Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. My son is 5 and has some kind of obsession with guns and I wouldn't allow him to get anything like that yet.

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were just discussing this the other day. Our friend's daughter is about to turn 7 and her dad is looking at getting her a pink 22 so they can go out shooting together. DH thinks that maybe next year DD can have one too as she will be 4. We are a gun family and live in a gun friendly community. In fact I got a beautiful new 9mm for Christmas and got a 38 as a push present when I had DS. My brother's kids had guns at young ages and are now awesome hunters. We hunt for food not for sport but do all enjoy going out to the range to shoot some targets. Of course proper safety is a top priority and they get it at home and will also take the standard hunters safety course when old enough.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not worried about the gift. I am more worried if they are locking the guns up away from any children. The most dangerous weapon (IMHO) is a gun in the hands of an inexperienced person, whether they be 4 or 40.

In a lot of areas of the USA, this (gift giving/guns at a young age) is a common practice. My little brother used to go hunting alone for small game in upper elementary school and my big brother and I used to sit in the hay loft and pick off coyotes that were killing our goats with a .30-06. He was in high school and I was in middle school.

I got a .22 revolver for my 10th birthday. My dad taught gun safety to police recruits and he competed for many years. I was well versed on gun safety.

DS#1 is allowed to shoot in our presence. But he is not responsible enough with gun safety to do more than our .22 bolt action. He does have two bb/pellet rifles and a bb pistol that he can use with permission unsupervised. He is a dead shot.

Last edited by jc12551; 01-01-2012 at 09:21 PM.
jc12551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
I'm not worried about the gift. I am more worried if they are locking the guns up away from any children. The most dangerous weapon (IMHO) is a gun in the hands of an inexperienced person, whether they be 4 or 40.
this is a perfectly reasonable worry. Maybe you should just ask your brother how they lock their guns as if you are interested in something for your home? Not sure what kind of relationship you have with him. If your DS is there often maybe just be up front that he can't come over if all the guns aren't securely locked away.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow is all I can say.
misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #26
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have several guns, I enjoy shooting, I got my DH into into shooting and I have a license to carry a firearm, but I don't think I would buy a gun for a 4 year old. Perhaps I have a different perception of 4 year olds because my cousin seems like she might be on the hyper/immature side compared to others, but I think it's too young.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen
A gun-gun? Like for shooting things? Why? Why would a child need a gun? This is legal? Wha...

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
Why wouldn't it be legal? I highly doubt anyone is giving their child an assault rifle and turning them loose on the public.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethancjsmom View Post
Not shocked either but I come from a gun family I guess. The child size guns that we have looked at have all been 22s so not the killing machine that you really think of when you hear the word gun. Also imo and only imo I know that my kids have been / will be shooting guns before they are of a good body size to handle a gun that is for adults so I prefer that they learn gun safety on a gun that is the correct size for them and their little hands and arms (actually safer if you think about it).
All that being said our kids and all our family teach gun safety and respect from the start and kids are in trouble if they point a toy gun / video game gun at ANY living creature.
Okay here is where I get my concern from.. they have toy guns/nerf guns/etc (him and his cousins and generally our family) and they do shoot them at each other in fun

BUT how does four year old REALLY understand its okay to shoot cousin fred with the nerf gun but not with the 22

I guess its because I would not trust MY four year old to make that choice and he got his first TOY gun this year with all kinds of rules on what hes allowed to point at and ITS A TOY.

this is more a me thing and not a them thing. my SIL is a GREAT parent.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #29
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not shocked. I'm assuming he wants to introduce guns early so that they can eventually enjoy the sport together.

I went from a gun fearing city slicker to a rural gun toting mama. I have found the love but I can understand why it would be alarming to others.

Three of my kids have air rifles now. This from a mama that at one time refused to let my son have a water gun.

Although I have a very specific level of supervision and gun safety in mind.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Both my sons already have 22s. My Dh bought them each one shortly after birth. It is family tradition.
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote