Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Issue after tongue tie revision??

My son is almost 6 months old and had his upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie revised at 7 weeks. Since his surgery he has been unable to take a pacifier, or a bottle. Until we introduced a sippy cup it didn't seem like a big deal but he can't suck on a sippy cup either. He holds stuff in his mouth by using his gums, even when he breastfeeds. I've been back to see the IBCLC since with his.new teeth it can be painful at times, but mostly nursing him doesn't hurt. He can extend his tongue but he still has a hard time doing it. We were at a doctors appt and they seemed surprised that he chews on a pacifier even when he clearly wants to suck on it. The LC and the pediatrician seem puzzled. Is this normal that a six month old can't coordinate sucking?

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Issue after tongue tie revision??

You had it done by Dr. Kotlow, right? Maybe he can help. Good luck!
e_roehm23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm calling in the morning to see if Dr kotlow can take a look. Something just doesn't seem right.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please keep us posted. I am hoping to see a dr. in St. Louis sometime this month about dd's potential lip/ptt. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went back to Dr. Kotlow and he released the tongue and lip some more. I asked him to check his mouth again because we continue to struggle with the suck swallow breathe coordination and he was able to identify that DS has a submucosal cleft palette. It is slight but enough to cause issues swallowing. We saw a plastic surgeon who declared after a quick exam that there was a cleft but it couldn't cause issues since he is not FTT. He then told me Dr Kotlow had all but sold me snake oil since lip ties don't cause nursing issues and posterior tongue ties don't exist. We have an appt with an ENT since the plastic surgeon is a whack-a-doodle lol. We will most likely see a speech therapist for feeding therapy to help improve his oral motor function.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yes Mama, the plastic surgeon is absolutely incorrect. Tongue and lip ties can and do (for many mothers) cause problems with breastfeeding. You did the right thing by having them clipped. Good for you for looking into the issue further. I hope you get some answers Keep us updated!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
Yes Mama, the plastic surgeon is absolutely incorrect. Tongue and lip ties can and do (for many mothers) cause problems with breastfeeding. You did the right thing by having them clipped. Good for you for looking into the issue further. I hope you get some answers Keep us updated!
Lol I was disgusted by that plastic surgeon! This was our second revision because it partially reattached and he had grown so more tissue was accessible. That doctor had the nerve to tell me that the fact that DS ate all day long and caused me pain before his revision was just the burden of being a mother. I left.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW! Sometimes ignorance is really astounding!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_roehm23
WOW! Sometimes ignorance is really astounding!
It really is!! Hopefully the ENT will be able to help us.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic
We will most likely see a speech therapist for feeding therapy to help improve his oral motor function.
You will hopefully be able to get speech or occupational therapy through Early Intervention for free. Ask your pedi for a referral or call your county to get set up for an evaluation. (I am in the same state as you, so I know how it works in our state, other states may vary.) I am a physical therapist who works in early intervention. (Very part time, at this point in my life.)

Thank goodness you are nursing him, and have been able to go to Dr. Kotlow. He could have been having much bigger problems, nutritionally, if he can't do a bottle or sippy. Best wishes.
FYI, only one of my kids took a paci. The other 2 just chewed on them. It can just seem like a teething toy to them when they are EBF, at least that is what I figured.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote