Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Issue after tongue tie revision??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic View Post
We went back to Dr. Kotlow and he released the tongue and lip some more. I asked him to check his mouth again because we continue to struggle with the suck swallow breathe coordination and he was able to identify that DS has a submucosal cleft palette. It is slight but enough to cause issues swallowing. We saw a plastic surgeon who declared after a quick exam that there was a cleft but it couldn't cause issues since he is not FTT. He then told me Dr Kotlow had all but sold me snake oil since lip ties don't cause nursing issues and posterior tongue ties don't exist. We have an appt with an ENT since the plastic surgeon is a whack-a-doodle lol. We will most likely see a speech therapist for feeding therapy to help improve his oral motor function.
"whack-a-doodle" I love that word. It so perfectly describes that doctor!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_roehm23 View Post
WOW! Sometimes ignorance is really astounding!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know the upper lip tie can cause pain, but with a little repositioning it doesn't cause many issues. (Making sure the lip is flanged out while nursing). It took me until dd was almost 6 months to figure that one out.
My aunt is in her late 50s and her dr told her that she has that type of palate. My grandma didn't nurse her (or any of her kids she swears that the dr told her she couldn't nurse because she has "inverted nipples" which I suppose is possible but I have seen my gran naked and she doesn't= stupid dr is the 1940s.) But her palate doesn't cause her ANY problems in the 40 years before she knew.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote