Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 Day Potty Training...Should we keep going?

All my kids potty train early. My last DD was completely potty trained at 18.5 months. She showed signs of readiness. Your daughter IS showing signs of readiness. Patting her diaper after she has gone or is going potty is a readiness sign. A sign she understands that her body is doing something and she is AWARE of it. Parents I think really PT too late. I think they don't connect readiness signs. Espec reading the commments already been said.

With that said, It will take several weeks. My last daughter wa completely PT even night trained in 2 weeks. Actaully all my kids it only took 2 weeks and never had a kid that peed the bed at night either! Now every child is different so it might take a month. For the holiday's and leaving the house and visiting family I would put her in a diaper but I would keep a careful watch for her signs tho. You still want to continue with what your doing. You want to progress not regress after the few days of craziness. Ask her frequently if she has to pee and mybe even sit her on the potty when you go.

I think your doing an awesome job momma! I really can't imagine to keep diapers on a child that knows she's going potty. That is ludicous to me!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls
All my kids potty train early. My last DD was completely potty trained at 18.5 months. She showed signs of readiness. Your daughter IS showing signs of readiness. Patting her diaper after she has gone or is going potty is a readiness sign. A sign she understands that her body is doing something and she is AWARE of it. Parents I think really PT too late. I think they don't connect readiness signs. Espec reading the commments already been said.

With that said, It will take several weeks. My last daughter wa completely PT even night trained in 2 weeks. Actaully all my kids it only took 2 weeks and never had a kid that peed the bed at night either! Now every child is different so it might take a month. For the holiday's and leaving the house and visiting family I would put her in a diaper but I would keep a careful watch for her signs tho. You still want to continue with what your doing. You want to progress not regress after the few days of craziness. Ask her frequently if she has to pee and mybe even sit her on the potty when you go.

I think your doing an awesome job momma! I really can't imagine to keep diapers on a child that knows she's going potty. That is ludicous to me!
Being AWARE of going potty and being able to CONTROL and ANTICIPATE it are not the same thing. Showing A readiness sign does not always mean they are ready. That's great you were able to do it so early! Would NOT have worked for my DD, she didn't even notice when she was wet/dirty til after age 2!

I wouldn't stress OP. There is no right answer, do what works for you!

Last edited by mibarra; 12-21-2011 at 09:48 PM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

I think 18 months is a little young. I waited until my dd told me that she didn't want to wear diapers anymore, and now I only put diapers on her at naptime and bedtime.

Our pediatrician told us that if we tried to PL before 24 months there was a much higher likelihood of regression later. We waited until 26 months and the first few days were rough. I literally had to keep dd within arm's reach the whole time. It got better by day 3. A few weeks later, she has one accident every few days but still isn't very good about telling us when she has to go. However, if we give her scheduled potty breaks she does fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried doing my son because he had all the readiness signs and only wanted undies etc. Only by day 3 I was so sick of the messes and he regressed after telling us when he needed to go. So we put him back in diapers. A lot of kids that learn that early usually regress or want to control so they start having accidents again or refusing to poop etc.

When a child is ready to learn they learn fast. My son has since refused to sit on the potty (we only suggest it casually once in a great while and he has only asked once when he didn't want to go to bed) and insists on diapers. So that's how it is, he's incredibly stubborn and I'm not turning potty training into a control issue. Hopefully he will be more ready when he's 3 or 3.5, which is a common age for potty training.

But if there are no issues and your DD likes it and isn't having control issues or refusing etc then go with it. But I'd wait.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried doing my son because he had all the readiness signs and only wanted undies etc. Only by day 3 I was so sick of the messes and he regressed after telling us when he needed to go. So we put him back in diapers. A lot of kids that learn that early usually regress or want to control so they start having accidents again or refusing to poop etc.

When a child is ready to learn they learn fast. My son has since refused to sit on the potty (we only suggest it casually once in a great while and he has only asked once when he didn't want to go to bed) and insists on diapers. So that's how it is, he's incredibly stubborn and I'm not turning potty training into a control issue. Hopefully he will be more ready when he's 3 or 3.5, which is a common age for potty training.

But if there are no issues and your DD likes it and isn't having control issues or refusing etc then go with it. But I'd wait.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

thanks for all of your responses. I think we will give it today... Maybe vn tomorrow and see how she does. The 3 day meathod (by Julie Fuller, I think) requires that she only wear loose fitting pants..no diaper, trainer, or underwear while we are out. So if it has clicked by then I will have to decide what to do about her Christmas dress and tights. Lol
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think housefullofgirls is probably right that you could potty train her now. But it's totally up to you whether it's "necessary" or not. I understand the sentiment that it's more respectful of the child to help them learn once they know they're going in their diaper, so they're not soiling themselves. But it can also be respectful to relax and wait until they have some interest themselves in using the potty. I really don't think either way is harmful to the child and I think we probably put too much emphasis on potty training altogether- it's not harmful to PT early; it's not harmful to wait. I think you should do what works for you; if you're more stressed by your child still being in diapers than by a couple weeks of intensive training, go with the training. If you're more stressed by the training, go with diapers. I really don't think it will matter much in the long run.

Last edited by jessnye; 12-22-2011 at 07:40 AM.
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
mcrisp78
Registered Users
seller

IMHO 18 months is too young. I would wait a few months.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

All of mine have been pooped trained at 18-19 months, my son took longer to pee train, but my daughter was doing both right away. I think there is a fine line between when they realize what is happening to their bodies and what is going on, to thinking it is "normal" to go in their pants. When parents wait for a long time to train or learn with their child, the child then thinks it is normal to go in their pants and the toilet is what is abnormal. If you can catch them at the time that they are learning or realizing what is happening, and they learn that the pee or poo goes in the toilet it becaomes an easier concept for them to grasp. This is a time were children are learning and mastering everthing. Do not sell her short, it has only been a couple of days, she will get it. The only thing needed is for you to be consistant.

I find it MUCH MUCH harder to train an older child. The control issues are more and they HATE the toilet, at a younger age they are more open to new concepts as everything is "new" to them. I have helped train many a child with having a home daycare...so those are my experiences. Keep up the good work mama!!
disneylindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Ladyflower
Registered Users

I agree with the other posters that said don't rush it. Potty training can be stressful even when the child is ready. Like another poster said, even if a child is showing signs of readiness, it doesn't mean they are completely ready or have the bladder control. My ds #1 showed signs of potty training readiness, but after trying I realized he wasn't completely ready and it was just stressing him and me out. I didn't want to make it stressful, or force it on him and make it a negative experience. I waited until he showed more signs of readiness and he was quite literally day time potty trained in 1 day.

I'm not sure how PT'ing with ds #2 will go, but I'm going to take the same approach of not forcing it on him and waiting until he's completely ready. I'm hoping he'll see big brother using the potty and that'll take to it easily. But, you just never know.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote