Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help me understand blw

So i don't understand blw... Just by do you worry about eggs or dairy or anything else being too much for baby to digest. Im already in the mind frame that i let Dd try everything im eating and she would much rather hold her own food and taste/play with it on her own then be spoon fed... So are there any "rules" things i should be aware of when it comes to just letting her have what we are having... Or anything that is particularly important when it comes to choking?

Lol sorry im rambling... Help me understand it better...

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
The only rule I really followed was 'no honey before 1yo'. That's an important one.

Otherwise, unless you have a family history of allergies, there's not a real reason to worry.

Reduce the salt intake is another good rule. You obviously don't want too much salt for baby. Oh and I guess I didn't give her runny eggs. But I don't eat runny eggs anyways. She did get scrambled from a pretty young age.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh and there's a big difference between gagging and choking. Your child has to learn about their gag reflex. It can be scary at first, but just watch them, be prepared to assist as needed, etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me understand blw

Unless there is a history of allergies, or you have any other reason to suspect LO will have problems... no honey til 1. My otherwise very conservative, old-school pedi said all that nonsense about no eggs til 8 mos, no peanut butter til 3, no seafood etc didn't reduce the amount of allergies, it just meant kids weren't getting diagnosed until later!
Just try to aim for things that LO can manipulate in some way... ie DD used to like big sticks to gnaw on, but now that she can pick, pick pick she prefers little bits. Also keep in mind they don't have a ton of teeth yet (probably!) to grind stuff up - so a big chunk of apple or hard cheese will be difficult to deal with.
Nothing that's an obvious choking hazard - the typical suspects are whole hot dogs (even cut into wheel shapes they are bad), whole grapes, whole nuts, and popcorn.
and no matter what you give them, you will find some un-digested bits in the diaper Their systems just aren't used to having to digest solids yet... it's not a concern as long as it's tiny bits.
If they can breathe/cough they are ok (that's gagging, not choking).
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote