Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #31
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post
Okay here is where I get my concern from.. they have toy guns/nerf guns/etc (him and his cousins and generally our family) and they do shoot them at each other in fun

BUT how does four year old REALLY understand its okay to shoot cousin fred with the nerf gun but not with the 22

I guess its because I would not trust MY four year old to make that choice and he got his first TOY gun this year with all kinds of rules on what hes allowed to point at and ITS A TOY.

this is more a me thing and not a them thing. my SIL is a GREAT parent.
I think that is a valid concern. In my house I do not allow anyone to point a toy gun at someone or to shoot it at a person or pet. Even my toddler has to follow this rule.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #32
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's certainly not something that *I'm* comfortable with, but to each their own.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

I think 4 is too young but that's just my opinion. Dh is a big gun guy and has already started talking about getting dd one. I said no. Not until we can afford a big safe (no keys, kids can find those things anywhere) and not until she is much, much older. I am afraid to handle a gun, I couldn't imagine giving one to my toddler.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07

Okay here is where I get my concern from.. they have toy guns/nerf guns/etc (him and his cousins and generally our family) and they do shoot them at each other in fun

BUT how does four year old REALLY understand its okay to shoot cousin fred with the nerf gun but not with the 22

I guess its because I would not trust MY four year old to make that choice and he got his first TOY gun this year with all kinds of rules on what hes allowed to point at and ITS A TOY.

Your concern is great I think for everyones safety. Our kids have nerf and do shoot each other with those. I didn't even think of it became in our home nerf is nerf and never receded to as a gun. I think its all in the parenting and his its taught. As a child how did you know not to shoot each other with the guns that your family had? You just didn't because that's what you were taught. It wasn't even a thought right?
Maybe you could open the conversation on how the guns are stored by asking if you could buy a gun lock for your nephew? Or saying that you looked into the gun lockes program available in the community ( some firehouse give them out to go homes with children in them ) I do think that you have every right to ask how he is storing the guns these days since you know how he stored them before he was married with kids.

As to others that hate guns. Guns do not kill, people use guns to kill. Proper training, safety and care is all that's needed. Do you lock up all kitchen utensils? Those are more deadly then an unloaded gun.

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #35
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethancjsmom

As to others that hate guns. Guns do not kill, people use guns to kill. Proper training, safety and care is all that's needed. Do you lock up all kitchen utensils? Those are more deadly then an unloaded gun.
I'm pretty sure people are giving their 4 year olds loaded guns, so your analogy doesn't work.
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #36
nikkilynn
Registered Users
seller

Location: Glad to be back in th PNW :) Allyn Wa to be exact!!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna View Post
I'm pretty sure people are giving their 4 year olds loaded guns, so your analogy doesn't work.
I don't think anyone said they are just handing their 4 year old (or 5,6) loaded guns! My son only gets to handle his gun loaded at a range under his fathers supervision. Other than that the ammo is locked up in a COMPLETELY different part of the house.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's so weird. If the family tradition is to shoot things, 4 is a perfectly acceptable age to teach responsible gun use. I assume they're not just letting him keep it in his toy box.

And I assume there are other, bigger guns already in that house.

Ditto, Idon't find it weird that they would think it was perfectly okay and normal to get a 4 year old a gun, if the family goes out hunting, etc,and I hate guns. lol DH has guns, he says for protection, but they are kind of a hobby. He doesn't hunt. But he will NEVER EVER buy our small child a gun. If say, our kids get into it as teenagers and want to go shooting with him at the range, are responsible, etc, we'll talk. but yeah. Most likely it will be something like a tattoo. When you're out of the house and 18, do what you want. lol

I have friends that go out on motorcycles and quads, and thier kids had thier own quads at a very young age, and there's no way I'd put my 3 or 4 year old on one, I find them dangerous. but if that's what you like to do, I don't see a problem. it's a family thing.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna

Anyone giving a 4 year old a loaded gun should have the brains enough to be responsible for the gun, ammo, and child. IF not yes the is tragedy soon to happen. Most who have posted on this thread have already stated about gun safety and that infers one of the top rules of NO gun is ever left loaded anywhere! Only load a gum if you are going to shot it. I don't even think the original poster was thinking that the child's gun would be loaded and left sitting around.
My point is that a gun is an object not something ti be hated. I hate people who don't follow gun safety, I hate people who use guns improperly, and I hate that collectors think the need to have assault weapons in their collection. Is its the guns fault no, it's the human behind it. Do we send the gun to prison for murder no we send the human that did the act.

And yes I totally agree that giving a 4 yr old a loaded gun to play with is a bad idea. But talking a 4 yr old out to shot and learn about gun safety is not. It's all in the teaching.

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #39
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post

That's a valid concern. DS1 and DS2 have nerf guns and whatnot, and they both know they are not allowed to point them at people - for the record, they are 4 and 2. Gun safety and proper usage is very important in our household, and part of that includes play guns, KWIM?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna View Post
They may be loaded (I mean, really, what's the point of an unloaded BB gun?), but I highly doubt people are just letting their kids play with them unsupervised. There is such a thing as responsible gun owners. And the vast majority of gun owners are responsible enough to know you don't give a 4 year old a loaded gun and then just walk away.