Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
shllywlly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you protect your kids?

For those of you who are non-vaxing or delayed/selective vaxing...how do you keep your kids from getting some of the illnesses? We've decided to Delay/selective vax. Although my DS is fully vaxed we're not getting CP, HIB, Flu shot, prevnar, or rotateq. We will get Hep A, Hep B, and Polio before we go overseas (we both work for the feds so there is no option). We will start when she's 12 months with DTAP spaced 2 months apart and then MMR with no booster.

My question is...how do you prevent your kids from getting the measles or mumps or whooping cough. Although I don't want them getting the vax, I also don't want them to be sick either. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you protect your kids?

look into homeopathic treatments - as I understand it they are supposed to strengthen the immune system - I am not sure, but possibly protect against specific diseases - read up on it or talk to a homeopathic doctor... GL - I am interested in this myself but haven't have time to do the research myself yet...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am unique in that I really want my kids to get Measels, Mumps, Rubella and chickenpox especially while they are young. I want them to have that life long immunity and I believe that childhood illnesses make kids healthier overall. Have you ever read about the studies that prove that kids whose parents over sanitise and try to protect them from germs develop worse allergies and auto immune problems? This is the same thing. I believe that healthy kids need to get normal childhood illnesses to develop strong healthy immune systems to last their whole lifetime. Plus I am just plain not afraid of those particular diseases. Its like being afraid of Roseola or fifths disease or hand foot and mouth disease. These are just a normal part of childhood. The only difference is that they don't have a vax for them yet. My dad had all of them and can't understand what the fuss is about. Everyone he knows had those diseases as kids, that is just how it was then. Its the same as everyone I know had chickenpox. You get itchy, you miss school for a week and you get well. And you are immune for the rest of your life.

I would do more research about the diseases in your position before making any decisions. The best way I know of to get comfortable selectively, delaying or not vaxing, is by informing yourself about the diseases and how to treat them. Diseases like HIB may not be ones you want to worry about. I don't know what to tell you about polio and whooping cough. I can tell you that I had whooping cough and it sucks, but I got better, and I was fully vaxed for it. Having the vax is no garuntee. Good hygene, healthy diet, appropriate physical activity, and avoiding people who are obviously ill are the best precautions you can take, and they should be taken wether you fully vax or selectively vax, or don't vax at all. Check out the sticky at the top of the page for some links for more info too.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well here's my take on it. We will do, for this "round" of kids, the same as we did for the older round of kids. KWIM? The older kids we're fully vaxed in 'compliance' with the schedule at the time and there weren't as many vaxes then as there are now! So I figure whatever we did then worked. Who knows, they may have even got some of these "new" diseases and are healthy all the same. Am I rambling

basically basical precautionary measures (ie avoiding an acute case) and healthy lifestyle is the key. The same should go for those that do vax to schedule, too.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not everyone exposed will get the disease. Not everyone vaxed will NOT get the disease. I decided the vax was scarier than the disease. So I protect my kids from the toxins etc in the vaccines and I "don't" protect from the illnesses. The illnesses are pretty uncommon, especially these days in this country. If I didn't have an immunocompromised child I would *seek* certain illnesses for my other kids.
As far as protecting: wash hands frequently, teach your kids that habit.
LET them catch colds and play in dirt so their immune systems learn to be effective, and "practice" fighting things off. Eat healthy foods, play hard every day. Laugh a lot. Read about the diseases, and know the symptoms and the natural/homeopathic remedies. This maximizes protection and minimizes complications.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, DS probably has Chicken Pox right now! Do I want him to have it, yes and no. Sure, it's not fun. But he gains lifetime immunity and we're done with it. Shingles is on the rise in teenagers because of all the CP vaxes these day. It was almost unheard of in teens before the vaccine.

Whooping Cough terrifies me. Really. I never ever want him to have that. BUT, from the research I've done, the Pertussis vaccine is the least effective on the market and one of the scariest vaccines. I have found thousands of SIDS deaths within hours or days of receiving the shot. There is no way that's by chance, imo. Why would I give him something that can seriously harm him, when it doesn't prevent the disease it's suppose to prevent anyways? kwim?

Vaccines wear off anyways. And most adults never get their boosters. Sure, some do, but most don't. So really come about 20 something we're all walking around exposed and unprotected anyways.

And, the last thing is, think if you have a girl, her catching something during pregnancy. Causing all sorts of harm to her unborn child. She NEEDS to catch certain things as a child so that she and her future children are not in danger.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My children are not vaxed, and honestly i really dont worry about them getting the diseases. If they do, we'll deal with it then. Like a PP said, most of the diseases arent really that awful.. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, & Chicken Pox are all generally mild (my mom had them all.. and she was vaxed!)Id much rather my children develop natural immunity than get a vax, but that just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaStarr View Post
My children are not vaxed, and honestly i really dont worry about them getting the diseases. If they do, we'll deal with it then. Like a PP said, most of the diseases arent really that awful.. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, & Chicken Pox are all generally mild (my mom had them all.. and she was vaxed!)Id much rather my children develop natural immunity than get a vax, but that just my opinion.
I completely agree.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Well, DS probably has Chicken Pox right now! Do I want him to have it, yes and no. Sure, it's not fun. But he gains lifetime immunity and we're done with it. Shingles is on the rise in teenagers because of all the CP vaxes these day. It was almost unheard of in teens before the vaccine.

Whooping Cough terrifies me. Really. I never ever want him to have that. BUT, from the research I've done, the Pertussis vaccine is the least effective on the market and one of the scariest vaccines. I have found thousands of SIDS deaths within hours or days of receiving the shot. There is no way that's by chance, imo. Why would I give him something that can seriously harm him, when it doesn't prevent the disease it's suppose to prevent anyways? kwim?

Vaccines wear off anyways. And most adults never get their boosters. Sure, some do, but most don't. So really come about 20 something we're all walking around exposed and unprotected anyways.

And, the last thing is, think if you have a girl, her catching something during pregnancy. Causing all sorts of harm to her unborn child. She NEEDS to catch certain things as a child so that she and her future children are not in danger.

POX PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE !!!
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post

POX PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE!! I'LL BRING THE CALOMINE !!
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote