Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone explain yarn prices to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I looked up how to dye yarn, and I definitely think that I could do it, but I probably need to limit myself to working on my knitting right now! I still need lots more needle sizes and I have limited funds, so I should probably stick with knitting wool that is already dyed for right now..

So Aran is a base yarn that I could look for? I love Malabrigo yarn- it's so soft! Is that one that will pill easily?
Hi Sara! Aran is a weight, a little heavier than worsted. It's a good weight for a newer knitter because it works up fast. I love aran BFL. It's my all time favorite because it works up fast, and it's super soft. It does pill a little more than some of the more durable yarns like MMW. I like it for infants and toddlers, but you would get pilling at the knees with a crawler.

Malabrigio is a merino wool so it's going to pill a bit. I would use it for younger babies and scarves...maybe not for a toddler or crawler.

As to your original question... you pay for the amount of yarn, the particular base, and the time of the dyer. The more popular the dyer, the more they can charge. I'm new to the HC scene so I can't charge as much as the in-demand dyers. I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it so much because it's a lot of work.
It's easy to throw some kool aid or wiltons together and make some beautiful colorways. It just gets complicated if you want to be able to duplicate your results. You should definitely try it if you're inclined and you want to save some money, but beware...it's addictive!! Fishermans and Patons are cheap at the craft store or you can get a higher quality yarn from knitpicks. I'll be happy to give you some tips if you want.

Advertisement

ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa View Post
It's easy to throw some kool aid or wiltons together and make some beautiful colorways. It just gets complicated if you want to be able to duplicate your results. You should definitely try it if you're inclined and you want to save some money, but beware...it's addictive!! Fishermans and Patons are cheap at the craft store or you can get a higher quality yarn from knitpicks. I'll be happy to give you some tips if you want.
easy and soooo mych fun. you really should try it.

I used fishermans birch tweed and am not impressed. I feel like it should be sturdy for my almost 3yo, but I'm not loving the feel as I knit. It's like it's made of birch.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket

easy and soooo mych fun. you really should try it.

I used fishermans birch tweed and am not impressed. I feel like it should be sturdy for my almost 3yo, but I'm not loving the feel as I knit. It's like it's made of birch.
I find Fishermans hurts my hands when I knit with it. In terms of inexpensive yarns to learn on and/or learn to dye, I prefer Patons classic or Patons merino over Fishermans though I do use Fishermans from time to time.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hi Sara! Aran is a weight, a little heavier than worsted. It's a good weight for a newer knitter because it works up fast. I love aran BFL. It's my all time favorite because it works up fast, and it's super soft. It does pill a little more than some of the more durable yarns like MMW. I like it for infants and toddlers, but you would get pilling at the knees with a crawler.

Malabrigio is a merino wool so it's going to pill a bit. I would use it for younger babies and scarves...maybe not for a toddler or crawler.

As to your original question... you pay for the amount of yarn, the particular base, and the time of the dyer. The more popular the dyer, the more they can charge. I'm new to the HC scene so I can't charge as much as the in-demand dyers. I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it so much because it's a lot of work.
thanks for the tips
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
ShyViolet
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hand dyed yarns will always be more expensive than commercially dyed yarns regardless if they are purchased from Hyena Cart or a local yarn store PP was right that you need to pay attention to the size of the skein, that will affect the price. Hyena yarns are generally speaking better quality yarns. We all tend to offer the same range of bases and they are much softer and more durable than anything I've been able to find in local stores. Mosaic Moon prices are higher because her prices include shipping, otherwise I think most dyers are in the $19-$22 range per skein depending on the base. Prices will also vary depending if the dyer has a wholesale account for getting undyed yarn, undyed yarn is double the price without a wholesale account. The dyer's talent, time and supplies are also factored into the price. There's a lot of factors. Purewool is an affordable option for hand dyed yarn. They're prices are cheaper because the labor is cheap in Uruguay and the colorways are very simple and inconsistent from dye lot to dye lot. Keep in mind the shipping is more than purchasing from someone in the US. I hope that helped explain it a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow's_lilmama View Post
So does anyone have a link to maybe a list of bases that are soft but don't pill much? My problem is that I'm not making woolies, I'm making scarves, hats, shawls, sweaters (as soon as I get brave enough) etc...I bought a bunch of the Patons bulky for a shawl for myself because it was super soft and pretty but now I'm worried about it getting all pilly...
The softer bases are more prone to pilling but if your using them for items such as hats, scarves, etc they won't pill very much since they aren't being rubbed constantly like a crawler in a pair of longies

ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #26
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow's_lilmama View Post
So does anyone have a link to maybe a list of bases that are soft but don't pill much? My problem is that I'm not making woolies, I'm making scarves, hats, shawls, sweaters (as soon as I get brave enough) etc...I bought a bunch of the Patons bulky for a shawl for myself because it was super soft and pretty but now I'm worried about it getting all pilly...
If you aren't making woolies, I don't think you have to worry as much about finding a sturdy base. Sweaters aren't getting rubbed across the floor like pants on a crawler would be. So you can use softer, squishier bases. At least that's the way I think about it. Plus pilly is okay, you can always shave it with a lint shaver when it starts to bother you, like after you finish washing it. And it will still look great!

I think that Gaia worsted and bulky are super soft but not especially sturdy, Mountain Meadow is quite sturdy but IMO the texture is not as silky, and then BFL Aran is a nice in between. HTH!

Last edited by justineybean; 12-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That was very helpful! Thanks so much!