Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
katymf
Registered Users
seller

7mo too young?

We put our DS on "solids" around 3 and 1/2 mo feeding him puréed fruits and veggies. He did fine with them..we started giving him things like puffs and mum mums around 6mo but he always gags on his puffs and sometime gags so much he throws up his formula he had eaten during the day. That happens rarely though maybe 2 or 4 time while gaging on his puffs. We also noticed that around 3mo he would sometimes gag on his bottle it even on his puréed food more recently then when we started him on that. He gags at least once a day weather it be when he's eating his puréed foods, puffs or formula. I know one time we feed him purred dinner with eggs in it and he just threw everything all up. I felt so bad! Definitly staying away from anything with egg in them. Anyone else's LO gag often??

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
katymf
Registered Users
seller

Sorry for the horrible type-O's! Stupid phone!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Jomoma
Registered Users
seller

Re: 7mo too young?

No, but my found out my DS was allergic to eggs when he was 10 months old. Started with the gagging while eating and was quickly followed by bright red hives all over his body. Isn't 6 months the recommended age to start pureed fruits and veggies? I've also heard that they aren't ready for puffs/cheerios until they can pick them up themselves. Don't know if any of this helps.
Jomoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
loving my family
Registered Users
seller

I think the mayo clinic recommends that you wait to feed babies eggs until the age of 2 yrs, & that most kids grow out of there egg allergies by age 5. ( as long as you don't keep trying to feed it them.) Cause vomiting shortly after feeding a child eggs is sometimes a sign of food allergy - sensitivity. I hope this helps good luck
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of my twins has a hypersensitive gag reflex. She used to sometimes gag on the nipple of her bottle when she was younger and then throw up because of it. We started feeding them baby food at 4 months and she did great with it. Then they both got double ear infections and went on antibiotics. Ever since then, her gag reflex has been much worse. My girls are about 9 months old now and Emma (the one with the hypersensitive gag reflex) ends up throwing up at least three times a week if not more due to gagging. It can be gagging on a small piece of something she found on the floor that I missed, a puff, or the bottle nipple, but most of the time when she gags, she throws up.

Her pediatrician thinks that she might be gagging on reflux, so we tried zantac. It seemed to help a little for a month, but then it got worse again. I haven't given her any zantac for a couple days and there doesn't seem to be a difference. I'm going to bring it up with the pedi again at their 9 month appointment, but it worries me. So, far, I take extra steps to get calories in her so that she's still gaining weight even with throwing up, but I hate that she's throwing up so often due to gagging. I'm wondering if she'll need on OT or ST to help her overcome the oral hypersensitivity she has. Even switching textures a little bit can cause her to gag. So, going from baby cereal to applesauce will cause her to gag so if I'm switching, I have to give her a tiny bite so she can get used to the new texture before giving a full bite of food. Other than puffs, I haven't tried any finger/table foods with her due to her gagging.

Her sister, Ellie, has no issues at all with gagging and is eating table food and very thick or chunky purees with no problem. If she gags, that's it, just gags and goes on eating her food.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Bmomma2C
Registered Users

My Mood:

It looks like you've started each stage a bit ahead of the curve. He could be having reflux and/or reactions or he may just not be ready for so much. Food under one is for fun. He has the rest of his life to eat!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Honeybear427
Registered Users
seller

We feed our 8 month old mostly what we eat with out all the salts and seasonings. She likes people food better and I feel better cooking it for her.
Honeybear427 is offline   Reply With Quote