Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mono while breastfeeding and help me get over the supply issue

2 issues I'm dealing with!

First, I've had mono since the beginning of october. It has gotten to the point where I've had to take a medical leave from work so that I can rest and hopefully get rid of this. My first week off, my DD was still in daycare and I continued to pump 3 times a day like I would at work. Kids have been home for the last 2 weeks so I've just been nursing the baby on demand. They all go back to daycare on Monday and the thought of pumping again is just NOT appealling.

Everyone keeps telling me that breastfeeding is not helping me recover and that I should wean her. As much as I don't want to pump, I'm not ready to wean my 8 month old. I'm wondering if just nursing in the morning and then in the afternoons/evening when she is home would kill my supply. I'd start pumping again regularly when I return to work in a few weeks.

Also, I have about 180 ounces of frozen milk stored and I'm so paranoid about using it all because I'm no longer able to replace what I use. I haven't left her at all during winter break because I don't want to use up my stash. I've timed all my outings around her feedings or just take her with me. This is so silly and I just can't get past it (and I know it's driving DH crazy).

So any advice is greatly appreciated! How can I just accept that what I've given her so far is great and that she will still be a healthy, happy baby?

Advertisement

kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's a tough possition to be in mama. I got pg when LO was 9months and battled my supply issues I went through my freezer stash of about 200 oz pretty fast. My goal was to make it 12 months and we did barely!

I guess I would say if you absolutely don't want to pump any more continue to BF when you can. Your supply will drop because demand is decreasing. Would you want to pump once a day? Doesn't have to be at work you could do it before going to bed. I understand not wanting to pump I loathe it especially at work! And I didn't even have mono! If you need to put her on formula to get well then do it. It's not horrible to use formula and its in both your best interests for mama to get well! Good luck, hope you get well soon.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
ncfjj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bfing is certainly not hurting you. If anything, it is helping both of you. When my second son was 5 days old, br got the flu and RSV. It had been going around the family, but I don't think it slowed down my recovery, and it certainly protected my son. You only have a few months left if you want to make it to a year.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have had mono Twice! Or as they say I have a dormant strain that flares up. I can tell when it does because my lymphnodes get swollen in one spot. Nursing won't hurt you at all as long as you are getting sufficient liquids and rest. Listen to your heart and I think you'll find you know what you want to do.