Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Glucose test flunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
If you've never failed the one hour test, but still had it, how would you recommend that other moms get tested for it? I wish that there were better protocols for testing sugar levels (one sugary beverage maybe after fasting, maybe not doesn't seem to be too reliable), and better advice for avoiding it and managing it.
I've never failed it either, but was diagnosed last pregnancy. I did the home testing after i refused the OGTT last pregnancy. The equipment can be expensive and every patient would have to be trained how to use the equipment properly and safely. B/C of those reasons, it's more feasible to give the GTT in office and go from there. It will weed out most people, some will need to retest, and some may get skipped. It's one screening tool out of a many (larger weight gain in short time- i gained 10lbs in 1 month, spilling sugars into urine, low/high fluid levels, etc)

Quote:
that's interesting- why did they test you so early in pregnancy to begin with? I definitely wouldn't want to be drinking that crap with severe MS! If your sugar levels have been good at home it seems reasonable that you don't really have GDM.
she's in my DDC and i'm pretty sure she tested so early b/c she has a strong family history of diabetes, having a sister that was recently diagnosed

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
that's interesting- why did they test you so early in pregnancy to begin with? I definitely wouldn't want to be drinking that crap with severe MS! If your sugar levels have been good at home it seems reasonable that you don't really have GDM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post

she's in my DDC and i'm pretty sure she tested so early b/c she has a strong family history of diabetes, having a sister that was recently diagnosed
Yep. Tygr2410 is correct. I was tested early because of these risk factors:
1. I was over 25
2. I had a baby that was 9.1 lbs
3. I have a sister that was just diagnosed with diabetes (but who also has PCOS and a much different body shape and has always been over weight)

I am going to talk to my OB at my next visit and see what she has to say. I really don't want to be labeled high risk if I'm not. I would even be okay with being labeled glucose intolerant (body just processing sugar a little slower).

I don't even think they thought about me being so sick and having lost so much weight before they gave me the test. I'm now 1/2 way through my pregnancy and just about reaching my pregnancy weight (127) So I haven't put on a lot of weight or anything. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she says.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't ask my numbers either but I failed my one hour. My three hour test came back "excellent" but I worried over it for DAYS. Don;t know if I read it or if someone told me, but I heard the percentage of pregger women failing their three hour is actually really super low.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is my 3rd pregnancy with GD. Each time it has come earlier. This time, I took the 1 hour between 6 and 7 weeks and failed badly with a 201. I was sent straight to the diabetes educator. I remember I was devastated the first time I had it. The second time was easier and now the third time I'm just not sure what to expect since it's so early. Those NST's sucked time, majorly. I hated them.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
Angjals12
Registered Users
seller

I just failed my 1 hr test on Thursday with a 147. This is Lo #3 for me and I never had it with my other two. I am takin my 3 hr on Friday- my ob said not to worry cuz the cut off was 130... But still stressing over it
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sometimes they give you an early test if you've had GD before. And they give you the regular test later on as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #27
mom2estella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
I just barely passed with my first baby, so they had me do the 1 hour again. That one I failed by one point. I did the 3 hour and passed all but the 2 hour draw - it was 2 points over. I was considered a glucose intolerant.

Baby #2, I passed
Baby #3 (still pregnant) I failed the 1 hour with a 208!!! This was a 12 weeks along. I went to go do the 3 hour but failed the fasting by one point so they didn't have me do the rest (drink the glucose). They just diagnosed me with GD from that.

I accepted that, but now I'm wondering if I really have it. I think my first test was off because of severe morning sickness. I was hardly eating or keeping liquids down. I had just gone in a few weeks before for IV fluids. I think the test was skewed from what is called "starvation diabetes" All my at home numbers have been good, so I'm going to talk to my OB about it at my next appointment.
I had a similar experience, Mama. I failed the first test by 5 points. Then had a bad reaction to the GTT--felt sick that morning, fasted for 14 hrs. My fasting was 70, BUT then my numbers kept going up--170, 176, 201. A month of home monitoring and my fastings have stayed in the low 70s and my postprandial numbers are rarely over 100.

They took blood and did a Hemoglobin A1c Test on me. My result came back at 4.9% which REALLY solidified it in my mind that I do not have GD. I wish they would give this test to everyone to assess risk BEFORE administering the glucose tests.

I've lost a pound in the past month, which isn't terrible, but now OB is worried baby is measuring 2 weeks small. I'm going to be PISSED if my baby is underweight because of altering my diet.

Last edited by mom2estella; 01-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.
mom2estella is offline   Reply With Quote