Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
greensolutions4life
Registered Users
seller
seller

K12 (Ohio Virtual Academy) vs. Connections Academy

Experiences? Good or bad? Which do you use and why? I had my mind set on Connections Academy, but would like other opinions. I like that they do virtual lessons with a teacher a few times a week, that it is not all done via computer but that she still does hands on work! Any thoughts? Thanks!

Advertisement

greensolutions4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We have used both in nevada (program is the same, i.e books and online work) just different hourly requirements. we did k12 for 2 years, then switched to connections. Connections overall is a better program. The books, and online work is much nicer. We also have less teacher contact at connections than with k12 (could vary by state)
We have now been with connections for 2 years. We have done kinder, 1st, 2nd, 3 rd, 7th, 8th and 9th grades. We are very pleased with their curriculum and the ease of use. The teachers we have had are all very nice as well.

We are pulling our kids this week though, because we have decided after 4 years of virtual school I am confident we can do it on our own. But it is not a reflection of their program, just that we have outgrow the need for a plan, teacher help etc.

Good luck!!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
greensolutions4life
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: K12 (Ohio Virtual Academy) vs. Connections Academy

ktmelody......that helped tremendously! Thank you!!!!! Oh.....and best of luck on your own!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am doing K12 in Ohio for K. I am also pulling him soon to do our own thing. I feel it is very advanced and too much for my DS. But, my DD would do well with this type of curriculum. It really depends on your child. I have found the teachers to be so nice and helpful and they are really hands off and leave me alone. There are class connect (online teaching sessions) every day that are optional but nice. I like that they use classic literature mostly. I didn't like the order in which they teach the math concepts.

I have also done K12 for 2nd grade and liked it much more than the K program. K should be fun IMO and light. K12 is neither in K.

Good luck making your choice. It is a difficult one for sure!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
greensolutions4life
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmmm......
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do K12 in Fl and I LOVE it, my son is in 1st. I agree that it seems advanced but that is why we love it. You can print out lesson plans for the week and work them then plug in every night how long you worked.
I love that a lot is off the computer and that he gets an elective (he does art)
I also love that the teacher calls to check up and meets with us in person, I really feel like she is there if we need her anytime.
You get to keep most the materials after we do not write in the workbooks but print or copy so I can reuse them if I want.
It is a great program. I might so it on my own someday but not until all my little ones are out of K.

They also have extra work for those that do not grasp a concept or advanced work for those that do.

Last edited by usnkbaal; 12-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.
usnkbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we were in k12 for a few months but had to leave. there was alot to like - everthing planned out, all the curric sent to you,teacher support, even a computer. great curric for the most part too. but there wasnt enough flexibility in the curric for us. the curric is very rigourous and advanced. it was too much for my ds1 who couldnt keep up. i know the vocab book they had him in was actually a year ahead of the grade he was in. they wanted you to move through things pretty quickly to be done by the end of the year. i felt alot of pressure to get everything done every day. you dont have to do everything listed in a lesson - you pick what your child needs and have them do that. but for my ods it was just too much for where he was at. my other ds was having a great time with the curric. it was perfect for him and he loved it. except math. it was more advanced then he was ready for. there wasnt much instruction to help him and i the teacher was very slow and didnt get him into a class for help.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

we made the transation form in school to at home through our states K12 program it was a great way to start a gentle transation.. My state *AZ* is still pretty relaxed even within the K12 program we just required to have around 20ish hours of logged in time per week they dont care how its done. I liked the overall level of academics, I actually really liked the LA program and it had a pretty impressive as compared to what she got in school history and science.
However as we went along and we were finding our nitch I became less and less happy with it more and more regulations starting creeping in and it was truly becomeing more PS at home and it was getting more annoying than her being at a school cause it was too big brother watching but giving little help.
I withdrew her last November and weve been on our own since I dont regret our k12 time but it was time to move on.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
greensolutions4life
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay......so I am glad at this moment that I have decided against K12 and am going to go for Connections Academy.....hopefully it works out well for us! Thank you all for your comments!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensolutions4life
Okay......so I am glad at this moment that I have decided against K12 and am going to go for Connections Academy.....hopefully it works out well for us! Thank you all for your comments!
Good luck! I think you will enjoy it. Makes the transition to homeschooling much easier IMO.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote