Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
katymf
Registered Users
seller

Anyone ever thought of "overdue" babies thread?

I know this isnt the place to write this but I have never seen "overdue baby" thread. I had an overdue baby at 41and1/2 weeks, weighing 10lbs 13oz, 22and1/4 long. He ha developed fine minus I don't think he is wee going crawl he likes to scoot on his butt. He is 7mo now. It also took him a while to gain head control not until about 2and1/2 to 3mo... At least I thought it took a while..he also doesn't like being on his tummy. Instead of putting his arms under his chest and propping himself up to look around he lays on his belly, has his arms spread to the side and wiggles like a fish. His body is very tense and he fussies while on his belly. He sits up perfectly fine and can stand on his own two feet with the help of someone holding onto his hands. Now I know this stuff probably has nothing to do with him being overdue or so big at birth and i know some people might think that he did everything at the right time, but I just wanted to put all that out there. He has been evaluated so many times by different doctors and all said he has done exceptionally. They thought he had torticollis so the 1st few months of life he was in and out of doctors. Anyone else with overdue, big babies? How are they developing? There isn't a thread for overdue babies is there? If so, whoops I've never seen it!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The average gestation for first time moms is 41 weeks, and technically babies aren't overdue until 42 weeks. Your babe is big, but otherwise totally in the normal range

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

My first was 40 weeks plus 23 days (43 weeks, 2 days). He wasn't too terribly big as he started shrinking. When he was born he was sort of skinny and looked deflated. Lol My placenta was pretty used up so they thought he was burning his own fat so they broke my water to get things moving as I had no labor at all prior. He's fine and has always been skinny. He grew into his skin after a few weeks and no longer look like an old balloon. Ha!

Last edited by lilylouhoo; 12-31-2011 at 02:45 PM.
lilylouhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All if my kids have been born at about 41 weeks except for my 2nd who was also my smallest at 8.5 lbs. The others were 8,14 9,2 & 9,6. They've ask developed normally. My largest didn't really roll over until about 6 months and then crawled & scooted for a month before cruising. I think your baby is perfectly normal.

Using my DS app, please excuse the lack of proofreading.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
jcogar1
Registered Users
seller

My ds was born at 41.5 weeks and is currently 5 weeks old now. Born 9 lbs 4 ounces (so not terribly big). Totally unrelated to his lengthy stay in the womb I'm guessing ...we've lived at the hospital it seems! Actually, I'm sitting here right now!

Guess my thought is babies will have issues/problems regardless of birth weight, overdue or not & how overdue, etc.

Now, we should def have an overdue mamas support threat after 40 weeks cause I totally needed support towards the end! Haha
jcogar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever thought of "overdue" babies thread?

It sounds like he is doing fine especially since he has been evaluated and they said he is doing good. 7 months is actually early for crawling so I wouldn't worry about that plus he is mobile since he does the butt scoot. The only thing that stood out was the fishy thing. It is fine to do that it is a stage many babies go through but they do need to lift of their arms more, and stop that move eventually. My dd also had torticollis and she was stuck on that move for a while but I can't even remember when she stopped doing it and if was something that should be done by 7 months but I think it is fine for that age since some babies sit themselves up and crawl later.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post sorry
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear
The average gestation for first time moms is 41 weeks, and technically babies aren't overdue until 42 weeks. Your babe is big, but otherwise totally in the normal range
Yeah that. And a term pregnancy is 37-42 weeks. So that is five weeks of normal.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He doesn't sound like he's really having issues, to me. DS wasn't even scooting or army crawling at that age, and he didn't have head control until about 2-3 months either. He sounds right on track
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I have 4 babies, all born b/w 41-42 wks. They all had normal development. Acutally, my most "overdue", at 42 wks exactly, has always been early with his physical development.
And your son sounds totally normal. My cousin has twins who are 11 mos- one is pulling up, almost walking, the other is just rolling. Both are normal.

my biggest baby was 9lb, 6oz and spent the 1st month of her life in the NICU and still her development was totally normal.

While I had 3 bigger babies, they did not stay big. I do think babies that are big for their age, you know the roly-poly babies, do seem to be a little slower to master physical milestones. I assume it is b/c they have a lot of weight to move.

Last edited by Nanner99; 01-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote