Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My stroller broke today!!!

I got my stroller 5 years ago. My son is only three but his sister was doing well one day at the hospital and we thought that we would get her something in prep for her coming home. So we got her a stroller fitting her. At the time we would have done ANYTHING to bring her home so we thought we were getting the best stroller. It cost us $750 and my inlaws when they heard, offered to pay for it. I was a complete stroller snob because I was a nanny for a number of years prior to getting married and I ALWAYS hated the strollers I had to work with, except for one stroller that was imported from Europe. This stroller was the same style and I it... until today. I couldn't get (and still can't) get the stroller that the family brought over from Europe.

I haven't been using the stroller because my son is large. He outgrew the stroller height wise about a year ago. However yesterday we went into NYC (we never go there) and DS still naps. It did well in the city and today we went out shopping and decided to use it again as he still needed to nap today. I was unloading our packages from the under carriage and among the packages was a bar joining the 2 sides (with the wheels, it is a 4 wheeled design) just sitting there. Thankfully my son didn't get hurt but I was VERY sad to see my stroller broken.

DH I thought would be more upset by it but he isn't. He assures me I can get another one for the next (and VERY much anticipated) child. I will be cycling (TTC for those who don't know what that is) hopefully in August so I have time. DH isn't really concerned about cost because he knows what this stroller meant to me.

However now my needs have changed. I really want to wear the next child as much as possiable, however I hope to take a cross country trip to see family when the baby is about 3 months old and having the bassinet that my broken stroller had, would come in handy for that. I am thinking for naps and play time. I will also co-sleep at night (my son was in the bassinet till about 3 months when I discovered Co-sleeping was much better for our family). My stroller was large so size isn't important. I was shocked when I was reading about other strollers that many of them don't hold children that have weight to them. My son was around 33 lbs at about 18 months. So I need something that has a higher weight limit. I also like one that has big wheels. When I need a stroller I need it for all day type things generally speaking.

Does anyone know of a stroller that is like this and would last for more then 1 child? I have 5 frozen and statistically speaking that means I have (God willing) 2 more pregnancies in me. Or should I just go cheep-o route and forget about a stroller and practice wearing more next time? Though I do have medical issues that will require somewhere to put the baby when I am being examined.

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Re: My stroller broke today!!!

I'm sorry your stroller broke
I understand that it meant a lot more to you then "just" being a stroller.

BUT that being said the good news is strollers have REALLY improved over the past few years and there are some GREAT ones out there. If I were you (and I am sort of in your shoes right now as we are expecting) I would hold off until closer to the baby actually being born. Reason being that there have been so many new models out in the last while and huge improvements made to exsiting models, that you could be missing something great by buying too soon. Although I am 21 weeks I am window shopping only - hoping that the buggy that answers all my dreams comes out!

My current suggestion to someone who "had" to buy today would be an UppaBaby Vista for a single and a Baby Jogger City Select for a double. I've have/had both of these and LOVE them - although I do love the Uppababy more as it was a bit nicer and included more things - bassinet, rain cover, sun cover.

NOW we need a triple and I just can't find anything that seems like it will work for me...
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
crumpetmlp
Registered Users
seller

I have a britax bready and a bumbleride indie- both you can get the little carriage/bassinet piece for and both are quite versatile. The britax bready can hold an extra seat very similar to a Phil and Ted's. I've also tried and loved the bugaboo chameleon and the bumbleride queen b (and very similar to the queen bee, an inglesina Sofia pram stroller). The queen bee you can get a toddler attachment for and your older child can also ride in the stroller. All of these have characteristics you are looking for or similar to what you are looking for- especially the bumbleride and inglesina. Hth
Old 12-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

I'm so sorry If you don't mind size, I am going to suggest a Baby Jogger City Select. You can use it as a single and then if you're blessed again, you can make it into a double. It's big enough for me to put a decent amount of groceries in the basket when I grocery shop and for my sons to nap comfortably in it. And it's small enough that I can use it on European sidewalks and stores.

The weight limit per seat is 45 lbs. The wheels aren't ginormous, but they're sturdy. I've had no problem using the stroller to go up dirt hiking trails to look at castles. And they're not air filled so I don't have to worry about getting a flat. But they roll like air-filled tires.

When they were doing 2 naps a day, I'd recline both of their seats and let them nap while I walked around our housing complex to get some exercise- so they must be comfortable!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I do think I will be waiting till I am past 20 weeks before I purchase anything (more then likely after 30 weeks as that is really my goal with the next pregnancy). However I like to know what is out there so I can keep an eye out on the market. I am doing this already with diaper bags as I know I will need another one of those too (hated my last one).

The Uppababy Vista is a nice stroller but I worry since the toddler seat doesn't go flat that I wouldn't like it. I can remember a few times when we changed DS in his stroller.

The Baby jogger city select is nice and I really like those features (and accessories to make it do things that my old stroller can't. But I still worry about the flat issue when I need to change a diaper. Though I may be putting more emphasis on that then I should.

Bugaboo I was looking at last night and it has a ridiculously low max weight in it. I honestly don't think my son could be in it past 18 months. Glad I didn't get that when I got my last one.

The Bumbleride Indie is a nice stroller and I would have to figure out how important it is to me to have the older child face me. I really liked that feature when I took my son to the WI state fair when he was 9-10 months old. So maybe it is important to me. The Queen B is very much like my current broken stroller so that is definitely an option for me. I looked at the Sofia when I was purchasing my current stroller and we went with the Peg Perego because of the non-air filled tires. So I would have to look at that again. The stroller that I liked as a nanny was Emmaljunga. I know it last through more then one child as it was on the second child (who was 12 years younger then the first) when I used it. However like I said I can't get it in this country... at least that I can find.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

I have had six strollers and I recently got the britax b ready. I love it! My five year old DD1 sits on top and dd2 at ten months sits on the second seat on the bottom. The second seat on bottom can go flat if she is sleeping as can the top seat if my older dd wants it to be flat as well. There are so many combinations and possibilities with this stroller. I would suggest you look at reviews of this stroller, I chose this over the uppa baby vista because I didn't like how the second seat on the vista wasn't fully functional, and it really looks out of place to me.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love our britax b ready!! We only have one LO, but this stroller is awesome!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What did you have before? You may be able to get the same stroller in an apdated model (and hopefelly it will be a bit stronger). My favorite strollers have been:

- an older teutonia, which had loads of interchangable accessories
-the bebecar raider AT, which was a big stroller for a singleton, but could go anywhere on our forest trails.
-our Valco twin runabout. We still use this when we are going on large walks. If you did end up with multiples again this would be my recommendations

I had always planned on getting the Queen B, until I found out that I would need a double stroller with a toddler seat. It's interesting that other moms are recommeding that one, as I have seen very few of them when out and about.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a Peg Perego Culla. It is full size pram with interchangable seats. http://global.pegperego.com/babyprod...log/2011/Culla This is it but it is available in Europe but not here. The bar that you see under the seat above the basket is what broke on my stroller.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I had a Peg Perego Culla. It is full size pram with interchangable seats. http://global.pegperego.com/babyprod...log/2011/Culla This is it but it is available in Europe but not here. The bar that you see under the seat above the basket is what broke on my stroller.
That is a pretty nice stroller. It's quite similar to the Teutonia that I had. It also had the interchangeble seat/carrycot and pramlike tires (two sets). Why is it that Europe seems to have so many more options for?

Was your son over the weight capacity? Perhaps you could contact Peg, and see if they are willing to do anything to help you out? I have never heard of a peg breaking.