Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #41
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

I find that most people who are super duper against this kind of thing are the people who are scared of guns in general. Which I understand. It's the same concept as people who are against owning a pit bull because they have seen some bad stories and think they are all awful dogs. It's all in ownership and training. Like other posters have stated no one is giving a child a loaded weapon and saying "Have fun. I'll be in the kitchen." They are teaching them to use it as a tool just like you would a knife or a chainsaw (sorry that's all I could think of). It's especially important IMO to teach kids that guns are not to be feared but are to be respected at a young age. Guns are around everywhere especially around here and I would rather my kids know the proper use of them BEFORE they say see one laying out at their friends and want to play with it.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #42
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

It IS possible to teach young children gun safety. Heck, in generations past, 8 to 12 year old boys would be out finding dinner for their family by themselves. We are not that removed from generations where young ones handling weapons, serious farm machinery or large animals was the norm. I realize that this purchase would be shocking in some views but I think that many people might change their mind should they have full immersion in a family where this was acceptable and all members were taught respect and gun safety. I do not know any gun owning families where the children and teens are not fully supervised and all guns and weapons (other hunting weapons like bows) were not safely stored when not in use.

Last edited by doodah; 01-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote