Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I crazy......?

I understand where your coming from, I work a pretty flexible schedule(12 hour shifts, 7pm-7am) I work 2-3 nights a week and can pretty much choose. I've thought a 9-5 would be nice, but then I realize theres no flexibility. What if my DS has appointments? If I get off at 5 and we have any evening plans we are eating on the go and kist get home in time for bed? It's a tough decision but I'd stay where I am.

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyria2 View Post
I'm gonna be a little different and say that if you think it will make you happier it wouldn't hurt to apply for the job and just see what happens. You might go on the interview and hate it or it might be your dream job, or you don't get the job and you're no worse off than you are now. Your current schedule sounds great but everyone is different and what works for one might not work for another. I'm generally of the opinion that opportunities should always be explored. For me, I don't like having the "what ifs" in the back of my mind.
We must have been typing at the same time. This is kind of where I am. I do have a great schedule but I also have all these "what-ifs" in the back of my mind as well. I was working on my resume last night and I'm just going to apply and see what happens. Like you said, I will not be any worse off if I don't get the job or choose not to take it.

Quote:
I understand where your coming from, I work a pretty flexible schedule(12 hour shifts, 7pm-7am) I work 2-3 nights a week and can pretty much choose. I've thought a 9-5 would be nice, but then I realize theres no flexibility. What if my DS has appointments? If I get off at 5 and we have any evening plans we are eating on the go and kist get home in time for bed? It's a tough decision but I'd stay where I am.
DH has this type of schedule, but it changes and rotates. He'll do 6a-6p for two days, be off for two days, 6p-6am for 3 days if it hits a weekend, off for two days, etc. So he ends up having 3 day weekends usually twice a month. I'm mulling over in my head if that is enough of an offset if I were to get a 9-5 (or 8-4:30 etc) for appointments and things of that nature.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Last edited by marvelous; 01-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd at least apply for the other job...there's no commitment in looking at your options. Yes, a 9-5 would give you less flexibility w/ your kids, but would the 50% raise allow you to afford, say, a weekly housekeeping service or an in-home nanny for the kids? To me, those might be worthwhile trade-offs for a job you [might? probably would?] enjoy more; then you're not trying to jam in cooking, cleaning, bathing, & enjoying your kids after work, or they're getting some good individual attention during the day in their own home...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
crunch!910
Registered Users

Me personally, enjoying my work is very, very important to me. If I didn't enjoy my job, but had the possibility to get into a job that I would enjoy that even paid more, I'd take it in a heartbeat! If I am going to be working out of the home, I want to at least have a passion for what I do. I'm extremely blessed to have such a job, and I wouldn't trade it for a higher paying job in a field I didn't enjoy, even though we are financially struggling and so long as DH cannot work we'll need assistance to get by.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I'd at least apply for the other job...there's no commitment in looking at your options. Yes, a 9-5 would give you less flexibility w/ your kids, but would the 50% raise allow you to afford, say, a weekly housekeeping service or an in-home nanny for the kids? To me, those might be worthwhile trade-offs for a job you [might? probably would?] enjoy more; then you're not trying to jam in cooking, cleaning, bathing, & enjoying your kids after work, or they're getting some good individual attention during the day in their own home...
Hmmm....some great things to think about if indeed the salary is that much more. Hiring out some of those things would definitely lessen the pressure for getting in family time in the evenings.

Quote:
Me personally, enjoying my work is very, very important to me. If I didn't enjoy my job, but had the possibility to get into a job that I would enjoy that even paid more, I'd take it in a heartbeat! If I am going to be working out of the home, I want to at least have a passion for what I do. I'm extremely blessed to have such a job, and I wouldn't trade it for a higher paying job in a field I didn't enjoy, even though we are financially struggling and so long as DH cannot work we'll need assistance to get by.
That resonates with me so much. I enjoy the people I work with, but there are many aspects of my job that I don't enjoy anymore. I've been looking for something that I have a passion for, but at this point, I'd settle for something I at least enjoy with a higher pay. But again, the time away from my family would be a huge perk to give up and it would definitely have to be worth it. Just curious, what is your job since you enjoy it so much?

Still working on my resume. My goal is to submit it by the end of this week. We'll see!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I'd apply too. Just to see what it may be like. I would make a terrible teacher though, so even with summers off, the job doesn't sound appealing to me.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
5280Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could not do a job that I didn't love. I learned when dd was an infant that if I was going to make the choice to work, it would have to be something that I really wanted to do. I am very lucky that even though my job is what most people would label 9-5 it is really anything but that. I have a great boss and a work environment that allows me to flex my schedule, occasionally work at home and is otherwise pretty fluid - I probably don't have as much flexibility as teaching at the college level (funny, but most people I know who do teach do it in the evenings and work full time during the day - so I've never really thought about the flexibility aspect) but I do have a great deal more then most people would suppose.

I would agree with those who say you should apply - during that process take some time to interview them and learn about the organization's culture - you might find that you will be giving up less than you thought.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
amgermain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's funny; I decided not to teach while I was working on my teaching degree in college. I know I'd hate the job, but now that I have a family I so wish I had that flexible schedule and could be at home with my kids on vacations and during the summer.

Mommy to Addi (8/13/08) and Abby (11/17/10)
amgermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you don't love it, I say YES, look for something that makes you happier. Teaching is a tough gig, and when you just aren't into it, it's miserable for you and your students. They can totally tell when a teacher doesn't really love what s/he is doing. Go for it mama!
cobbermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Nemmzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From post #10 it sounds like you have made up your mind already. If your not happy in your job and then bennifits are not crazy good there is no reason not to seek new employment. If you feel like your doing the same thing over and over then it's time to revamp your curricula and seek out new info on your subject. The side effect of being enthusiastic about teaching is one automatically does that because you are naturaly interested in what you are doing. Enthusiastic instructors tend not to be board much because they are naturally spicing up their work environments. If you don't get that from your work time to move on.
You don't want to be that bitter, bad, boring instructor a few years down the road. Disinterest and resentment don't go away they grow unless you make a change. It is foolish to hang on to a job just for the schedule. There are a world of opportunities out there ppl just don't see them.

GL I hope you find what makes you happy.

Last edited by Nemmzie; 01-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Nemmzie is offline   Reply With Quote