Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
drabo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ADHD meds

My ds is 4.5 and will be starting ADHD meds soon. We didn't want to start with him so young, but after a talk with his neurologist and lots of thought, we feel it is in his best interest. We are unsure if he has something else, like ASD. He does have development delays. Anyway, how old was your child when they started meds and what type? TIA-

Advertisement

ISO 2T waterproof snap trainers, especially GroVia
drabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: ADHD meds

My youngest DS is ADHD and just got on clonidine for sleep (his older brother has been on it since 18 months). He really needs more as he is impossible to manage and still not sleeping due to his hyperactivity. I am hoping Jan 20th when we go back for the follow up with teh developemental pedi, we will begin discussing aderall! My son is only 2 1/2 but is VERY severe!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
drabo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He rarely gets enough sleep, which is an issue. I always ask at the doctor, but they don't seem to think it is an problem. He also has fear issues, which don't help in the sleep area. He still comes into bed with us and wakes as soon as I get up.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
ralenth
Registered Users

My son was diagnosed at 7 with ADHD and ODD, and at 9 1/2 with Aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety (just for the record). I've known since 2 that there was something different about him, and have been asking for non-medicine type help. At 8, we started ADHD meds, and melatonin. Both have made a world of difference in his life. It doesn't change the anxiety, or the fear, or anything about him, but makes it easier for him to live in his own skin (if that makes sense). Ask about melatonin for sleep. Kids with ADHD and autism often don't produce enough of it naturally, and hence have trouble sleeping. He still has his late nights, but not nearly as often as he used to.

We started with Stratterra, and it just didn't work. Then we tried Focalin, and that works wonders for him. It gets tweaked every year or so.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
drabo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is going to start him on a very low dosage, not sure what yet.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
dailyamayzed
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS will be 5 in April. We started therapy last jan (he was 3) and eventually got an ADHD dx along with SPD & ODD & etc... We started meds with the Ped in August. 1st- Intuniv (went badly, he was very emotional and hyper sensory) 2nd. Kapvay (similar bad side effects). Then we went to get an evaluation by a psychiatrist. He started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily. It really helped, but he had horrible melt downs when the meds wore off. We tried an "all day" ritalin (can't remember the name). That was still helpful, but having melt downs thru the day... I just got a scrip for Dexadrine and hope its better.

FWIW, my psych said he would have prescribed aderall but for the shortage and lack of availability.

Ask tons of questions about the meds and also be prepared for trial and error... its a process.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
dailyamayzed
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh, and we also use melatonin. I was told to start at 1mg for a young child and work up to what is helpful. Give it at sunset/ dinner time. It is VERY helpful.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was diagnosed in 2 grade. So she was 7. She's almost 15 now and I can't recall what med she started on. She could not swallow a pill yet so it was a capsule I could open and pour into apple sauce and she would take that way. After that she went on Srattera which I took her off within 3 weeks. We did Adderall and Adderall a longer lasting one I think the bottle said XR we used that until last year. Worked well for us. My daughter started 9th grade this year I told her she could go off her meds and we will see how she does. She came to me last month and says she wants to go back on. I'm just waiting on insurance right now. My DH is out of work.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
drabo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank for the info. I have heard it is a lot of trial and error, so am a bit nervous about that. I don't know anything about the different types, so am lost. DH was on Ritalin for years, so I am tempted to think that would be best.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Sigrid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama,
Just wanted to say that we are in the same position and thinking of meds too. We are working with behavioral therapy and are seeing OT and SLP and both help a lot, but not enough. DS will be 5 in March and starting Kindergarden in the fall which is making me very nervous.