Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Congenital curly toe

My dd was just diagnosed with this...she's 3, and we've always just called it her "silly toes". Right now they are binding her 2nd toe to her 3rd toe in hopes of straightening it...but I'm not hopeful. Anyone else have luck? Anyone have experience just living with it? Surgery?

Advertisement

Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I read your post last night and googled it because I've never heard of this before. I was shocked to discover that I, in fact, have this abnormality, too! It is affecting my third, fourth and fifth digits, although the fifth is the worst with my pinky toes almost sideways. I thought it was just weird toes! They look just like my moms. I have never experienced any problems with them in my life. It's not very extreme, and it's not really noticeable, so no one has ever made fun of them, or anything. I'm sure your dd will be just fine, as long as they're not overlapping or causing difficulty walking. Good luck!
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Congenital curly toe

My mother, sister, and 2 of 3 daughter's have this. Their second toes main joint has a triangle instead of round bone causing the toes to curve towards the big toe. May I ask why you decided to treat? My mother had her's surgically treated on one foot only because she always wore shoes that were very pointed and high heeled and there was no room for her toes she got calluses/corns. My sister wears all different types of shoes w/ no issue. My DD2 is 6yo and had had no issues. DD3 is 1yo and you could see the bent toes from birth. Depending on what is causing the bend taping will not work unless you kept their toes taped basically forever, because when you leave the tape off the toe will slip back into place. Feel free to pm for more info.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Treasures From Elf
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is called a delta phalanx.

And binding will not help. Seriously. Even with surgery already, my son still needs another surgery or removal of the bone to make his fingers straight.

It takes going in, cutting the growth plate (they are only supposed to be on two sides, in a delta phalanx it is on three) is the only solution. Then they put a pin through the finger/toe and cast it. It leaves a minimal scar and depending on when the surgery is done, depends on whether it takes one or two surgeries. My son was done at 2.5 and it fixed it for a short time and now he is looking at being 16 when he goes for the next surgery.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hmm my cousin has overlapping toes- never knew what it was called. Not even sure his mom knows what it's called. He's 10 & I haven't heard about it causing him any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd has this, the dr says they wont do anything. Im afraid it will affect her when she starts dance class though.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Treasures From Elf
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the record, a bone in the hands or the feet is supposed to be shaped like a rectangle with two knobs at the end. Almost like a rectangle with one heart at each end. And quite like a femur.

If your child has a round OR triangle bone, they are both delta phalanx but a round bone, it will present as worse "crookedness" typically though not always.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...1t:429,r:3,s:0

couldn't find a picture of foot with delta phalanx but here is a classic presentation in a hand

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...1t:429,r:1,s:0
Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The bone in our feet that is malformed is not the long bone at the base but the phalanx is triangular.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Treasures From Elf
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
The bone in our feet that is malformed is not the long bone at the base but the phalanx is triangular.
It is most typically the middle bone.

My husband has it in his feet and my children have it in their hands. All five of them do but only my oldest is having surgery on it. The rest are minimally "crooked"
Old 12-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest dd has this. Dr. said its genetic (which seems to be true reading some of your stories). He said don't do anything about it unless she has pain from it. Her second toe is completely over her third toe. Since she only wears flip flops and sneakers it hasn't bothered her. We'll see when she gets older and wants to wear more restrictive shoes.