Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Cast Iron Pan-Help Please!!!

So I just got a brand new, pre-seasoned cast iron pan for Christmas, and after using it for the first time tonight, I have some seriously stuck-on egg residue that I NEED to get off.

Even tho it was pre-seasoned, I decided to season it again by rubbing a thin coat of evoo over the whole surface and sticking it into the oven, upside-down, for an hour at 350F.

Then, I added more oil when I cooked the eggs, but they still stuck to the pan.

I tried scrubbing with a wash cloth, a nylon brush, a nylon scrubby pad, and a steel wool soap pad, and they didn't even touch it. The only thing that seemed to work was scraping it with a butter knife, but, of course, I can't get it all off with the knife. I must have scrubbed for at least 20 minutes.

Of course, all that scrubbing scratched the seasoning off fairly easily, so now the pan is gray except where the egg is stuck on.

Does anyone have any advice for getting my pan clean again? Should I make sure to get all the gunk off before I re-season it (I assume so)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you experienced mamas may have!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try putting salt in the pan and scrub.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
You have to make sure to add oil to your pan every time to coat it

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cast Iron Pan-Help Please!!!

Thanks, I'll have to try the salt thing! I did try baking soda, but I suppose salt would be a stronger abrasive? Can I just use table salt?

And Erica, I did add a small amount of oil to the pan before frying the eggs. Guess it wasn't enough?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Farafonov
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you should be able to add salt and oil to the pan and heat it up as if cooking it. When the salt starts to turn a little brown remove from heat. when it is cool enough for you to touch scrub it with a cloth. Hope this helps. Its what my grandma did when I was growing up.
Farafonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama
Thanks, I'll have to try the salt thing! I did try baking soda, but I suppose salt would be a stronger abrasive? Can I just use table salt?

And Erica, I did add a small amount of oil to the pan before frying the eggs. Guess it wasn't enough?
Yeah when it's new you have to add a bunch

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
photocat
Registered Users

You may to season it few times before you use it again. Oil it up and put in the oven on a low temp for......however long you can. I tend to put in after dinner and turn the oven off before I go to bed. And, you can leave it in the oven the next few times the oven gets used, too.

Check out what type of oil is good for seasoning it too, I use macadamia oil and I have a feeling I read some oils are better than others.

ETA: I can fry eggs in mine, but if I ever try to scramble them, they stick like crazy. I have now invested in a small, very expensive good quality non-stick type pan, which is only ever used for scrambling eggs at a low temp. Hubby knows NOT to use this pan for ANYTHING ELSE !

Last edited by photocat; 12-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post
You may to season it few times before you use it again. Oil it up and put in the oven on a low temp for......however long you can. I tend to put in after dinner and turn the oven off before I go to bed. And, you can leave it in the oven the next few times the oven gets used, too.

Check out what type of oil is good for seasoning it too, I use macadamia oil and I have a feeling I read some oils are better than others.

ETA: I can fry eggs in mine, but if I ever try to scramble them, they stick like crazy. I have now invested in a small, very expensive good quality non-stick type pan, which is only ever used for scrambling eggs at a low temp. Hubby knows NOT to use this pan for ANYTHING ELSE !
Thanks for the tip on scrambled eggs. These were just fried eggs, though, but I did break the yolks so they would cook quicker. Actually, the messiest spot on the pan is from the egg that I cracked before the pan was hot enough to cook it, so it sat raw on the pan for a couple minutes before it started turning white.

As far as seasoning oil goes, most of the sites I saw talked about using crisco or cooking spray, neither of which I can use because my son has a soy intolerance. So I just used what I had. He also has an egg intolerance, which is why I NEED to get the egg residue off (These eggs were for hubby).
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
ekeith28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if this'll help at all, but I water in my pan to clean it off. Then I can recoat it with veg. oil or bacon grease!

Get 150,000+ free online coupon codes, printable grocery coupons, restaurant coupons, cash back and more at ShopAtHome.com!
ekeith28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use an oiled crocheted acrylic scrubbie to clean ours.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote