Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Question for knitters!

A friend of mine just finished her very first project having learned to knit a month or so ago. it's a pair of shorties for her son and they look awesome. she's got a few little technical errors in there that can be improved but they LOOK AWESOME. And someone other than another knitter wouldn't notice the flaws probably. My own first project was a Little Turtle Knits soaker 6 1/2 years ago. It was a wonderful learning experience. I just went step by step and used knittinghelp.com to learn each new technique as I went and it all turned out fine. You just have to pick a good pattern that's written in great detail and received rave reviews. Something that is completely correct by a well-known knitter usually so that you don't get stuck on a part because they have an error. Get on Ravelry and start looking for simple longies patterns and you should be okay. They'll tell you in the pattern what size needles you need and what kind of yarn. Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I taught myself to knit, with the help of online videos, specifically to do longies. That was my first project, very easy! I have then done soakers, shorties, hats, tops, sleep sacks and kimono sweaters. I think scarves are not Worth my time, i'd rather just buy one ( no offense to those who like making scarves). I think longies would be a very doable project and you pick up new skills with each pattern.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

So I'm a beginning knitter myself (3 months) and I say just jump in. I started a scarf but still haven't finished it because...well it just wasn't fun. My first finished project was a pair of longies. Then I did 2 hats and another pair of longies. I started with Evie Pants pattern and I really like it. I just got the Sheepy Pants and will try that next. I did go to a class where I learned to do knit, purl and bind off on straight needles but that was enough for me to understand enough to learn more.

My advice is to not read ahead in the pattern and get stressed out and overwhelmed. Every time I did that I had to put it down and I would be so wound up I couldn't touch it for a couple days LOL! Just work on the one bit at a time. Learn that technique and get comfy before you turn the page. For needles I too really dislike bamboo. My favorites are Addi and KnitPicks Harmony. Get on Ravelry too. Also having a nice pair of woolies done by someone who knows what they are doing to look at was helpful to me.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just want to add that I really really really prefer double pointed needles over short circulars. I find them much easier and faster. I use them for the legs of the longies.
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Simply Sanity Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I like bamboo for acrylic yarn.... And I hate double pointed needles, preferring to do the legs on short circulars...I'm just faster that way

Sanity, who is currently laying in bed incubating a Tiny Human, and using her Droid2 to browse DS
Simply Sanity Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
picassoofcloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I though myself how to knit through asking friends, family, and YouTube. The only way you will know if you are ready for the next step is to try. It's like teaching a kid how to ride a bike. Other than straight needles, to knit in rounds you need double point needles or circular needles. I HATE bamboo myself, so I tend to use Susan Bates aluminum needles or Addi-turbo needles. It's a preference on what is easier smaller or larger patterns. I like larger because you can see what you are doing and see how it's working out before you try it on a smaller stitch.

If you are looking to make longies in the long run, my suggestion to you would be, make hat using double pointed needles or a circular needle. Knitting in rounds is easier than sewing up a piece in the end. I also find alot of my patterns on Knitty.com, LionBrand.com, and Raverly.com. And I can't forget about the $3.00 books from Michaels that have 30 different stitch types. I like knitting scarves just to test out different stitches.

Good luck!!

Last edited by picassoofcloth; 12-31-2011 at 08:18 AM.
picassoofcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started with a dishcloth, then used a hat to learn knitting in the round, a.k.a. Magic loop, then moved straight to Sheepy Pants. Her pattern was super detailed. Now, I grant you I did shed tears a couple of times but it FORCED me to learn new knitting skills, just like sock knitting did.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Btw, I ordered my cables from Knitpicks and am adding different sizes as I need them until I have a whole set. I use aluminum. I'm using Harmony right now and while they are lovely, I strongly prefer aluminum.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught myself to knit and my first project was a pair of longies.

you might be surprised what you are capable of doing.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wasted a lot of money on needles before finding Addi turbos, wish I'd found them from the start. I also love using circulars for the entire longies. I don't think I've made anything on straight needles yet. I love only having to knit and not alternate knit rows and purl rows.