Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
23mo won't poo in potty????

We've been pting for about a month. She doesn't wear diapers, only underwear, and she is great for #1s. She has some accidents but as long as we remind her or take her to potty before we go somewhere we are pretty dry, even overnight. However, #2 is a different story. She has gone on the potty a couple of times, but mostly when i was sitting her on there and she went probably incidentally. She didn't freak out or anything, and seemed happy she had done a poo in the potty. We use a small potty chair, and sometimes a soft potty seat that goes over the big toilet, she has no problem sitting on either. The problem is that for a month she has been going #2 in her underwear twice a day. She doesn't seem to care that she does it in there, and she won't take herself to the toilet. She will always tell us as soon as she has done it and then pull her underwear off (often resulting in a gross mess). I've tried to watch her cues and take her to the toilet when I think she needs to #2. But sh will sit there for half an hour with nothing productive, and then 10 minutes later do it in her pants. I have two other children (one is 2 months) so i can't be focusing on her all day long. She won't go back in diapers (and she pulls them off anyway if she does a #1 or #2 in them so it's really not that much different than changing underwear). She understands that she is supposed to use the potty, but she just doesn't care if she does it in her pants. What can I do?? I've tried bribing with jellybeans but so far that hasn't worked.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: 23mo won't poo in potty????

Try having her go naked, or have her clean up her own mess (as much as she is able). Only things I can think of that might help there.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Poo is hard. My barely 4 year old just did it for the first time the other day. Before that she would ask for a diaper instead of underwear. So she knew she needed to poo, but literally refused to use the toilet. So don't be too surprised if it takes a lot longer for the poo
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
Poo is hard. My barely 4 year old just did it for the first time the other day. Before that she would ask for a diaper instead of underwear. So she knew she needed to poo, but literally refused to use the toilet. So don't be too surprised if it takes a lot longer for the poo
:-( It would be easier if she would wear a diaper, or at least not pull a diaper or underwear off when she goes since I'm not always watching. My ODD pt'd herself at 23 months, and poo was easier for her, she actually hated having a poo in her pants and would freak out if she had a #2 accident. I know all kids are different... sigh. I'm going to try naked time I think.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste
This is my dd exactly. For some reason pooping on the potty really scares her. If we refuse to put a diaper on her she will hold it, which is not healthy. I wish I could give some advice
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
This was us too. DS was over 3.5 years before pooping in the potty. He didnt' pee in the potty until he was 3.

My advise would be to not pressure her. She will when she is ready.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
RobertK
Registered Users
seller

Our daughter was like this. #1 was easy going from diaper to underwear. She practically PT'd herself for nighttime. But when it came to #2 she would always go in her underwear. It lasted, horribly, maybe 2 months and then she came around. I think it's a "stick with it" thing and it will fix itself.
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
magoose
Registered Users

DS was like this too. He was really great (eventually) with peeing on the potty, but not so much with poops. For about two months we were dealing with poopy pants EVERY.DAY. It wasn't fun and was very frustrating, but we just kept at it, kept cleaning up messes and kept reminding him that poop goes in the potty. He has some GI issues so the poops were always messy and gross, usually resulting in a bath afterwards. After dealing with this for months, he eventually just came around and would ask to go to the potty and would just poop. We didn't do anything different, he eventually just got it. I think once he got used to peeing on the potty and letting us know he had to go, he eventually got the pooping down. As frustrating as it is, keep with it. She'll get it eventually.