Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
If you had PreE before... question

If you had this before and you were aware of your blood pressure changes, did they go up gradually, or do they go up all at once? I had HELLP with my last pregnancy and really wasn't paying much attention to blood pressure since I don't usually have any issue with it, but I have been monitoring this pregnancy, so was just wondering.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: If you had PreE before... question

I got pre-e with my first pregnancy, it was strange as it happened really fast while I was at the hospital about to deliver. I do know my bp shot way up while ds hb dropped down very fast. I have not gotten it again so no further experience.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have had full blown ecclampsia and PE. Both times I was pretty asymptomatic (no symptoms) except for some high protein counts in my urine. I personally knew when my Bo was high because I would get a headache but it would usually go down when I rested. The first time I had no idea at all and just went into seizures at 32 weeks. Since I had that history my dr was very cautious the second time around and started doing weekly 24 hour urine tests. At 35 weeks 4 days I was in for my routine fetal monitoring and everything was fine. In the time it took me to walk down stairs to my drs office my bp spiked and I was held for observation. It never went down, I had positive clonius (sp) and was put ob magnesium right away. They then induced me and my DS was born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Learn how your body functions. It wouldn't hurt to get a bp cuff to keep at your home. A headache, blurred vision or dizziness are all signs that your bp is rising. I hope everything works out beautifully for you!!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you haven't been diagnosed but you are worried ask for a 24 hr urinalysis. They give you a jug to pee in at home and you drop it off the next day. They check your protein counts. If they are high then they will just watch you a little closer. If not then no worries!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had I PreE with my Dd. My bp was 112/72 at my ob appt 33w5d. I felt off and fluish the next week and took my bp. It was 150/100 at 34w3d. I had also gained 13 lbs in those 5 days. For me PreE onset was very sudden!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies for sharing. My BP is still in the normal range, but the top numbers are starting to be in the 130's occasionally and up until the beginning of Dec, there was nothing higher than 120's, so wondering if it is trending up just because that is typical or because I am headed for HELLP or PreE again.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I will be monitoring my BP during this PG.

I was diagnosed with pre-E at 38 weeks with my last PG. I hadn't noticed but my 4 previous visits had high BP readings (at or above 140/90). I took a urine test on that 5th visit and the protein was 500-ish. They immediately started talking induction. I did a 24 hr urine and it was 300 and my BP had dropped below 140.

That was Friday. I asked for another 24 hr urine on Monday. If the protein was still high and my BP was still high I would agree to an induction. On Monday, my stats were closer to normal, but DD came on Tuesday so the point was moot and my BP went back to normal PP.

When I look back, I was dizzy a lot and queasy in my 3rd trimester and I remember thinking how odd it was to feel like it was my 1st trimester, but I never reported that to my CNM because dizzy and queasy are hardly unusual symptoms. But on the flip side, the CNM never really mentioned my high BP readings so we never made the connection.

This time I do own a BP cuff and I know how to take my BP (I am a LNA) and I will ask for regular protein tests. I have no desire to find out at the last minute that something is going wrong.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post

I was diagnosed with pre-E at 38 weeks with my last PG. I hadn't noticed but my 4 previous visits had high BP readings (at or above 140/90). I took a urine test on that 5th visit and the protein was 500-ish. They immediately started talking induction. I did a 24 hr urine and it was 300 and my BP had dropped below 140.

That was Friday. I asked for another 24 hr urine on Monday. If the protein was still high and my BP was still high I would agree to an induction. On Monday, my stats were closer to normal, but DD came on Tuesday so the point was moot and my BP went back to normal PP.

When I look back, I was dizzy a lot and queasy in my 3rd trimester and I remember thinking how odd it was to feel like it was my 1st trimester, but I never reported that to my CNM because dizzy and queasy are hardly unusual symptoms. But on the flip side, the CNM never really mentioned my high BP readings so we never made the connection.

This time I do own a BP cuff and I know how to take my BP (I am a LNA) and I will ask for regular protein tests. I have no desire to find out at the last minute that something is going wrong.
It is hard to figure out what all to report.... there is so much that is kind of normal that doesn't feel too great in pregnancy. Hope your pregnancy avoids the pre e this time!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama

Hopefully you will be able to detect it if it shows. Unfortunately sometimes it happens in a matter of hours with no warning. There are some great resources out there but with no known cause it's hard to pinpoint. Headaches that don't go away with Tylenol, dizziness, swelling and nausea are all signs. My bp is always really low and even when I spiked it was the "high end" of normal so if my dr and I didn't know my body so well we wouldn't have caught it. I too will be monitoring my self. It's a great idea. Most s/s don't happen until around 20 weeks so it might be nice to get a baseline urine protein done before then, just to be safe. hope everyone has a very HH9M!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I developed severe preeclampsia with my first child. BP was slightly elevated - 140/88 - and showed only a trace protein at my prenatal. They sent me home with a 24hr urine. 10pm that evening I knew something was just not right - headache and just so exhausted I couldn't get off the couch. Went to L&D - protein +5 with a dipstick and BP 225/150. I was admitted, put on mag sulfate and induced the next morning. I had a section for SPD/FTP that night. My body just was not ready to labor + the mag sulfate counteracted the induction meds.

My second pregnancy I had PIH and was on BP meds and bedrest from 17-37 weeks to control my pressure. My pressure began creeping up and protein began to show - so to give me the best chance at a VBAC before my pressures got horrible, we induced at 39+5. 9 hour induction from start to finish and my little guy was born VBAC.

Two very different experiences. Just goes to show that pree/e/HELLP syndrome can develop so suddenly as it did with my first, or be very gradual as it did with my second. Best advice is to just keep an eye on all BP readings and any symptoms indicative of issues.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote