Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama
Yes, it is a Lodge. I actually have it in the oven right now for another re-seasoning. I can't wait until it's well seasoned!
Good luck! They are the best thing in the world to cook in once they are seasoned well!

Advertisement

CadencesMommy92010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cast Iron Pan-Help Please!!!

I think someone already said but the best way to season is just to cook fatty meats in it...bacon, sausage..I have a skillet I oiled and then put it in the oven it it made this weird coating I had to burn off..it sucked
Bonnie. Christian, homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-circumcising, breast feeding, baby wearing, home cooking, granola-type wife to my amazing (hard working, awesome father) husband Brian, mommy to 6 crazy cool kids, B 3-98, A 9-00, J 4-02, P 4-04, Lil A 2-07,Lil P 7-10 and one sweet peanut due 3-12.
My poor neglected blog: www.suburbangranola.com
Suburbangranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
Duckduckfish
Registered Users
seller

So I know I am not the OP, but thanks for all the great tips! I have a cast iron skillet that I got in August and hate using the thing. I've actually hidden it from hubby. He is always wanting me to use it to cook cornbread and biscuits in it and I HATE DOING THAT! The cleanup is horrible. Now I know why...even though it's preseasoned, it needs more bacon cooked in it before we can start using it for other things. Maybe I can bring it out of hiding now...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckduckfish
So I know I am not the OP, but thanks for all the great tips! I have a cast iron skillet that I got in August and hate using the thing. I've actually hidden it from hubby. He is always wanting me to use it to cook cornbread and biscuits in it and I HATE DOING THAT! The cleanup is horrible. Now I know why...even though it's preseasoned, it needs more bacon cooked in it before we can start using it for other things. Maybe I can bring it out of hiding now...
I make cornbread and biscuits all the time...just buy some crisco(meat fat) and put a healthy(ain't nothing healthy about crisco, lol) coating in the skillet, and then it's ready to bake in! I cannot stress enough how important it is not to use soap in your skillet though!!!! If you do you will have to re-season it every time you want to use it. Simply wipe it and rinse it!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
Duckduckfish
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadencesMommy92010 View Post
I make cornbread and biscuits all the time...just buy some crisco(meat fat) and put a healthy(ain't nothing healthy about crisco, lol) coating in the skillet, and then it's ready to bake in! I cannot stress enough how important it is not to use soap in your skillet though!!!! If you do you will have to re-season it every time you want to use it. Simply wipe it and rinse it!
Yes. That's actually what I've been doing. I have to reseason it every single time we eat cornbread....which is probably at least once a week. lol
I did just buy some Crisco today so I'll give it a go tomorrow with the buttermilk biscuits..yummmm....

And I just have to say Hi, neighbor! (Not close, close neighbors, but hey, we prolly are an hour or so apart? that's cool!)
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckduckfish

Yes. That's actually what I've been doing. I have to reseason it every single time we eat cornbread....which is probably at least once a week. lol
I did just buy some Crisco today so I'll give it a go tomorrow with the buttermilk biscuits..yummmm....

And I just have to say Hi, neighbor! (Not close, close neighbors, but hey, we prolly are an hour or so apart? that's cool!)
You will notice a HUGE difference! The bottoms of your biscuits will be crisp, while the rest is just as soft as can be!! Num num!

Howdy neighbor! Where do you live in Louisana? I am about 5 minutes from the bridge...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Buttermilk biscuits... Drool!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Haven't read all of the replies, but the pan should start to steam/smoke before you put the eggs in. Then, reduce the heat. It has to be hot enough do it starts to cook right away and not stick. I've only ever used cast iron. And butter works better than olive oil for seasoning as oils tend to go rancid. Use butter each time (seasons it), let it smoke, put in food, reduce heat, there u go.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Those with the sticking issues be patient. There is a breaking in period even with preseasoned pans. If you keep up with it you will end up with a nicely seasoned pan. The cornbread is unbelievable.

For cornbread try this and see if this makes a difference: heat up your butter,grease whatever you are using a few minutes in the preheated oven take it out and sprinkle a bit of cornmeal in the bottom of the pan then put the batter in the skillet and bake.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
WoodSprite
Registered Users
Formerly: TangerineFlamingo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadencesMommy92010 View Post
I collect cast iron...is your skillet the heavy duty kind like Lodge brand? The best way to season a cast iron skillet is with meat fat(grease) Never ever ever use soap in a seasoned skillet! If you need to get a really good cleaning(if it gets rusty or built up) build a fire in the fireplace or outside with the skillet at the bottom of the fire. Wait until the fire is completely gone and cool and then take it out. It will need to be re-seasoned. You may have to get all the enamel off the skillet before using it again, but I have never had a enameled skillet.

The best piece of cast iron I have is a 200 year old water kettle. It is in perfect condition! My hubby works at the scrap yard and got it for me for like $3.00!

You can also bake them in the oven on a 3 hour or more "clean" cycle, it will burn off all the leftover residue from previous cookings and leave you with a naked skillet which you can re-season. I will them rub them in oil and bake in the oven (turned upside down) on 250 for 3-4 hours. Love my cast iron!
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote