Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 1977 BF on sesame street :)

love it

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu View Post
Wow - it's surprising to see that - I know BF was actually a lot less encouraged back then. I was born in 1979, and my mom nursed me for 15 months, but knew VERY few people who nursed and she met with a lot of resistance. DH's mom was forced by doctors to stop with her oldest 2 (born in '76 and '78, I think) - she was told with the '76 baby that she would never make enough milk, because he was over 10 lbs.

I digress, though.... really awesome video, and I'd love to see it air these days!! I can't recall seeing a woman nursing on any TV show, ever, now that I think about it! (I don't watch a ton of TV though)
There were manhy episodes of roseanne in the mid 90s that showed jackie nursing her baby. always loved those!

But yeah, nursing was so not popular amongst normal groups in the 70s...usually just hippies.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

That is AWESOME!!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lucy lawless also nursed her LO on xena warrior princess in the 90's. It was a huge deal, I remember my mom was in awe of her after that!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

There were manhy episodes of roseanne in the mid 90s that showed jackie nursing her baby. always loved those!

But yeah, nursing was so not popular amongst normal groups in the 70s...usually just hippies.
Lol. My mom was not a hippie at all. Very suburban mainstream. Luckily she had a friend who had nursed her daughters. My mom said nursing was pretty uncommon and the friend helped her a lot. Also my grandma (mom's mom) had nursed in the 1930's and 40's.
My mom nursed me 10 months and my sister 14 months, in '77-78 and '81-82. She said we both weaned during the summer when it was too sweaty and hot. No a/c! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by aept; 01-02-2012 at 02:22 AM.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
tazzae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Those clips are awesome!

My mom nursed me for four years 77-81, and my brother for 2 1/2 years before I was born. She wasn't a hippy at all (but did live very close to San Francisco/Berkeley so maybe had more exposure?).
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
beci24
Registered Users
seller
seller

Very nice too bad it's so terrible these days and can't be aired. If all kids were taught early on they wouldn't think anything of it, like it should be.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is a petition to bring breastfeeding back to SS.please take a few minutes to sign it. and

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/bri...sesame-street/
Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish more kids would see this. My 6 year old has watched me nurse my almost 7 month old for about 4 months ( I EP'd due to prematurity for the first 2 and a half months) and he was very inquisitive at first and now it's just like second nature. Wish it was like that for all kids.
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
momtoGcubed
Registered Users
Formerly: momtoGsquared
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu View Post
Wow - it's surprising to see that - I know BF was actually a lot less encouraged back then. I was born in 1979, and my mom nursed me for 15 months, but knew VERY few people who nursed and she met with a lot of resistance. DH's mom was forced by doctors to stop with her oldest 2 (born in '76 and '78, I think) - she was told with the '76 baby that she would never make enough milk, because he was over 10 lbs.

I digress, though.... really awesome video, and I'd love to see it air these days!! I can't recall seeing a woman nursing on any TV show, ever, now that I think about it! (I don't watch a ton of TV though)
My mom gave birth to my brother in 1970 at an Army hospital. There was one breastfeeding mother in the whole ward and they put her in a dark corner behind curtains and basically ignored her.
momtoGcubed is offline   Reply With Quote