Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can't have a homebirth- what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HappyfAAMily View Post
I wanted a home birth but am on the third floor of an apartment so I know how you feel mama. Its just not gunna happen for me luckily my hospital was actually one of (if not the first) to offer full water births in new england and is so very accepting of supporting mamas. Getting mamas off their backs and laboring however they feel best! I pray for you and hope that you are able to find your perfect birthing experience
Not sure what your whole situation is, but women have water births in apartments around here all of the time and most building are much taller than 3 stories. Many women set up birth pools on the second story of there houses also. Are youjust concerned about the weight of the pool?

Advertisement

Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a medical social worker, I would caution you that No Prenatal Care + trying to leave AMA would result in a hold and a Children's Services report at pretty much ANY hospital. Better to get the pre-natal care, sign AMA to refuse the testing you don't desire along the road and then AMA to leave early. I agree that it is insane how much unnecessary "care" is pressed upon expecting women in this country, but it is also VERY easy to avoid much of it without any problem -- and without even being asked to sign AMA. Much of the testing you just have to sign an acknowledgement form that it was offered and I always tell my providers "I'm not going to terminate no matter the results of the testing, so I feel that the test is unnecessary." Usually ends the conversation very quickly and then they just ask me to sing a form stating that they did offer.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRina View Post
As a medical social worker, I would caution you that No Prenatal Care + trying to leave AMA would result in a hold and a Children's Services report at pretty much ANY hospital. Better to get the pre-natal care, sign AMA to refuse the testing you don't desire along the road and then AMA to leave early. I agree that it is insane how much unnecessary "care" is pressed upon expecting women in this country, but it is also VERY easy to avoid much of it without any problem -- and without even being asked to sign AMA. Much of the testing you just have to sign an acknowledgement form that it was offered and I always tell my providers "I'm not going to terminate no matter the results of the testing, so I feel that the test is unnecessary." Usually ends the conversation very quickly and then they just ask me to sing a form stating that they did offer.
P.S. When I say a "hold" the hospital would likely hold your baby against your will until Children's Services arrives. And YES, they can do that.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i cant have a HB for medical reasons either. i see a midwife with an OB practice that delivers at the hospital i like and know(delivered 3x there already). if the atlanta birthing center was opened i would try to deliver there but if not id deliver at the hospital. its not safe for me to deliver at home so its a non issue.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
thanks everyone!! . The only birth centers here are run by midwives and they 1) don't accept medicaid 2) midwives won't accept me. They are further for me as well, which i wouldn't mind (except for the gas $$). I *would* have a lay midwife and homebirth like I did for my 4th, but now that VA has CPMs no one is underground anymore.
Keep the ideas coming
You're in Virginia also? I totally know what you mean about not being able to afford a homebirth. I guess we're going to manage it somehow, but there are no longer any Medicaid insurance companies in my area who cover CPMs. It sucks because I was told by two local midwives that the birth would be 60% covered, which made it affordable, but the insurance company changed their policy this past year.

If I had to do a hospital birth, I'd probably try to time it like we did last time (accidentally) and show up crowning. I'd be tempted to do it again, but I really just don't like going to the hospital and being there for any length of time. I just cant...do...it. Financially, I have no idea how we're going to pay for it...but our midwife is pretty laid back and is willing to wait until we can come up with the money. That's the only way I could be planning a homebirth at this point.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't read the whole thread, but are you sure no midwife will accept you? Many CNMs work closely with a back-up OB. I've seen CNM's at the hospital I work at deliver patients who would normally risk out of midwifery care. They are able to consult and share care with their back-up OB. It might be worth a try.

Hope your little one's birth is lovely. I haven't planned to have any of my three children at the hospital, but I ended up there with #2 and #3. I can honestly say my second and third birth experiences were just as lovely as the first.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
babychase
Registered Users

I desperately wanted a home birth also and it isn't covered by Medicaid in Arkansas. I'm not even aware of any birth centers in my area. I'm traveling over an hour to see my OB because he's very laid back and the hospital he uses has the lowest c-section and induction rates in the state.

I hope you get what you are wanting I know I feel a little robbed of my ideal birthing experience because I've been diagnosed with Pre-E and have to be induced soon because my BP stays ridiculously high.
babychase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HappyfAAMily
I wanted a home birth but am on the third floor of an apartment so I know how you feel mama. Its just not gunna happen for me luckily my hospital was actually one of (if not the first) to offer full water births in new england and is so very accepting of supporting mamas. Getting mamas off their backs and laboring however they feel best! I pray for you and hope that you are able to find your perfect birthing experience
I'm on the 2nd floor of an apartment and having a home birth?
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HappyfAAMily View Post
that's an awesome hospital!! btw, i had a home water birth and live on the 5th floor in my complex
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRina View Post
thanks for that. I have been thinking of doing my own prenatal care and then showing up at the hospital, but I see your point (and in the back of my mind, that's what I was worried about). This hospital is really cool, I only had to sign the baby AMA bc I was positive for strep, but then the ped came and checked him and told me to take him to my ped the next day, so I don't know if they kept the AMA status in my chart. The OB and nurses didn't have any prob with me/us leaving. However, I did have prenatal with a MW up until 37 wks when I switched to the OB.
The testing I don't want to do is mostly the GD one and also, I really don't want them to use a doppler, but I know they won't have a fetalscope, so I don't really even want to do prenatals. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
You're in Virginia also? I totally know what you mean about not being able to afford a homebirth. I guess we're going to manage it somehow, but there are no longer any Medicaid insurance companies in my area who cover CPMs. It sucks because I was told by two local midwives that the birth would be 60% covered, which made it affordable, but the insurance company changed their policy this past year.

If I had to do a hospital birth, I'd probably try to time it like we did last time (accidentally) and show up crowning. I'd be tempted to do it again, but I really just don't like going to the hospital and being there for any length of time. I just cant...do...it. Financially, I have no idea how we're going to pay for it...but our midwife is pretty laid back and is willing to wait until we can come up with the money. That's the only way I could be planning a homebirth at this point.
There are MWs here who say they take medicaid, but then state that they have about $500 worth of OOP expenses not covered which we canNOT do at all. no way. Then my BP has started high....I have a kidney disease that has apparently gotten worse, so the BP is the reason they wouldn't cover me. I would like to just show up late, but the only hospital I am willing to go to is an hr away, on non-busy roads and we will have a 2 yr old with us, so I don't want to wait too long. Plus, I had no idea....thought my other labor was gonna be faster (so did the nurses) but I stayed at 10 with no waters until they MADE me push.....I think he was posterior til the end and not budging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but are you sure no midwife will accept you? Many CNMs work closely with a back-up OB. I've seen CNM's at the hospital I work at deliver patients who would normally risk out of midwifery care. They are able to consult and share care with their back-up OB. It might be worth a try.

Hope your little one's birth is lovely. I haven't planned to have any of my three children at the hospital, but I ended up there with #2 and #3. I can honestly say my second and third birth experiences were just as lovely as the first.
I am sure. The only CNMs around here won't take anyone slightly high risk even with their back up OBs and they don't take medicaid. There is another one that I go to for GYN stuff, but I think I am too high risk, but the main reason I won't go to them is bc I won't deliver in the hospital where they practice.
I had 1st 2- hospital births
3 & 4th- home
5th- hospital. <--- this hospital experience was, for the most part, awesome, but it's far, we will have our 2 yr old there and....I just want to be at home

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 01-09-2012 at 05:28 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote