Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #231
ArronDalesMama's Avatar
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,811
2 more things down. Beside part of my finger I cut off while quilting. Lol.

1 broken glass cup
1 broken bubble gum toy (yay because I hated this thing so much)

Anyone have problems with getting rid of toys then say 6 months later the child asking for them again? I donated 2 stuffed dogs my son never played with and he asked last night where they went. The only thing I could think of was to tell him they went to other kids because he got new toys this Christmas. He hadn't seen the things in over 6 months! Luckily I calmed him down with 2 of the dogs stuffed toys (I know! Rotfl) I also gave him my stuffed penguin dh got me when we first started dating. This kid has a memory and I swear doesn't forget a thing. Maybe I need to incorporate him when I purge his toys?

Advertisement

__________________
Katie
Wife to Arron Jr.
Mama to Arron III & Miss RubyJean
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #232
mjg2043's Avatar
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,135
My Mood:
I think I might have hit 2011 already lol. A couch, a desk, 2 footstools and five giant garbage bags of clothes have gone out the door already. There was also a huge toy clean out and that was another several bags. I have to do this once or twice a year or things get out of control.
__________________
WAHM for tutoring company and wife to my Hubby. Full time mom to Gabby (9/04) and Anthony (1/08)
mjg2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #233
kbz2002's Avatar
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CNY
Posts: 14,604
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post
2 more things down. Beside part of my finger I cut off while quilting. Lol.

1 broken glass cup
1 broken bubble gum toy (yay because I hated this thing so much)

Anyone have problems with getting rid of toys then say 6 months later the child asking for them again? I donated 2 stuffed dogs my son never played with and he asked last night where they went. The only thing I could think of was to tell him they went to other kids because he got new toys this Christmas. He hadn't seen the things in over 6 months! Luckily I calmed him down with 2 of the dogs stuffed toys (I know! Rotfl) I also gave him my stuffed penguin dh got me when we first started dating. This kid has a memory and I swear doesn't forget a thing. Maybe I need to incorporate him when I purge his toys?

I usually have dd help me with getting rid of her toys that way she knows otherwise she remembers as well. And usually I tell her it's going to a kid who doesn't have any toys so she feels better about it.

The only problem with that is that she always wants to keep the stuffed animals and 100 baby dolls and wants to get rid of something I don't want to get rid of.

But usually I will tell her you HAVE to get rid of X number of stuffed animals, etc, etc. Otherwise we would never get rid of stuff.
__________________
-Kathy, a WOHM mom to Victoria (11/11/07) and Lukas James (11/6/2012)!
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #234
FindingMercy's Avatar
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,479
My Mood:
Thankfully my DD doesn't seem to realize which toys I've purged. She's swimming in the ones that are left still, so that may be part of it.
__________________
Married to Scott and Mama to Evelyn (5) Annabelle (3) and Abraham (1)

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #235
astro_girl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

What a neat idea! I've known for a few years that I need to do this, but I can't seem to finish one room it's so overwhelming. Will keep reading to try and get some motivation. I swear the clutter here is what's keeping us from moving into a bigger house that we desperately need!
astro_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #236
astro_girl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

This is our problem, too. I'm tying to reserve the d&*$n zhu zhu pet collection that a relative started for my DC 2 Christmases ago (I never wanted those things!). I can't recall the last time the kids played with them...oh! It was when I got them out asking if it was OK to give them to a child who didn't have as many toys as they did, to which my DC all cried, "NO!!!" and played with them for about 20 minutes. I think I'll put those in a bag and sell or donate since there are a bunch of space-hogging habitats and some of the pets themselves I don't think work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz2002 View Post
I usually have dd help me with getting rid of her toys that way she knows otherwise she remembers as well. And usually I tell her it's going to a kid who doesn't have any toys so she feels better about it.

The only problem with that is that she always wants to keep the stuffed animals and 100 baby dolls and wants to get rid of something I don't want to get rid of.

But usually I will tell her you HAVE to get rid of X number of stuffed animals, etc, etc. Otherwise we would never get rid of stuff.
astro_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #237
TrammellyFamily's Avatar
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chehalis WA
Posts: 4,704
My kids zhu zhu pets keep being attacked by our puppy, and the kids don't even care! So they are officially dog toys now!
__________________
Erin- wifey to Jarred, proud mama to Colton, Meadow, Cove and Cam
TrammellyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #238
kbz2002's Avatar
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CNY
Posts: 14,604
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post
My kids zhu zhu pets keep being attacked by our puppy, and the kids don't even care! So they are officially dog toys now!
LOL... DD looked at the zhu zhu pets the other day when we went to target. I told her no. We have squinkies all over the house. I don't want anymore.

But this one made me LOL, I used to have a Roomba, the dog kept using it as his personal toy and DH thought it was hysterical so he let him.... that was an expensive dog toy!!

Come to think of it, I still have some of the "walls" of the Roomba somewhere. I know I can get rid of those.

I did also have another book sell!! One more thing out of the house forever and a little extra cash made (a whole $2 after fees )
__________________
-Kathy, a WOHM mom to Victoria (11/11/07) and Lukas James (11/6/2012)!
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #239
jennak's Avatar
jennak
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: minnesota
Posts: 4,299
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

I think I'm somewhere around 500 items gone. And I can hardly tell
__________________
jenna, wife to andy, mama to natalie born 06.18.08 and paisley 09.25.11
jennak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #240
steffylikewoah's Avatar
steffylikewoah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 938
My Mood:
Re: 2,012 items in 2012

I haven't felt well today. I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or I'm just pregnant . SO, literally the ONLY thing I did today was go through expired medications. That did clear out 29 items for the day though!

Total gone: 91
Left to go: 1921
__________________
Stephanie + Joe =
Kassidy Lynn (6/1/06) Noah James (5/1/09) & Kaylee Elaine (3/31/12)
steffylikewoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.