Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone explain yarn prices to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBee View Post
What is mosaic moon then? Yarn confuses me.

Or are they the brand/dyer that uses a different company for their base? Like mosaic moon on a Cestari base?

Colour me confused. ROFL

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Mosic Moon is the dyer.

Mosaic Moon on a Cestari Base...means that Mosaic Moon (the dyer) did the colorway (dyed) on the base Cestari.

There are many different dyers and several bases. You end up getting the hang of it

Advertisement

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thumbs up. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for that info! I'm still a bit confused, but I guess it's something that you pick up after shopping for a while..
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm looking at purewool coop prices, $5ish for a skein seems right up my ally, there are even some colorways that I like! Nothing as fun as sheepytime or DH, my faves, but they are cute. And I may actually knit them instead of just staring at them and drooling.
I would love to get some acid dyes too. I've gave koolaid a go. And I have tons of wilton dyes, so I think I will go nuts with them next. The purewool undyed is about $4 a skein
Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
Simply Sanity Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBee
What is mosaic moon then? Yarn confuses me.

Or are they the brand/dyer that uses a different company for their base? Like mosaic moon on a Cestari base?

Colour me confused. ROFL

Exactly.... Mosaic moon is the dyer, she uses many different bases, and I'm the odd one out here who hates cestari because I don't like the way out feels to me, but love montana targhee and bfl aran...

If you want to give dying a shot, I would start with undyed patons, which is about $5 for a 3.5 oz skien and available locally, rather than waiting for a co-op and some packets of kool-aid or jars of wilkins icing dye and some foam brushes.... Google hand painting yarn tutorial and give from there.... Wiltons I like for certain colors I can't get with kool-aid, like red, black, and brown

Sanity, who is currently laying in bed incubating a Tiny Human, and using her Droid2 to browse DS

Last edited by Simply Sanity Creations; 12-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Simply Sanity Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Purewool is a great inexpensive base for newbies/non mobile babies. It felts easily and gets very very pilly if worn by a mover. A lot of the bases that are more expensive are desirable because they hold up to rougher kids, and retain value because if taken care of they can really be passed on to other children/resold. Stuff like Paton's works just fine, although you'll want to invest in a sweater shaver, but will probably be pretty shot by the time one child has gotten use out of it.

A mid-range option is Cascade, some local yarn stores carry it, it takes dye nicely, and is a bit sturdier than Paton's for not much more $. (Paton's has the benefit of being available at Joann's and Michael's and coupons being available, but my LYS has Cascade for $6). Some dyers offer Cascade as an option - Napping House and Wacky Alpacky I believe both do, and that can be a more affordable option.

If you're looking into dyeing, there are some great options available through Knitpicks, they have affordable prices on acid dyes, lots of blank/bare yarns that are affordable enough to be good for practice, and their WOTA bulky actually holds up well to toddlers/active babies.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach View Post
Purewool is a great inexpensive base for newbies/non mobile babies. It felts easily and gets very very pilly if worn by a mover. A lot of the bases that are more expensive are desirable because they hold up to rougher kids, and retain value because if taken care of they can really be passed on to other children/resold. Stuff like Paton's works just fine, although you'll want to invest in a sweater shaver, but will probably be pretty shot by the time one child has gotten use out of it.

A mid-range option is Cascade, some local yarn stores carry it, it takes dye nicely, and is a bit sturdier than Paton's for not much more $. (Paton's has the benefit of being available at Joann's and Michael's and coupons being available, but my LYS has Cascade for $6). Some dyers offer Cascade as an option - Napping House and Wacky Alpacky I believe both do, and that can be a more affordable option.

If you're looking into dyeing, there are some great options available through Knitpicks, they have affordable prices on acid dyes, lots of blank/bare yarns that are affordable enough to be good for practice, and their WOTA bulky actually holds up well to toddlers/active babies.
Thanks for the tips! I looked up how to dye yarn, and I definitely think that I could do it, but I probably need to limit myself to working on my knitting right now! I still need lots more needle sizes and I have limited funds, so I should probably stick with knitting wool that is already dyed for right now..

So Aran is a base yarn that I could look for? I love Malabrigo yarn- it's so soft! Is that one that will pill easily?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i too hate cestari... i LOVE mmw, bbr, willow mireno. i love the feel of gaia but it pills and felts too easily for my now mobile infant.. it did take a lot of learning, buying (much of it not paying close enough attention or just to "see" it) reading, searching and even just hoping what others like i will as well. Some of it has worked out wonderfully, other has not lol...
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So does anyone have a link to maybe a list of bases that are soft but don't pill much? My problem is that I'm not making woolies, I'm making scarves, hats, shawls, sweaters (as soon as I get brave enough) etc...I bought a bunch of the Patons bulky for a shawl for myself because it was super soft and pretty but now I'm worried about it getting all pilly...
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow's_lilmama View Post
So does anyone have a link to maybe a list of bases that are soft but don't pill much? My problem is that I'm not making woolies, I'm making scarves, hats, shawls, sweaters (as soon as I get brave enough) etc...I bought a bunch of the Patons bulky for a shawl for myself because it was super soft and pretty but now I'm worried about it getting all pilly...
This thread might be helpful.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=types+of+wool
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote