Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
vanessadorman
Registered Users

Re: Child with VSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
My son had a small VSD when he was born that we've been told has closed up on it's own (he is 2 years old). He has other heart/aortic abnormalities though that have required two surgeries and close monitoring, so I know how hard it is to "wait and see". I hope everything goes well for your DD PM me if you want to chat!
I am glad to hear that your son's VSD closed on its own. The hole in my DD's heart is located high in the thin tissue, I have been told those don't usually close on its own, but right now we are at 50/50 chance of both self healing or surgery. Did your son have to get RSV shots?

Advertisement

vanessadorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Nemmzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn View Post
My daughter was born with an ASD. Atrial Septal Defect. Which is also a hole in the heart just in a different location. She had no outward symptoms. Her pediatrician heard a heart murmur around 15 months old and sent her for an echocardiogram. They found a moderate to large size hole, aprox 10 mm and the right side of her heart was enlarged because it was being overworked bc half the blood it was leaking through the hole. She then saw a pediatric cardiologist every 3 months until she was old enough for surgery. She just got the surgery done 7 weeks ago right before she turned 3 years old. Her hole had tissue on both sides so she was a good candidate for the occular device. So they put it in through a vein in her groin, NO open heart surgery. We were in the hospital for 24 hours and she was back to her normal self within a w eek! She will be on asprin therapy for 6 months and will carry a card around with her explaining about the device she has. She will periodically see the cardiologist too. They did the 1 month follow up last week and the echo showed that the right side of her heart was already back to normal size! I even have pictures of her heart during her surgery, it was awesome! I'm so thankful for that device!
Wow so happy your little girl is well. We are so lucky to live in this era with modern medicine!
Nemmzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my dd with down syndrome had several heart defects. a pda, 2 very small asd's and 1 small vsd. other than slow growth (we concentrated bm with formula for her first year) she had no other outward symptoms. by the grace of God all closed on their own and she has had no other issues (she is six). praying you will have a similar experience!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessadorman

I am glad to hear that your son's VSD closed on its own. The hole in my DD's heart is located high in the thin tissue, I have been told those don't usually close on its own, but right now we are at 50/50 chance of both self healing or surgery. Did your son have to get RSV shots?
Actually, my son just had another echo done on Wed. And as it turns out, his VSD did NOT close - it's still there. It is small enough, and in such a spot that even though they told me its likely never to close at this point, its also unlikely to ever cause him a problem. Here's hoping that's the case! He was never given RSV shots, no. How is your DD doing?

(enter witty comment about posting from my phone here)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn View Post
My daughter was born with an ASD. Atrial Septal Defect. Which is also a hole in the heart just in a different location. She had no outward symptoms. Her pediatrician heard a heart murmur around 15 months old and sent her for an echocardiogram. They found a moderate to large size hole, aprox 10 mm and the right side of her heart was enlarged because it was being overworked bc half the blood it was leaking through the hole. She then saw a pediatric cardiologist every 3 months until she was old enough for surgery. She just got the surgery done 7 weeks ago right before she turned 3 years old. Her hole had tissue on both sides so she was a good candidate for the occular device. So they put it in through a vein in her groin, NO open heart surgery. We were in the hospital for 24 hours and she was back to her normal self within a w eek! She will be on asprin therapy for 6 months and will carry a card around with her explaining about the device she has. She will periodically see the cardiologist too. They did the 1 month follow up last week and the echo showed that the right side of her heart was already back to normal size! I even have pictures of her heart during her surgery, it was awesome! I'm so thankful for that device!
My DD has an ASD too. We are hoping it closes on its own. Thank you for sharing your story
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was delivered at 37 weeks and diagnosed with a small, asymptomatic VSD. She had several tests on her heart when she was a day old... scared the crud out of DH and me! At her 1 month pedi appt, her pedi (who orignally heard the murmur) said he still heard it. At her 2 month appt, he couldn't hear it anymore. At 3 months, she had a follow-up appt with the pediatric cardiologist and he confirmed that the VSD had closed. It is my understanding that with small, asymptomatic VSDs surgery isn't usually required even if it doesn't close, and the only treatments would be extra precautions during times of cardiac stress (ie. antibiotics when having dental procedures.)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
b bright
Registered Users
seller

I was just browsing through and wanted to add something... My half brother was born with a heart defect and when I started reading this thread, I googled to see exactly what he had..apparently it's the same thing that your child has. Well, I think my brothers was worse though. It's called Tetrology of Fallot. Here is the info I found on it. It said "in it's classic form, these are the problems" (or something to that effect).

-Ventricular septal defect (hole between the right and left ventricles)

-Narrowing of the pulmonary outflow tract (the valve and artery that connect the heart with the lungs)

-Overriding aorta (the artery that carries oxygen-rich blood to the body) that is shifted over the right ventricle and ventricular septal defect, instead of coming out only from the left ventricle

-Thickened wall of the right ventricle (right ventricular hypertrophy)

I never knew he had something so bad! He was such a tiny thing when he was born and had open heart surgery at 3 months old. I don't know of any device being out in him, but I didn't know a whole lot about all of this. When he had the surgery I was only 13ish so I just knew he was sick and needed to get better. Anywho, another success story here (why I wanted to tell you this story!). He is now a healthy active almost 12 year old! He is kind of small but I don't know if that's from having the heart problems or just because his mom is also small. He does have this huge scar on his chest that, if he plays it right, is gonna be a huge hit with the ladies...lol. He used to tell everybody that he got the scar because our dad cut him open. It was cute for a while. Lol. so while a scar may be unsightly and it could cause some self image issues, know that it doesn't happen to everybody and it can actually turn out to be a funny story! (no telling what he will tell the girls when he starts dating) :P but, I really hope your LO heals on their own and doesn't need any surgery, but children everywhere are having success stories!!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
gabesmamamadeit
Registered Users
seller

My baby due in June may have a VSD, we are going for a pediatric cardiologist appointment in one week so we will have more answers then. Reading your experiences is encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Examples of my work
gabesmamamadeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd had a VSD in utero that closed on its own before birth and an ASD that she was born with that closed on its own (we only needed monitoring via echos) shortly after she turned four.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD had a large VSD and two ASDs. They found them in the hospital when she was 2 days old. She went into pulmonary overcirculation / congestive heart failure pretty quickly, was on lasix, aldactone, digoxin, and 2 others than I can't remember. She also had to have a NG tube for feedings that was put in when she was about 8 weeks old because she was too sick & weak to nurse. She had open heart surgery at 11 weeks. Although her VSD was large, they were able to do a primary closure rather than using a patch because of the odd shape of the opening. The surgery went well, but she developed a chylothorax (a not uncommon complication of open heart surgery) and collapsed lung, had difficulty weaning off the ventilator, etc. It was a mess for a while.

But, she just turned 3 a couple of months ago and she's doing awesome now. She's 95th percentile for height, so no growth restriction from the heart defect, and active as can be. The pediatric cardiologist said she can be an Olympic athlete if she wants to be. If it weren't for the zipper scar on her chest, you'd never know she was born with a heart defect.

You may want to check out www.mendedlittlehearts.org they have quite a few resources for heart moms.