Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I crazy......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbermama View Post
If you don't love it, I say YES, look for something that makes you happier. Teaching is a tough gig, and when you just aren't into it, it's miserable for you and your students. They can totally tell when a teacher doesn't really love what s/he is doing. Go for it mama!
I agree with this about less-than-enthusiastic teachers, but somehow I can "turn it on" in the class room. It's ironic to me that a lot of my teacher evaluation comments from students will say something to the effect, "She has such a passion...." I do enjoy moments in the classroom and I'm not completely miserable, it's just not my passion.

Anyway, I applied for the other job and I'm just waiting to hear. I'm sort of in the middle at this point. If I get an interview, great, if not, that's okay too. I still feel blessed to have the job I have. Reading up on the potential new company, it was refreshing to know that they have a 37.5 work week. Maybe the hours wouldn't be so bad. We'll see!!

Thanks again ladies, for all of your comments, suggestions and encouragement. It gave a lot of comfort to this working mama of two.

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
crunch!910
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous View Post
Just curious, what is your job since you enjoy it so much?
I work in a dog grooming salon.

As a child, I grew up with a cocker spaniel I always groomed myself since I was 10 years old, clippers, scissoring and all! I was in 4-H and competed in adult dog competitive sports. I have quite the background and skill in both dog training and dog grooming. Right now my focus is providing for my family luckily in a job I love, but eventually I'll jump right in with my twin sister in her dog training business. She is a certified professional dog trainer, and I expect in 5 years time I'll be grooming by day and instructing dog training classes a few times a week in evenings and dog rescuing on the weekends as a team with my sister! I'm not going to get rich off either career, and that's okay with me!

I'm glad you decided to at least apply. Goodluck! And I hope whatever comes your way, it brings you more joy in the workplace!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I work in a dog grooming salon.

As a child, I grew up with a cocker spaniel I always groomed myself since I was 10 years old, clippers, scissoring and all! I was in 4-H and competed in adult dog competitive sports. I have quite the background and skill in both dog training and dog grooming. Right now my focus is providing for my family luckily in a job I love, but eventually I'll jump right in with my twin sister in her dog training business. She is a certified professional dog trainer, and I expect in 5 years time I'll be grooming by day and instructing dog training classes a few times a week in evenings and dog rescuing on the weekends as a team with my sister! I'm not going to get rich off either career, and that's okay with me!

I'm glad you decided to at least apply. Goodluck! And I hope whatever comes your way, it brings you more joy in the workplace!
That is so cool! I am not an animal lover (not a hater either!), but I think it is fantastic that you can take something that you are obviously so passionate about and make a living from it. I would have no problem not making a ton of money if I could do that! I wish you the best as well!

Last edited by marvelous; 01-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmzie View Post
From post #10 it sounds like you have made up your mind already. If your not happy in your job and then bennifits are not crazy good there is no reason not to seek new employment. If you feel like your doing the same thing over and over then it's time to revamp your curricula and seek out new info on your subject. The side effect of being enthusiastic about teaching is one automatically does that because you are naturaly interested in what you are doing. Enthusiastic instructors tend not to be board much because they are naturally spicing up their work environments. If you don't get that from your work time to move on.
You don't want to be that bitter, bad, boring instructor a few years down the road. Disinterest and resentment don't go away they grow unless you make a change. It is foolish to hang on to a job just for the schedule. There are a world of opportunities out there ppl just don't see them.

GL I hope you find what makes you happy.
Even though I'm looking at this other job, I've tried to do this, and I sort of have a renewed energy this semester. Still keeping my options open, but this has helped.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an interview this Friday!!! I still have very mixed feelings about the whole thing (stay vs. leaving) but at least I'll be able to make an informed decision. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
JessieIce
Registered Users

Congrats on your interview. For what it is worth at this late date, while working on my PhD I was an instructor of college courses at the University. I did not enjoy teaching but I thought summers off and the autonomy would make it worth it, particularly with kids. I have an 18 month old and just had another baby in October. Last year, while pregnant and on a whim, I applied for a "9-5" type job, was offered it, and went to work at my new job 8 months pregnant. Hands-down the best decision for me and my family. Turns out loving your job makes up for summers off.
JessieIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieIce View Post
Congrats on your interview. For what it is worth at this late date, while working on my PhD I was an instructor of college courses at the University. I did not enjoy teaching but I thought summers off and the autonomy would make it worth it, particularly with kids. I have an 18 month old and just had another baby in October. Last year, while pregnant and on a whim, I applied for a "9-5" type job, was offered it, and went to work at my new job 8 months pregnant. Hands-down the best decision for me and my family. Turns out loving your job makes up for summers off.
Your comment is worth A LOT! Thanks for sharing.

ETA: Now I'm totally curious what type of job you have. I am always intrigued by those that find a perfect fit.

Last edited by marvelous; 01-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
jaxoncasemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably go. This is because I just jumped two feet into the unknown waters today. That's right its my last week of work,unless I finish up the payperiod. Hello sahm! But its exciting and scary, while I'm not changing jobs its still scary because ill be in a new town not making income, I have a control issue when it comes to money. So at the end of the day do what feels best for you
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So you are finally leaving???!!! Even though I've known, seems so....final. Wow. Just when I got you all hooked on fluff, lol! Wish you all the best and congrats!!

Well, I haven't heard anything yet so I'm just gonna keep doing a good job where I am. I am not good with uncertainty, but it is not in my hands, so that is all I can do. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Ladyflower
Registered Users

I've never had a job that I've "loved." I would stay with a job I didn't love just to have premium hours/benefits. I've been at my current job going on 9 years now and the only thing I like is getting out at 4pm every day. I could try to find another job, but I won't work any later. As it is I leave work and pick up my oldest ds from latchkey and then go over to daycare to pick up my little guy. We're home by 5pm and then it's a circus of tending to pets, making dinner, cleaning the kitchen, doing homework, getting baths and the kids ready for bed, cleaning up the neverending tornado of toys, doing laundry, etc. The kids are generally in bed 7:30-8pm and dh gets home somewhere around then too. I'm lucky if I get a little bit of time (hopefully after I've made the house appear "decent") to watch tv or read my kindle before it's off to bed 10-11pm. 5:30am the next morning the chaos starts all over again.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote