Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Umbilical Cord Rings

I can't wait to ask my midwives about these Friday at my appointment! Still confused on the clamping/cutting process that gets the rings on, but I'm just totally sold on the end result!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
chelsnels64
Registered Users
seller

I would love to get one from you!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I can't wait to ask my midwives about these Friday at my appointment! Still confused on the clamping/cutting process that gets the rings on, but I'm just totally sold on the end result!
I ordered one to use instead of the bulky clamps (found DD's got in the way really bad in hospital and made it awkward for me (who had never changed a baby's diaper before...)) and have been thinking the same thing.

If you let the cord finish pulsing and let it naturally seal up entirely before cutting it, then you supposedly don't NEED a clamp of any kind (I want one just because it makes me feel more comfortable!) so I am thinking maybe once the cord is sealed and cut, we can just slide the ring on and be done.

Otherwise maybe putting a normal clamp (I already have 2 left from DD's birth kit, since we transferred to hospital) a little lower than you want it, then putting the ring on above it, then removing the regular clamp?

ETA: If you're in hospital they should be able to use it instead of a regular clamp, no issues and even a homebirth midwife should have the 'tools' to be able to do it. We are birthing unassisted at home though, so don't have the medical equipment available to make it simple

Last edited by ExpatMama1990; 12-31-2011 at 09:00 PM.
ExpatMama1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910
It looks like they cut the cord, and clamp with a removable clamp thing (sorry don't know the technical name, it's big and silver with handles). Then unclamp and hold the cord, slide the circle over the cord, and then reclamp while moving the ring into place. If you watch the video, it's easier to see how it works. They definitely have to cut and clamp first, but not with the little plastic clamp normally used.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep- clamp with hemostat, cut cord a couple inched above hemostat, slide on cord ring, clamp above cord ring with second hemostat, remove first hemostat, slide ring down into place and apply- then you can cut the cord a bit just above the ring and done!

I have 7 left available if anyone wants any, just pm me

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
crunch!910
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post
Yep- clamp with hemostat, cut cord a couple inched above hemostat, slide on cord ring, clamp above cord ring with second hemostat, remove first hemostat, slide ring down into place and apply- then you can cut the cord a bit just above the ring and done!

I have 7 left available if anyone wants any, just pm me
Awww... thankyou! Now I understand. I am just not good at picturing things, and the video wasn't very clear.

I'm absolutely SOLD! I hope my midwives have seen these before, are familiar and need no convincing to use them! But I'm sure either way it should be no problem.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingaSweetLife View Post
I had the rings used when DS was born and it was awesome. He cord was so short, it fell off within a few days and it's simple to use. We had a homebirth and the midwife just did it without me even really noticing. We did allow the cord to quit pulsing though so I don't know if that made it easier for her to do them or not.

Our midwives used the ring for DD, was totally awesome and her cord came off within a few days as well
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #18
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyA874 View Post

Our midwives used the ring for DD, was totally awesome and her cord came off within a few days as well
I realised another reason I think I will like these rings much better-
Even though they remove the hard plastic clamp after a day or so, you are left with a place on the cord that is hard and flat where the clamp pinched it- and the edges of it I remember from DD, were actually sharp and scratched her tummy!

I have 3 rings left if anyone wants any!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
MaterofJacob
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of these before! I'm definitely asking my mw about them when I see her next week
MaterofJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD #2 was a Hossy birth in Oct 2010, and they used the standard plastic clamp. But, standard procedure is now to remove the actual clamp within 24 hours, or once the cord is "dry." So I came home with a nb that had nothing on her stump, and was a breeze. DH is buying the clamp removers for our next homebirth.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote