Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Wow, I think it's pretty shocking. I wouldn't even buy my kid a fake gun at that age.

Advertisement

loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

Nope, not shocked. We are looking at the kids sized gun for our two. They are 5 & 4
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow, I live in a different world.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not shocked either but I come from a gun family I guess. The child size guns that we have looked at have all been 22s so not the killing machine that you really think of when you hear the word gun. Also imo and only imo I know that my kids have been / will be shooting guns before they are of a good body size to handle a gun that is for adults so I prefer that they learn gun safety on a gun that is the correct size for them and their little hands and arms (actually safer if you think about it).
All that being said our kids and all our family teach gun safety and respect from the start and kids are in trouble if they point a toy gun / video game gun at ANY living creature.

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
DH totally wanted to get DD a pink Crickett for Christmas. But, it would not have been really for her. It would have been locked up in the safe with the rest and used with complete hands-on supervision.

However, we agreed to wait til next year.
My older two each have their own Crickett's. DS was 4 when he got his, ODD was 6, I think, or maybe had just turned 7. They were thrilled with them. DH takes them out shooting and they are turning into good shots.

However, before buying the guns for them, they got a very, very thorough lessoning in gun safety. They got drilled, too, so we knew they knew the correct answers and knew the why of the safety. So long as the gun safety is taught, I see no problem with a 4 yr old having a gun.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
nikkilynn
Registered Users
seller

Location: Glad to be back in th PNW :) Allyn Wa to be exact!!
My Mood:
Not shocked here either. We got Ds a cricket for his 6th birthday. We like the others not shocked are a gun family though. DH has 3 rifles and a hand gun plus ds's cricket. Dd will probably get a pink one sooner than Ds did.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

A gun-gun? Like for shooting things? Why? Why would a child need a gun? This is legal? Wha...

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's weird too. My DH is into guns and going to the shooting range and all that and thinks he is getting our DDs one at age 5 to take her to the range. I think that that's a ridiculous idea. He cleans his gun in front of her and talks to her all about gun safety in a way she can understand (and she does...she has a little nerf gun and tells me we don't touch daddys gun all the time when she holds hers) but still. I told him I thought 10 was a more appropriate age to take her to the range if he must. I don't get it. But guns make me uncomfortable and I hate them in our house so I guess that's part of it.

Fwiw my sister got my 6 year old nephew an air soft pistol for christmas and even that freaks me out. I've gotten shot with one in the leg in very close proximity before (as a teen when we were playing around and being dumb) and it hurt really bad!

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 01-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
5280Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not my choice, as we don't own guns. But we have friends that do and I would assume that they could potentially get their son one at this age - and would take appropriate safety precautions.

I'm sure we've given things to or done things with our kids that leave others scratching their head...I think it's all in what you are used to.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
nikkilynn
Registered Users
seller

Location: Glad to be back in th PNW :) Allyn Wa to be exact!!
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen
A gun-gun? Like for shooting things? Why? Why would a child need a gun? This is legal? Wha...

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
In some parts of the country it's just a way of life. We grow up in southern Missouri and going out shooting was just something we did. Seriously shooting a watermelon with a shotgun is completely awesome!! Also there are STRICT rules. For instance if Ds cannot give his undivided attention while DH helps him load his cricket, that's it he is done. No second chance. Same thing goes of he swings it around unload, DONE! Just tonight he was show my parents the gun and he thought he didn't point it high enough not to point it at them and apologized. When he actually had it high enough. Trust me there is a long list. And Ds follows gun rules better than house rules lol.