Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Face Wash?

A friend just told me that some facial cleansers aren't safe to use when you're pregnant.... what?? Have you heard anything about cleansing chemicals or ingredients to avoid?

Advertisement

Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Face Wash?

Totally.

Well...we avoid those chemicals all the time but I would think like salyclic(sp?) acid is a no go. I remember reading something on babycenter about it. i'll look for ya...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
philenabean
Registered Users

Supposed to avoid salicylic acid, and I avoid benzoyl peroxide. I have read that it's more important to avoid the high percentages of salicylic acid that you would find in a peel or corn/callous remover pads. Salicylic acid is also found in aspirin, I think, and that's one of the reasons to avoid aspirin. That being said, I still use Carmex on my lips, which has less than 1% salicylic acid, and I probably wouldn't sweat using a facewash with a low percentage either.
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Buffy1023
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

when I was pregnant with DD, someone(a family member I think) said that you couldn't use proactive during pregnancy because of the retinol? Or something like that. I think I heard clearasil was also bad during pregnancy for some reason.
I steer clear of cleaners anyways since I have heard so many bad things about them. I use Dr. Bronners Magic Soap Bars. Use it on my body and face and it works great for me!

http://swagbucks.com/refer/MamaLiz8056 join now and see what you can earn!
Buffy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just found this on The Bump

1. Accutane This retinoid (or vitamin A derivative) taken orally for severe acne is known to cause birth defects of the brain and heart. Doctors even recommend waiting at least 30 days after discontinuing the drug before you try to conceive. You should also avoid applying any topical retinoid products, including Avage, Differin, Renova, Retin-A, retinols, retinyl palmitate and Tazorac.

2. Tetracycline This antibiotic acne treatment has been shown to cross the placenta, potentially staining the developing baby's teeth and impairing skeletal growth. It should also be avoided if you are nursing, as it is excreted in breast milk.

3. Topical salicylic acid This beta hydroxy acid that's used on acne-prone skin has not been shown to be harmful, but when taken orally, salicylic acid (aka aspirin) has been associated with birth defects and bleeding later in pregnancy. Dermatologists suggest avoiding salicylic acid in any form.

4. Benzoyl peroxide While there have been no animal or human studies on the use of benzoyl peroxide, an antibacterial ingredient, during pregnancy, some may be absorbed when it is applied topically. You should avoid using products with this ingredient.
Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I need to find something that's safe. My pregnancy acne is starting to get terrible! I usually just wash my face with a Norwex body cloth and water but I have actual large pimples now and its gross!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
philenabean
Registered Users

Quote:
I need to find something that's safe. My pregnancy acne is starting to get terrible! I usually just wash my face with a Norwex body cloth and water but I have actual large pimples now and its gross!
My face was so good during the first trimester. Now I look like I'm 14 again! I'll continue to use my normal Oil Cleansing Method routine that I've used since pregnant with DD2. I use strictly olive oil, and my face (until now) has never looked better.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
kierstenw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DDC:

Avoid salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and retinol. This applies mainly to topical creams and OTC acne medications that will remain on your skin throughout the day. I don't think it's as big a deal with cleansers since you wash them off right away. I've switched to Belli face wash (formulated specifically for pregnancy, available at ULTA and Sephora) and witch hazel (as an astringent.) No creams or gels.

I haven't had body acne this bad since I was on the dance team in high school, practicing twice a day in the FL heat. Luckily it's winter, so I'm covered most of the time anyway. *sigh*
Mommy to our anniversary babe, Josie (5/8/12) and bb#2 due in September!

kierstenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philenabean View Post
My face was so good during the first trimester. Now I look like I'm 14 again! I'll continue to use my normal Oil Cleansing Method routine that I've used since pregnant with DD2. I use strictly olive oil, and my face (until now) has never looked better.
Hmm, olive oil. I'll have to try that but I'll wait till this ickiness clears up. It seems like it might aggravate it!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
philenabean
Registered Users

You'd be surprised how soothing and calming olive oil can be...