Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *May 2011 Mamas - January Chat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
We still cannot get him to do solids. I emailed our midwife after the last run in with our ped. She said she's had lots of babies who weren't ready for solids in the first year, recommend Dr. Sears' family nutrition book. So, he's still gaining and hitting milestones on just Mama milk...so guess we are ok with it! I feel pretty good about myself actually, breastfeeding has been so much easier this time. Go me
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
Rachel - your ability to sustain your LO on only breast milk still gives me hope. I have had such a hard time with BFing that I feel like I'm in a constant state of worry. (Still! Despite starting solids. Lots and lots of solids.) I have hope that with my next babes that I'll be able to BF without having to worry so much. I think the part of my problem is that DS was blessed with DHs genes - long and lean! He's a wiry little baby.
We're actually delaying solids until DS's first birthday because of my severe food allergies (the kind you have to carry an epi-pen for PLUS a whole bunch of random crossover skin stuff) and he's also hitting his milestones just fine. He definitely got some of my genes--also long and lean like your LO Julia--me and my siblings were all skinny little kids. I get mixed reactions when people find out we're still EBFing, one woman's pedi told her that babies can't survive on BM past six months! My goal of one year is pretty dependent on my output at work though, it's a mixed blessing that I'm only working part-time because I can pump extra on my days off to make up the difference in what DS eats while I'm gone. If we get to the point where I'm not producing enough to match or come close, we'll have to decide if we want to supplement with formula or just start solids. 8 months and going strong though! I've already beat most of the statistics! I looked up Maryland's breastfeeding report card and I'm currently one of like 13% EBFing to six months (the report doesn't go past 6!) so yay!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks girls

Juliabell - I was in your exact spot with Quinn. Bfing was SO stressful, I never imagined we could be EBF at 8 months this time around and be in the 50% for weight. Q was in the 10% even after we started solids! Don't give up hope!

I also feel you on the vaccine front. I struggle with which ones to do. Right now we follow the selective schedule that Dr. Sears has. I will strongly consider catching them up when they start school, but for now, I'm happy with the 4 that we do.

Cherrycoke, I'm glad you are delaying solids, make me feel good to have someone else with us Food allergies can be so scary, I don't blame you for your choice. Seeing that number for "extended" bfing makes me sad and also kinda cracks me up, cuz I wonder what percentage are still nursing their 29 month old

~Rachel
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke View Post
8 months and going strong though! I've already beat most of the statistics! I looked up Maryland's breastfeeding report card and I'm currently one of like 13% EBFing to six months (the report doesn't go past 6!) so yay!
This boggles the mind. Where can I look up this info? I can't BELIEVE that only 13% of moms EBF to six months. That's the standard recommendation! We started solids right around 6 months because of my low supply and DS was jonesing for more. He just scarfs it down. He's going to eat me out of house and home someday (totally takes after his daddy.)

My dear SIL made a comment about how she just couldn't understand baby-led weaning (which I had mentioned a friend doing.) She said that she "believes in feeding your child." ......what? She can't even comprehend BFing past 6 months. Told me that "most women think doing it past 5 months is gross." GROSS. That's the word she used. So now, at almost 8 months, I make sure everytime we're around them, I whip out some boob and feed the babe. Just to rub it in her face.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm
This is the site I got the report card from, you have to download a PDF to see how your state stacks up (look on the right side where it says "Download This Report"), I like that they're actually tracking this but think it's silly they don't even bother tracking EXCLUSIVE BFing past 6 months, they track BFing to a year but not EBFing, I guess they figure there aren't enough people doing it to make it worth following...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't believe I haven't managed to post since New Year's. Hope everyone is doing well!! DD is now crawling on her knees a little bit and actually pulled herself up to sitting and to sit on her knees to peek into a box. So cute! And so heartbreaking! I can't believe we are nearing the 8 month mark. Geesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
This boggles the mind. Where can I look up this info? I can't BELIEVE that only 13% of moms EBF to six months. That's the standard recommendation! We started solids right around 6 months because of my low supply and DS was jonesing for more. He just scarfs it down. He's going to eat me out of house and home someday (totally takes after his daddy.)

My dear SIL made a comment about how she just couldn't understand baby-led weaning (which I had mentioned a friend doing.) She said that she "believes in feeding your child." ......what? She can't even comprehend BFing past 6 months. Told me that "most women think doing it past 5 months is gross." GROSS. That's the word she used. So now, at almost 8 months, I make sure everytime we're around them, I whip out some boob and feed the babe. Just to rub it in her face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke View Post
http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm
This is the site I got the report card from, you have to download a PDF to see how your state stacks up (look on the right side where it says "Download This Report"), I like that they're actually tracking this but think it's silly they don't even bother tracking EXCLUSIVE BFing past 6 months, they track BFing to a year but not EBFing, I guess they figure there aren't enough people doing it to make it worth following...
Wow! Where I live it is only 8.2%! I am really stunned also. Both of my kids were EBF to 6 months. Thanks for this info! I found with my DS that he wasn't interested in solids during the recommended time. I kept pressing on but with DD I'm going to take my time getting started. She has had cereal maybe 3x in the last month or two.

I can definitely relate when it comes to vaccines. That is such a tough call. We also vaccinate on an alternate schedule although not one in particular. We did not do Rotavirus vaccine and also skipped HepB. My DD's ped didn't think these were most important and wanted to focus on respiratory because she thought DD would be more at risk for complications if she got pertussis, pneumonia, etc. At first she only got one vaccine at a time and then I felt comfortable with her getting 2 at a time but never more than one new vaccine so we could know how she was going to react. She hasn't had any reactions yet either.

Julia - I hope your LO is finally recovering from his vaccine reaction! AND, I cannot believe your SIL said that. Especially, only 5 months?! I thought I would stop BFing at 1 year with my DS but when a year got here, he still seemed so little. He was still a baby. He still nursed (a LOT) and I couldn't imagine it. He ended up going on to nurse another year. After a while it was mostly at night or once or twice during the day.

Rachel - I'm so glad BFing is going so well for you this go-around! That's so great!!

Last edited by justineybean; 01-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippytoe View Post
Happy New Year, mamas. Okay, any new year's resolutions??
Mine is just to declutter!! I'm in the process of redecorating my kitchen/family room and I'm feeling the need to clear out what's taking up space!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
Agreed! And to try and smile more everyday, staying in present and focusing on my little family and not the extended drama. It's day 3 and I'm already struggling!

Hope everyone is having a great new years.
Oh!! I love New Year's. My resolutions are to also be more present and not worry as much about the future and things that are out of my control. Also to set a better example for my family by taking care of myself - eating better, exercising, practicing kindness and compassion. And managing my time better. This one's so hard for me. I have never been good with scheduling at home but I'm going to try to get into more a rhythm.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ohhh these babies. Everytime I think I've got things under control, they just turn around and do something absolutely bonkers.

I think DS is going through some separation anxiety. He wakes in the middle of the night, turns in his crib to face the door, and cries. It breaks my heart. I, of course, go in there and help him get back to sleep. But another side of me wishes he was still the little peanut that could sleep next to me in the cosleeper. He needs his own space to sleep in or else he doesn't sleep well because of DH getting up, the dog getting up, etc. But when he wakes up and needs me, I wish he didn't feel like I wasn't there

He didn't previously do this, he used to sleep 12 hours a night like a champ. And he still does. He just wakes once or twice. A couple nights ago he just would NOT go back to sleep. And cried and cried in my arms and at my boob. But last night he fell right back asleep in my arms (I used to be able to pat him back to sleep.) I know this too shall pass, but I'm tired, lol. And I can't drink a ton of coffee or he will be bouncing off the walls!

Hope you're all doing well. My parents are coming to visit on Saturday and my mom will stay for a couple of weeks. It will be nice to have a maid LOL. She likes to clean while here. And she and I get along so well now. They're actually going to look at condos nearby and plan on spending some of their year up here now. Isn't it funny? 10 years ago you couldn't have paid me to live near my parents. Now I want them up the street!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Julia I'm sorry you are struggling with your DS's sleep. There are definitely advantages as they get older but the simplicity of their needs in those first days and weeks is hard not to miss. You're right, this will pass. It doesn't make it any easier right now though. Hope tonight is better! Oh how wonderful to have your mama with you for a few weeks. Enjoy her! And her help. Last month, after we moved, my dad took home a few loads of my laundry to help me catch up. It was so appreciated! And he is so great with my kids! Things certainly come around!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
Julia I'm sorry you are struggling with your DS's sleep. There are definitely advantages as they get older but the simplicity of their needs in those first days and weeks is hard not to miss. You're right, this will pass. It doesn't make it any easier right now though. Hope tonight is better! Oh how wonderful to have your mama with you for a few weeks. Enjoy her! And her help. Last month, after we moved, my dad took home a few loads of my laundry to help me catch up. It was so appreciated! And he is so great with my kids! Things certainly come around!
Love this

Well, the other night wasn't great. He woke up at 3am, and was wide awake. Didn't fall back asleep until 5am. Woke up at 6am, fell back asleep at 7am. Then slept until 10:30am. Then wouldn't nap hardly at all - 2 30min naps for the whole day. I only managed to get about 4-5 hours of sleep that night and so was on the verge of losing it all day. One of those days where you just cry off an on and barely hang by a thread.

Last night put him down and went to bed early with the intentions of sleeping. Then I had so much anxiety and worry that he would wake up that I couldn't seem to nod off. And I was on the verge of a panic attack and felt like I wasn't taking in enough oxygen. DH was so great, he rubbed my back and helped me relax until I felt okay. The good news was DS didn't wake up at all and slept 12 hours straight. Not sure what it was - either he was just exhausted or it was because I turned off the nightlight on the baby monitor.

So I got more sleep and feel better today. DS is napping over an hour now so that's great. Hopefully we're back on track. Don't want to jinx it though.

It was one of those times I really appreciate my husband. He told me this morning that he was so happy DS had slept all night but if he had woken up he was just going to go in and deal with it and let me rest. I can complain up and down about the silly things DH does sometimes, but then it's things like this that make me remember why I married him.

Hope you're all doing well! Today I'm making yogurt for the first time since DS is downing it like there's no tomorrow and I'm going to try and clean up for my parents visit.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ooo! Let us know how your yogurt turns out!

I'm glad your little guy slept last night, hoping it continues I know that running on 3 hours of sleep feeling!

~Rachel