Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
danut
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Corn Syrup in Formula

The corn syrup is used for constipation issues. Enfamil AR can be very constipating because of the added rice starch. I would however be very concerned that this baby's reflux is not under control since he is not eating. Three out of my 4 kids were horrible refluxers. It took a lot to get their reflux under control and Mmy 18 month old is still on meds. If you have any questions,please pm me, since I am not around much.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

15lbs at 6 months is fine. So he must be eating more at home. Holding him upright will ease the reflux and he might eat more then. My Dr is reccomending corn syrup for my 6 week old (EBF) because of her hard/infrequent stools.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I remember right, I think my MIL said that her mother put corn syrup in cow's milk for all of her kids (11 of them!!) from the time they came home from the hospital!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
mama23boys
Banned
seller

he was dropped off this morning by mom and STILL no word about the corn sryup and later dad was no real help, expect for "we add a splash to the formula""

so it sounds like using corn syrup is pretty normal then....she is looking into getting a sling/MT to use when he is with her (my "weird" ways have FINALLY influenced someone LOL) so she can do household stuff and hold him.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
bean3
Registered Users
seller

It was suggested for my formula-fed son as well. Very old doc suggested this (not a pediatrician), so maybe the thinking has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnichols1 View Post
It's b/c of his digestive issues - it helps him have BM's....however, we gave DS 1oz of juice with 1 oz of water once a day, and it worked better and he didn't have to have all that corn syrup. A lot of doctors around here suggest the corn syrup though.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
It was suggested for my formula-fed son as well. Very old doc suggested this (not a pediatrician), so maybe the thinking has changed.
thats why i was thinking the grandma suggested it.....
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
mathlady
Registered Users

I agree about the corn syrup -- for constipation, and a little shouldn't hurt, although might not be the latest recommendation.

As for how little he's taking -- my DS always did this (with expressed breastmilk) at the sitters, the 2 days a week he went at that age -- he'd nurse before he went, and then she'd try giving him bottle several times, but he just wasn't interested -- and then he'd go crazy when we got home. It wasn't just bottle vs. boob, either, 'cause he'd definitely eat more when DH fed him from a bottle than he did from the sitter -- I think it's just "I prefer my parents to feed me, thank you very much!"

So he may be getting plenty the rest of the time. And if he eats right before/after you have him, then it's like 1 4 hour break, then eat 5 oz, then 1 5 hour break -- which isn't all that unreasonable.

just my

sharon
mathlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
shell015
Banned
seller

We used it to prevent constipation and upset stomach.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Um isn't this dangerous? I was under the impression that infants under a year shouldn't have honey or corn syrup b/c their digestive tract wasn't mature enough for it due to botchulism.

Am I totally off base? I have 2 books here that double checked to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong & I know my CNP told me this as well - something to do w/the spores I think? One of the books is a totally natural/organic one as well so it's not just a typical Ped book either.

Honey, corn syrup, and other sweeteners are potentially dangerous for infants. This is partly because the digestive juices of an infant are less acidic than older children and adults, and may be less likely to destroy ingested spores. In addition, young infants do not yet have sufficient numbers of resident microbiota in their intestines to competitively exclude C. botulinum. Unopposed in the small intestine, the warm body temperature combined with an anaerobic environment creates a medium for botulinum spores to germinate, divide and produce toxin. Thus, C. botulinum is able to colonize the gut of an infant with relative ease, whereas older children and adults are not typically susceptible to ingested spores. C. botulinum spores are widely present in the environment, including honey. For this reason, it is advised that neither honey, nor any other sweetener, should be given to children until they are weaned. Nevertheless, the majority of infants with botulism have no history of ingestion of honey, and the exact source of the offending spores is unclear about 85% of the time. Spores present in the soil are a leading candidate for most cases, and often a history of construction near the home of an affected infant may be obtained.

taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

ETA: The above web page mentions infants under 12 mos of age.

Last edited by CMamma; 04-18-2007 at 05:51 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
15lbs at 6 months is fine. So he must be eating more at home. Holding him upright will ease the reflux and he might eat more then. My Dr is reccomending corn syrup for my 6 week old (EBF) because of her hard/infrequent stools.
My 6 month old is almost 17 pounds, so I did not think that 15ish was to small either.. IMO.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote