Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
kiwikay
Registered Users

My Mood:
So I managed to make the longies...now I need the hat!

Does anyone know of any free patterns to make an infant hat? I like those longish ones...or even the basic with the curled brim. I am open to anything that isn't too difficult and cute! TIA.

Advertisement

kiwikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

I have a bunch of free hat patterns on rav. Link is in my sig.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So I managed to make the longies...now I need the hat!

You can make your own pattern by finding any cute hat pattern you like on ravelry, even if they are not the long style you are after... when it tells you to start decreasing, it will say something like K8, K2tog to end of row. K all of next row. K7, K2 tog to end of row.

Instead of knitting ONE row between the decrease rows (the ones that say K#, K2tog are decrease rows, if you didn't know) you knit 4 or however many you want. If you want a super long one, do like an inch or 1.5 inches worth of rows, do another decrease, always one less than the last decrease row you knitted. So, if you k8, k2tog, your next will always be k7, k2 tog. When you get to the point that you are just k2tog, you keep doing that till you have like 3-7 live stitches left on the needle, cut your working yarn (the yarn that is connected to the ball) and feed all the way through the live stitches and cinch it down. You can look online for a tutorial for a tassel or ball.

Lastly, your cast on, with a worsted weight yarn and US6-7 needle, will probably be like 60-70 depending on your gauge, so, your decrease will not be k8 for sure... take your total amount of stitches and divide them equally so that there are no spare stitches... take that number and subtract 2, that's how many you will K before the K2. So, like K8 is going to be the first decrease number if you have a cast on divisible by 10 (8+2=10). All that clear as mud? Feel free to come into the KAL daily chat thread or message me with more specific questions.

Getting a membership to ravelry, if you do not already have one, is like getting one of the golden tickets to Willy Wonka's factory... in there is a pattern for everything you ever thought you might consider knitting and millions more you never thought about.
EskimoStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
kiwikay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: So I managed to make the longies...now I need the hat!

Wow! Thank you so much for all your help. That is very useful!
kiwikay is offline   Reply With Quote