Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
?s about making a fitted diaper

I'm wanting to venture into making my own fitteds.... And I have a couple of questions....

I've seen the stuffable pocket fitted pattern... And I know I could just sewn in a soaker and close up the back... but is there a pattern out there that doesn't have such loooong wings? Or are the long wings a good thing?

I hate pins... So.... what types of fabrics would make a diaper snappiable?

I have an old velour jacket I no longer wear.... Is this the same kind of fabric that is used as a velour inner? Is it used just for the softness?

THANKS!

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: ?s about making a fitted diaper

1. yes you could make that pattern without a pocket, but I wouldn't' sew in an internal soaker. It would take FOREVER To dry! Alternatively you could make a long snake soaker or a couple shorter ones to stack and sew them in on one end..... the would still flap freely in the washer/dryer.

2. Long wings are helpful if your little baby grows into a chubby toddler. Otherwise, you can shorten the wings as much as you like.

3. Knits are snappiable to various degrees. IMO, a waffle knit or rib knit is the MOST grabby. Some terry is snappiable too. WOVEN fabircs (like flannel) will be the least likely to take a sanppi.

4. If the velour is at least 80% cotton - yup, that's it. If it is a 100% poly velour, you'll have to test it for wickability. (pour some water on it and see if it goes through). It may be an efficient stay-dry layer if moisture wicks through (kind of like minky). Cotton velour is not stay-dry, its just soft & washes really well.

Unique hand-dyed diapers and more.
bcarroll9494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll9494 View Post
1. yes you could make that pattern without a pocket, but I wouldn't' sew in an internal soaker. It would take FOREVER To dry! Alternatively you could make a long snake soaker or a couple shorter ones to stack and sew them in on one end..... the would still flap freely in the washer/dryer.2. Long wings are helpful if your little baby grows into a chubby toddler. Otherwise, you can shorten the wings as much as you like.

3. Knits are snappiable to various degrees. IMO, a waffle knit or rib knit is the MOST grabby. Some terry is snappiable too. WOVEN fabircs (like flannel) will be the least likely to take a sanppi.

4. If the velour is at least 80% cotton - yup, that's it. If it is a 100% poly velour, you'll have to test it for wickability. (pour some water on it and see if it goes through). It may be an efficient stay-dry layer if moisture wicks through (kind of like minky). Cotton velour is not stay-dry, its just soft & washes really well.
Thanks for all the info! When it comes to the insert, do you mean somewhat like a totbots pocket? If this is the case though, why are all fitteds not made this way? Is there a secret to sewing the soaker into it?

My ISO/IHA!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommie View Post
Thanks for all the info! When it comes to the insert, do you mean somewhat like a totbots pocket? If this is the case though, why are all fitteds not made this way? Is there a secret to sewing the soaker into it?
The totbot idea is a neat design, I love how it unstuffs itself in the wash. If you have one, you could try some reverse engineering.
But no - I was thinking a less complicated idea. Many fitteds use snaps to attach the soakers. If you don't have access to snaps, you can just sew them in to the back on one end.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Try the Little Green Bear free pattern, it's two sizes. You could make it a pocket, AI2, or all in one with quick dry soakers. I like the shape & rounded wings. I've even made fleece covers out of this pattern. I'm pretty cheap with my fitteds, I use a cute outer woven or flannel & inside flannel then cut fleece liners to go on top.
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Hippy Hippy Snap has short wings that snap more on the hips rather than in the front. And the fattycakes is a front snapping diaper so the wings are different. One benefit to shorter wings is you get more cuts out of your yardage and can use narrower diaper cuts.

http://doddlebee.com/patterns.htm
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the Hippy Hippy Snap pattern because it is trim and uses a lot less fabric. But if you want to snappi a diaper, it's not a pattern you'd want to use. The wings are very short and it snaps at the hips. Diapers with longer wings allow the diaper to fit a larger waist range and for it to snappi easier. I can't see how the HHS would snappi easily and not come undone. What you could do to save fabric is "cut" the wings off of a pattern you like and "piece" them back on, similar to embellishing.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
coveredcaboose
Registered Users

My Mood:

That jacket may be woven, it will work, but you wont have the stretch, check that out first. Check the content label as well. Just to be sure it is cotton.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, everyone, for your input!! I truly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll9494 View Post
The totbot idea is a neat design, I love how it unstuffs itself in the wash. If you have one, you could try some reverse engineering.
But no - I was thinking a less complicated idea. Many fitteds use snaps to attach the soakers. If you don't have access to snaps, you can just sew them in to the back on one end.
I gotcha! I know exactly what you mean! Sorry for the blonde moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredcaboose View Post
That jacket may be woven, it will work, but you wont have the stretch, check that out first. Check the content label as well. Just to be sure it is cotton.
It's 80%cotton/20%poly... Will this still work as a stay dry layer? Or does it need to be 100%cotton?

My ISO/IHA!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
It's 80%cotton/20%poly... Will this still work as a stay dry layer? Or does it need to be 100%cotton?
No 80/20 is not going to be stay dry (no natural fiber will be). Its just really soft and it will hold up to washes pretty well.
If you prefer stay dry - you need a 100% synthetic fabric (like fleece, suedecloth, or that wicking jersey stuff).

Last edited by bcarroll9494; 01-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.