her clothes on whenever mommy went, then wanted to pull her pants down. She will use the potty completely independently if naked. That's as far as we've gotten. At 1, I'd be surprised if your DD started showing readiness signs before another year, but you can start laying the foundation now by teaching her and letting her observe what happens in the bathroom
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Potty Recommendations? and other Potty Learning suggestions

IMO, the best little potty is the BBLP (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) It is one piece, so super easy to clean and small enough for little ones to use.

The book Diaper Free Before 3 is a great book. It will tell you how to introduce your little one to the potty, what times to put your little one on the potty so as to have the best chance of having them actually go, and what to expect at each stage. It is a great book for starting out at a year!

I also recommend checking out the ECing section here or another ECing group. They will have lots of advice on how to introduce the potty at what is now days considered "early".

Then the last suggestion is getting the children's story book "Once Upon a Potty" It is written for young kids (1+), not the way typical kids' potty training stories are written for older kids (2-4). I especially love this book because it shows the child in cloth diapers! Oh, and there is a girl version and a boy version. But my DS loves the book even though we have the girl version from when his sister was little! It is a fun way to introduce the idea of using the potty instead of diapers!

Go for it! My DD I started at 10-11 months and she was in undies full time (during the day) by 18 months! My DS we started at birth (ec'ed him) and he took a little longer, as he was more stubborn, but still was "trained" by around 2.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ the pp about the BBLP. I have PL many children (my own and others) and far prefer a small all one piece potty. The best tip I can ever give is to make sure your LO can place both feet firmly on the floor while sitting on their potty. Learning to void in a potty while dangling is not natural feeling and will make it more difficult. Just imagine trying to have a bm while feeling like you might tip in to a pool of cold water at any moment.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome, so far. I actually had my eye on the BBLP, so I think I'm gonna go out and get that tonight. Thank you also for the book recommendations, I'll look into getting those, too.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've tried other potties but just stick with Baby Bjorn & their product line.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any autocorrect craziness ;(
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love the Frog potty at Target. It is the only one DFS doesn't pee over the front of that is cheap. They are about $13.

Sent from my iPhone--it's smarter than I am
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

The Baby Bjorn potty chair is THE best potty ever!! It's the easiest to use, clean, etc. We used 4 diff ones and it was/is by far the best.