Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
knitting question- too tight to move!

So I'm working on a neckwrap for my mom and there's a flower on one end. To knit the flower there is a crazy amount of increases every other row. I'm also using fingerling weight yarn, which is the smallest that i've ever knit with (this is project #4 for me). I almost got to the end of the second row of increases, but I can't finish it because the threads are TOO TIGHT on the needle. I can't move them at all! aaaaaaaahhhhhh. I have been working on it for a couple of hours, but I can't even rake the stitches off to try and make them looser. How did this happen, and can it be fixed? Should I just put it down and try again tomorrow and hope that they loosen?

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: knitting question- too tight to move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
So I'm working on a neckwrap for my mom and there's a flower on one end. To knit the flower there is a crazy amount of increases every other row. I'm also using fingerling weight yarn, which is the smallest that i've ever knit with (this is project #4 for me). I almost got to the end of the second row of increases, but I can't finish it because the threads are TOO TIGHT on the needle. I can't move them at all! aaaaaaaahhhhhh. I have been working on it for a couple of hours, but I can't even rake the stitches off to try and make them looser. How did this happen, and can it be fixed? Should I just put it down and try again tomorrow and hope that they loosen?
First... do you have smaller needles? if so, knit to that point and switch to the smaller needles and work them MUCH LOOSER.

If not, can you pick your stitches... un knit them individually... to that point on the row behind you?

If not, can you move yarn from the like, say, previous 10 stitches just a smidgen to give you a little more give in those stitches?

really, one of those is bound to work. If you have no smaller needles and nothing else is working grab yourself some toothpicks and next time you are at walmart, get yourself a small steel crochet hook, say, under 2.0 mm or so, and keep it with your knitting. Seriously, as silly as that may sound, crochet hooks come SO HANDY when you are knitting.
EskimoStitches is offline   Reply With Quote