Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #231
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

2 more things down. Beside part of my finger I cut off while quilting. Lol.

1 broken glass cup
1 broken bubble gum toy (yay because I hated this thing so much)

Anyone have problems with getting rid of toys then say 6 months later the child asking for them again? I donated 2 stuffed dogs my son never played with and he asked last night where they went. The only thing I could think of was to tell him they went to other kids because he got new toys this Christmas. He hadn't seen the things in over 6 months! Luckily I calmed him down with 2 of the dogs stuffed toys (I know! Rotfl) I also gave him my stuffed penguin dh got me when we first started dating. This kid has a memory and I swear doesn't forget a thing. Maybe I need to incorporate him when I purge his toys?

Advertisement

ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #232
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think I might have hit 2011 already lol. A couch, a desk, 2 footstools and five giant garbage bags of clothes have gone out the door already. There was also a huge toy clean out and that was another several bags. I have to do this once or twice a year or things get out of control.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #233
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 2,012 items in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post
2 more things down. Beside part of my finger I cut off while quilting. Lol.

1 broken glass cup
1 broken bubble gum toy (yay because I hated this thing so much)

Anyone have problems with getting rid of toys then say 6 months later the child asking for them again? I donated 2 stuffed dogs my son never played with and he asked last night where they went. The only thing I could think of was to tell him they went to other kids because he got new toys this Christmas. He hadn't seen the things in over 6 months! Luckily I calmed him down with 2 of the dogs stuffed toys (I know! Rotfl) I also gave him my stuffed penguin dh got me when we first started dating. This kid has a memory and I swear doesn't forget a thing. Maybe I need to incorporate him when I purge his toys?

I usually have dd help me with getting rid of her toys that way she knows otherwise she remembers as well. And usually I tell her it's going to a kid who doesn't have any toys so she feels better about it.

The only problem with that is that she always wants to keep the stuffed animals and 100 baby dolls and wants to get rid of something I don't want to get rid of.

But usually I will tell her you HAVE to get rid of X number of stuffed animals, etc, etc. Otherwise we would never get rid of stuff.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #234
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Thankfully my DD doesn't seem to realize which toys I've purged. She's swimming in the ones that are left still, so that may be part of it.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #235
astro_girl
Registered Users
seller

What a neat idea! I've known for a few years that I need to do this, but I can't seem to finish one room it's so overwhelming. Will keep reading to try and get some motivation. I swear the clutter here is what's keeping us from moving into a bigger house that we desperately need!
astro_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #236
astro_girl
Registered Users
seller

This is our problem, too. I'm tying to reserve the d&*$n zhu zhu pet collection that a relative started for my DC 2 Christmases ago (I never wanted those things!). I can't recall the last time the kids played with them...oh! It was when I got them out asking if it was OK to give them to a child who didn't have as many toys as they did, to which my DC all cried, "NO!!!" and played with them for about 20 minutes. I think I'll put those in a bag and sell or donate since there are a bunch of space-hogging habitats and some of the pets themselves I don't think work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz2002 View Post
I usually have dd help me with getting rid of her toys that way she knows otherwise she remembers as well. And usually I tell her it's going to a kid who doesn't have any toys so she feels better about it.

The only problem with that is that she always wants to keep the stuffed animals and 100 baby dolls and wants to get rid of something I don't want to get rid of.

But usually I will tell her you HAVE to get rid of X number of stuffed animals, etc, etc. Otherwise we would never get rid of stuff.
astro_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #237
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

My kids zhu zhu pets keep being attacked by our puppy, and the kids don't even care! So they are officially dog toys now!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #238
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post
My kids zhu zhu pets keep being attacked by our puppy, and the kids don't even care! So they are officially dog toys now!
LOL... DD looked at the zhu zhu pets the other day when we went to target. I told her no. We have squinkies all over the house. I don't want anymore.

But this one made me LOL, I used to have a Roomba, the dog kept using it as his personal toy and DH thought it was hysterical so he let him.... that was an expensive dog toy!!

Come to think of it, I still have some of the "walls" of the Roomba somewhere. I know I can get rid of those.

I did also have another book sell!! One more thing out of the house forever and a little extra cash made (a whole $2 after fees )
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #239
jennak
Registered Users
seller

I think I'm somewhere around 500 items gone. And I can hardly tell
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #240
steffylikewoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't felt well today. I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or I'm just pregnant . SO, literally the ONLY thing I did today was go through expired medications. That did clear out 29 items for the day though!

Total gone: 91
Left to go: 1921