Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

WOW, Sewing pul is hard :)

So, I gave some pul a try awhile back and it was not friendly with my machine. Tonight I decided that I was oging ot have a sewing night, an dI got some new pul tonight. I found a great trick for making sewing pul so much easier and wanted ot share iwth anyone else that was having some trouble with it sticking to the presser plate/foot. I put some baby powder on the laminate side, it ran through SO easy!!! Obviously just a dusting, siped it off afterwards, gave my machine a good spritz of canned air to keep the powder out of it, and it seemed to be a great solution.

Course, if anyone knows why this owuld be a REAL bad idea, please let me know. And if this is an obvious solution, excuse my pul stupidity

Advertisement

jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOW, Sewing pul is hard :)

Are you using a walking foot?

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

no, would that be better? I thought about it, but figured that since the issue was the stickiness, that it would wtill stick even though it was walking instead of dragging. Ugh, this pul thing is killing me
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMTo2
Are you using a walking foot?

If you dont have one I would REALLY suggest getting one. Mine was kind of expensive but, I hardly ever take it off my machine. (it came off today because I was doing embroidery though) I absolutly LOVE my walking foot! WELL worth the $$!!!!!

Unstead of the baby powder( which I wouldnt do because its going to get inside your machine and suck up the oil on your moving parts) is I would get tissue paper and put it on the shiny side. After you are done sewing just rip the tissue paper away. I have never tried it, but I have heard it works and I would do that unstead of baby powder!

As I said before that baby powder is going to get into your machine and soak up the oil on the moving parts. The parts I am talking about are the parts you cant get to and you would have to take your machine in to be serviced. Not to mention the damage that COULD be done between the oil being sucked up and the time you take it in. BUT, doing it once may not hurt it at all...I just wouldnt do it anymore.

Make sure to listen to your machine and maybe every little while turn your hand crank to make sure its still gliding right. If your machine seems stiffer than normal or if it starts to squeek or make funky rubbing sounds get it in to be serviced.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Bare Bottom Gear
seller

My Mood:

Yes, USE THE WALKING FOOT!!! LOL I sewed PUL for the first time and it was EASY!!

No. 9 sized needle, 100% polyester thread, walking foot for PUL sewing!!

ETA: When using a walking foot slow your speed down. You cannot go fast w/ a walking foot. Slow to medium speed is recommended.

Also, the needle size and thread are vital so that your PUL won't leak. After sewing wash on hot and dry on hot to seal all the holes in the PUL up.

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 06-10-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Oh really, i am such a dope. Actually, I was REAL careful with the powder cuz I am crazy about keeping my machine well oiled and cleaned and maintained. I do have a walking foot, and thought about it for about 3 seconds but was just being too lazy to get up and get it, I guess lol Okay, off to make another dipe I don't need just to try it
Old 06-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMTo2
Also, the needle size and thread are vital so that your PUL won't leak. After sewing wash on hot and dry on hot to seal all the holes in the PUL up.
Those things i knew, but thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Bare Bottom Gear
seller

My Mood:

Once you use that walking foot you'll see how easy it works! I did a huge wetbag and it was so easy! I had heard horror stories so I did a ton of old post reading and found lots of tips that way.

Any time I'm about to start a project I come here and read! The old DS board has LOTS of info in the craft section too. You may go there every now and again for ideas, tips, etc.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

why polyester thread instead of cotton?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
momof2inohio
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can answer that!

Cotton thread will pull the pee from the dipe, into itself and out of the dipe, onto your babe's clothing!

I have basic sewing skills and have only been making my own dipes for a few months. You ladies are so helpful.

momof2inohio is offline   Reply With Quote