Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question NB diaper pattern suggestions

Thinking ahead here.....If we have another baby one day (please Jesus!), I'd like to make a bunch of TINY diapers so that baby can be in them from day 1. We have a FULL stash of one sized pockets but we can't put a newbie in them until after the cord stump falls off. I'd like to avoid sposies all together next time. I like these diapers and LOVE the ease of this tutorial...

http://www.owlhaven.net/2011/12/06/h...-cloth-diaper/

However, I'd like a few changes....I'd notch out an area for the cord, which I can figure out myself. And I'd like to avoid the trouble of snaps and velcro and would like something simliar but where I can just snappie the tabs. I don't really care if its a pocket, AIO, or something different. I trust your judgement. So do you have any links, or tutorials? Or can I just snappie this pattern? The tabs look close together but since I've never used a snappie, I don't know how close or far apart the tabs need to be to snappie. Hoping to make some this month to try out on my friend's newbie who is expected at the end of the month.

THANKS!

Advertisement

zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Rita's Rump Pocket is nice, my ds was 9 10, and with these folded for a newbie I liked them. I've made a couple this week for my lo on the way.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm going to be making these soon.

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=m...spzvoBQ6VbJXTQ
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: NB diaper pattern suggestions

It doesn't matter how close the tabs are they can even overlap to snappi. You just hook the snappi at the hips or where ever gives you a good stretch. Easy cheesy. I've never had great luck snappi-ing flannel/woven unless it's the SUPER cheap stuff that has a looser weave. I would use jersey or thermal material for the best snappi experience. These would be really easy to pin as well. One on each hip or just one in the middle (depending on the size).
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
P.S. I've made a couple of these and they're GREAT! Very good size and I love that the snaps are already lined out even with the cord snap.
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyscreation

P.S. I've made a couple of these and they're GREAT! Very good size and I love that the snaps are already lined out even with the cord snap.
Thats great to know! Now just need snap pliers and fabric

Can you tell me what a good fabric for the soaker would be?
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I have the full bought pattern (very similar). Two of my 3 have been in cloth from birth in DDU's made by me. I always make the larger of the 2 sizes as my smallest was 7lb11oz.
I also have Nappy Network nappies in my homemade stash too.
I like this one and it fitted my larger baby fine well over 8lbs.
http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/images/shars_newborn_umbilical.pdf. Actually any of the free patterns and tutorials on the nappy network are awesome.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was also going to recommend the Shar's Newborn from the Nappy Network
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm making a nb set for mine using the DD pattern (linked above) I am really liking how easy they are going together- I have 8 done so far- you could easily just leave off the snaps and use a snappi if you wanted.

I'm using an outer cotton knit, inners of either OBV or CV or cotton sherpa (whatever I have that matches the outer) and hidden layer of bamboo fleece with 2 layers of bf sewn to the inner.

Here are the first 6 I did- 1 of them I did T&T, but I decided I like the serged better.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I don't know why I'm so set on the whole snappie thing. Probably just for ease of sewing....one less step. I'd do velcro, but would rather not buy a snap thingy. But knowing we have a full stash, I just wanted something totally simple as it will basically just be for the first few weeks. So if I did the snappie thing, and used a knit fabric for the outer layer of the diaper, could I do flannel for the inner layer? Someone mentioned snappies don't work great on the flannel. Didn't know if that meant both layers. Maybe I'll just use some old T shirts for the outer layer. And I'd have to turn and topstitch as I don't have a serger so I'm actually glad to see that example.
Thanks!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote