Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pos strep b test?

Ok...what in the world is strep b? how do you get it? and why is it necessary to keep you and baby in hospital for 48 hours after the birth???

Advertisement

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Re: pos strep b test?

Here's a good link that has info from both sides of the story: http://onyx-ii.com/birthsong/page.cfm?gbs

As for what it is, its a normal bacteria that can colonize your intestines and vagina and if the baby is exposed to it at birth, there is a very slight risk (about 0.5%) that they could get a systemic infection, but it can be fatal if they do get sick. So usually they will give you IV antibiotics during labor and then monitor the baby for signs of infection. However, there are risks to receiving antibiotics during labor and there are alternatives such as an herbal vaginal wash, etc... There is less risk of transmission if they leave your bag of waters intact as long as possible and refrain from vaginal exams. One complication with getting antibiotics during labor is that the baby also does not receive the normal good bacteria and may have digestive problems, colic, and allergies. It also sets up antibiotic resistant bacteria in the baby (and you) which could also potentially cause problems later. I encourage you to research it and ask your doctor/midwife about all the options and make the best decision for you if you should test positive.

Last edited by hollydlr; 04-18-2007 at 08:24 PM.
hollydlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydlr View Post
Here's a good link that has info from both sides of the story: http://onyx-ii.com/birthsong/page.cfm?gbs

As for what it is, its a normal bacteria that can colonize your intestines and vagina and if the baby is exposed to it at birth, there is a very slight risk (about 0.5%) that they could get a systemic infection, but it can be fatal if they do get sick. So usually they will give you IV antibiotics during labor and then monitor the baby for signs of infection. However, there are risks to receiving antibiotics during labor and there are alternatives such as an herbal vaginal wash, etc... There is less risk of transmission if they leave your bag of waters intact as long as possible and refrain from vaginal exams. One complication with getting antibiotics during labor is that the baby also does not receive the normal good bacteria and may have digestive problems, colic, and allergies. It also sets up antibiotic resistant bacteria in the baby (and you) which could also potentially cause problems later. I encourage you to research it and ask your doctor/midwife about all the options and make the best decision for you if you should test positive.

thanks mama!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

That's a great info link in the PP!

If a woman happens to test positive, my preceptor recommends a regimen of garlic and probiotics for minimizing the risk of infecting the baby. She also refrains from rupturing the membranes and is incredibly sparing with the vaginal exams (preferrably only one - sometimes none at all).

I (personally) would avoid the antibiotic route unless there was extremely prolonged rupture of membranes.
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah, GBS. The bane of my pregnancies.

That is a great link above and the other mamas have shared some great info! It is possible to avoid antibiotics in labor, but not in the hospital setting. A good midwife should be able to help with herbal remedies. I used garlic, had no internal exams, and my bag of waters intact until pushing during my last pregnancy/labor and my baby was just fine.(homebirth)
Old 04-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Monetlily2
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I had PSB for both of my pregnancies (hospital deliveries) and got IV medication with no problems. I've never heard of a hospital holding your baby that length of time. With both of ours we went home 6 hours after delivery.

Good luck to you. Really it's not that big a deal. I probably have it this time too. I am 4 weeks away from due date now.
Monetlily2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

I tested positive for this in two out of my three pregancies (too soon to know about this one yet).

I had hospital births and had no problems with the antiobiotics (and they were only able to get one dose in because I have SUPER fast labors). They DID keep the babies (and me) for 48 hours.....

No problems with anyone~ Thankfully it wasn't a problem but if not treated it could be fatal for the baby.....be sure to read up on it and know your stuff!
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it in my last two pregnancies. My third was a hospital birth and I let them do the antibx - I'd have been fine without them though.
My fourth baby was born at home and we dealt with the GBS a few weeks before she was born. I have a contact allergy to garlic, so I did a lavender water vaginal rinse 2x/day for about a week and that got rid of it. Honestly, we still were not real concerne about it though. I give birth very quickly (never pushed for more than 10min) and my water does not break until I'm pushing. Plus, I had Ellie in water.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by little*sprouts*garden View Post
I tested positive for this in two out of my three pregancies (too soon to know about this one yet).

I had hospital births and had no problems with the antiobiotics (and they were only able to get one dose in because I have SUPER fast labors). They DID keep the babies (and me) for 48 hours.....

No problems with anyone~ Thankfully it wasn't a problem but if not treated it could be fatal for the baby.....be sure to read up on it and know your stuff!
If you had it in your previous pregnancies, they may not even test you. It's something that is in you naturally (either you're a carrier or you're not). They may check to see if it's colonized close to your due date, but most dr's will just do the antbx during delivery if you have a history.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
undrthtblndrumng
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had some problems with GBS during my DS delivery so I do support the 48h holding if there are other indications of infection (like mama having a high fever and baby having a fever). My water broke on it's own early on and we delt with a lot of GBS problems because I didn't think it was necessary to stay. I don't want to scare you at all because usually there is no problem and dc won't have any problem either but I just wanted to tell you that they aren't being unreasonable or overbearing when they suggest staying a little longer. They really are looking out for the wellbeing of you and your little one.
Amie: SAHM of BooBooBear, BudderBums, LittleMiss, and soon to be Bean #4
Married to my highschool sweetheart
undrthtblndrumng is offline   Reply With Quote