Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Question Corn Syrup in Formula

my sister is watching a 6month old (15lbs) and the parents add Corn Syrup to his formula (the dad said 6 oz of water, 3 scoops of formula mix, and just a splash of corn syrup)....he was in NICU for a month for digestive problems so we were thinking thats the reason for the syrup. but yesterday my sis said he only had 5oz of formula in the 9hrs she had, grandma says that normal for him.

The baby does spit up a lot and is on enfamil A.R. Lipil formula.

Yesterday mom basically dropped him off and left with NO instructions and dad later wasnt much help.

anyone have ANY clue why the parents are using corn syrup???? its the light color one not the dark.

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Corn Syrup in Formula

No idea! That sounds insane. My dd was 3 months early and had horrible reflux. ...she never drank more than 4 oz every 3 hours of EBM. Some babies don't eat a lot but that sounds kind of scary that he is eating that little. Corn syrup doesn't sound healthy at all either.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

my thinking was that since the grandmother was orginally watching him that this was something she told the parents to do for the spitting up....i cant see any doctor prescribing it to add weight on when threre are special formulas for that.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's b/c of his digestive issues - it helps him have BM's....however, we gave DS 1oz of juice with 1 oz of water once a day, and it worked better and he didn't have to have all that corn syrup. A lot of doctors around here suggest the corn syrup though.
jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
mama23boys
Banned
seller

the dark or light kind??
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The corn syrup is the old wives' remedy for constipation. I don't think it matters whether it's the light or dark.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DS (now 5) had constipation at 10 weeks old I was told by his pedi to put 1tsp. of Karo syrup in his formula, than to gradullly ween him off the Karo by putting it in every other bottle than every 3 and so on unitl he was off it. It worked great for him at the time and later we switched to prune juice(like 1 oz. a day) I would just like to know that these parents are doing this under a doc's orders and doing it the right way...he sounds like he needs more formula than that to me.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Yeah when Mikey was little we used corn syrup too directed by several doctors because he was having severe constipation problems and they advised us that juice that early wasnt very good for him. BUt by adding Corn Syrup it draws liquids to the bowels because its so think and sryupy and eases constipation. They use the light one on purpose becasue the dark easily gets mistaken for blood or other issues when it comes out through the bowels, so the light colored corn sryup doesnt add color to the BMs leading to a misdiagnoses. But its an very old rememdy for constipation its not new and its not anything to be concerned about.

You can use the dark we did in a pinch but either or it really doesnt matter, but for us it really never worked that well. It wasnt until Mikey turned old enough and we gave him a little jar of prunes that he was really finally relieved of so much constipation and before that we tried everything corn syrup, suppositories and nothing seemed to work until prunes came on the scene.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amielia80 View Post
When DS (now 5) had constipation at 10 weeks old I was told by his pedi to put 1tsp. of Karo syrup in his formula, than to gradullly ween him off the Karo by putting it in every other bottle than every 3 and so on unitl he was off it. It worked great for him at the time and later we switched to prune juice(like 1 oz. a day) I would just like to know that these parents are doing this under a doc's orders and doing it the right way...he sounds like he needs more formula than that to me.
he does sound like he needs more formula but all your posts are very reassuring we have NO clue if they are doing this under a doc's supervision...i am assuming that yes they are bc he was in NICU for digestive issues.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

prunes were what always worked for us too!!! Now Ds refuses to eat them!!!